Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 12-28-2005

Default Will the new products be better than my current?

In my sig you can see what I use. I like the 3 step system, since I just don't throw a wax coat on after a wash. To my wife's dismay it can take me 4 hours just to wash and detail. So far I've only clayed once, only planning on once a year. It's time to clay again, but I've noticed some new products and have questions.

Are any of the newer items better for what I do, which is just being proud of a 4 hour detail job and a two hour wax job? If so, can I use products from step 1 and 2, then use a new wax product?

CALIFORNIA GOLDĂ
SEALER AND GLAZE ˝ PHASE 2

CALIFORNIA GOLDĂ
NATURAL FORMULA
PURE CARNAUBA WAX ˝ PHASE 3

CALIFORNIA GOLD
CLAY BAR PAINT SAVING SYSTEM
Old 12-28-2005
Administrator

Default Re: Will the new products be better than my current?

dbthump,

Clay bar and Pre-Wax Cleaner should be used once or twice a year.

Sealer & Glaze followed by Pure Carnauba can be used as often as you like; you can also use Carnauba by itself as often as you like, but unless your car is under extreme environmental conditions, it likely only needs it once or twice a month at most.

If you can tell us more about your vehicle, it's paint finish and condition, how often you're doing the Ultimate Wax System, and how happy you are with the results, you'll probably get some good feedback from the others on this forum.

Old 12-28-2005

I drive a Nissan Altima '03 2.5 S. I drive about 50-70 total miles a day to work (2 hours daily). I would say that overall the paint is at least in good condition, but not mint. I park outside at home and at work. I live in Tampa, Fl. where it is brutally hot during the summer.

I prefer to wash at least once a month, and then like to follow that with steps two and three (have not done step one at all yet). However every other month is more likely when doing the full detail and wax.

I've had the three step system since my first washing of this car. It was new from the dealer and was also my first new car. I LOVE THE RESULTS! I can't imagine the results getting any better, but obviously I trust you guys.

CALIFORNIA GOLDĂ

CALIFORNIA GOLDĂ
NATURAL FORMULA

CALIFORNIA GOLD
Old 12-28-2005
Mothers« Polish

If it were me and my car, I'd consider washing a little more often (twice a week since the car sits outside all the time), claying twice a year, defect removal (polishing) twice a year, and using a synthetic like FX SynWax every 2-4 weeks. Since it's so easy to use, I doubt it would take 20 minutes to apply and remove to your Altima.

I'd also strongly consider a quality car cover made of NOAH or Evolution material - it'll protect from industrial fallout, sun, and the harsh environment. I'd use it at work and at home.

BTW, on your wheels, I'm still not sure what to say about their finish. When in doubt, use soap and water only.

I'm still looking in to it.
Old 12-28-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest T.
...I'd consider washing a little more often (twice a week since the car sits outside all the time)...
Twice a week! Wow. Honestly, I'd wash it weekly if I could but two kids less than 3 years old makes that rather tuff.

So you feel that FX SynWax is better than the carnuba? Therefore simply replace it with the FX SynWax and I'll get better protection?

Thanks again here and in the wheel forum.

CALIFORNIA GOLDĂ

CALIFORNIA GOLDĂ
NATURAL FORMULA

CALIFORNIA GOLD
Old 12-29-2005

I would go with the FX Synwax instead of the carnauba. You can still use the Pre-wax Cleaner and Sealer and Glaze as previously discussed.

The FX is the easiest wax to use that I have ever picked up. It goes on easy and comes off really easy. It leaves the finish very slick, and the protection is pretty good. Plus, the FX makes your paint really "pop" because it has a brilliant shine. FX is a lot more user friendly than the carnauba, but both are good waxes.
Old 12-30-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama
I would go with the FX Synwax instead of the carnauba. You can still use the Pre-wax Cleaner and Sealer and Glaze as previously discussed.

The FX is the easiest wax to use that I have ever picked up. It goes on easy and comes off really easy. It leaves the finish very slick, and the protection is pretty good. Plus, the FX makes your paint really "pop" because it has a brilliant shine. FX is a lot more user friendly than the carnauba, but both are good waxes.
One thing I've always liked about the carnuba is that it too goes on nice and smooth and comes off easy as well. The results have always been fantastic, but the FX being smoother and better, NO WAY! . Gonna have to try it.

Thanks for the help guys.

CALIFORNIA GOLDĂ

CALIFORNIA GOLDĂ
NATURAL FORMULA

CALIFORNIA GOLD
Old 12-30-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbthump
Twice a week! Wow. Honestly, I'd wash it weekly if I could but two kids less than 3 years old makes that rather tuff.
I agree with Forrest that washing more often would make much more sense. I cannot conceive of waiting an entire month to wash my car, and it's garaged most of the time. The risk of damage to the paint is too great, in my opinon. Two weeks is the longest I ever go without washing my car, and my car is garaged, and I'm using an instant detailer between washes.

If you can't wash it yourself, how about a hand-car wash, or taking it to a touchless drive-in wash, on occasion? Not every wash we do has to be a "perfect" wash. Nor does every wash need to include the interior. A "quicky" exterior wash would suffice from time to time, and, in my opinion, would be far better than "no" wash.

If I had to keep my car outside, I would be washing it at least once a week, and then using an instant detailer like Showtime once or twice throughout that week just to keep up with the contaminants that your car is being exposed to.

I also like the idea of using the FX Spray Wax a couple of times throughout the month, to keep your wax job protected and your car shiny. It's really no more difficult to use than an instant detailer. You'll love the results -- not only will you see them but you'll feel them too!

I also agree with the car cover suggestion. If you can't garage your car, the next best thing is to cover it. Shielding your car from damaging UV rays and environmental contaminants is the best way to keep a car looking new. Period. A quality car cover can not only protect your car from the elements, but it would also keep it a lot cleaner, which could translate to less need to wash and to wax.

I have 2 cars, one that I garage, and one that I have to keep outside, due to the fact that I only have a one-car garage. My car cover keeps the outside stored car clean as a whistle. I rarely have to wash it -- or wax it. Mostly I just go over it with an Instant Detailer weekly, FX Spray Wax occasionally, and of course a periodic carnauba wax job.

The car cover will be a great time saver all the way 'round. Give it a try -- I think that you'll be very pleased with the results.

Last edited by Legendman; 12-30-2005 at 11:43 PM.
Closed Thread