Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 08-07-2007

Default Plastic Polish on Colored Platics?

The decsription says it is used to polish clear plastics. May this product be used on colored plastic? The items getting polished are new and won't have any scratches. I'm looking for something to keep the parts from getting dirty, and to cut down on "finger smears". Should I be looking for a carnuaba wax instead?

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-06-2007
Administrator

Default Re: Plastic Polish on Colored Platics?

Sorry for the late reply -- I guess it's somewhat of an obscure question...

"Clear" really refers to molded-in-color. Lenses of any color are included whether they're clear, amber or red.

You'd also want to use Plastic Polish (or PowerPlastic for that matter), on a smooth surface; using it on a textured surface will eventually smoothen it.

If your plastic part is painted, then you're treating paint, and then you'd be looking at a wax.

If you're not sure, please describe it and provide a photo and we'll try to help you out.
Old 02-24-2012

Even tho your plastic polish says its for headlights and clear plastics would your product work on colored plastics as well? I'm restoring an orange colored RC car and I've been sanding out the scratches. Will your product restore the sheen and shine it once had?
Old 02-25-2012
Administrator

Welcome to Wax Forum!

It really depends on the composite -- if it's hard like a headlight or taillight lens, it should work well.

Softer plastics may be difficult to polish out with any polish, simply by the nature of the plastic. If your RC brothers are using a plastic polish with success, you should feel confident ours will work also.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 03-31-2012

I don't think the plastic body on my RC is as dense or hard as a Headlight or tail light on a vehicle. I'd say its medium like your conventional plastic casing on any household appliance.

Would Mothers Plastic Polish work on medium plastic surfaces such as: home office printers, vacuum cleaners, computer casings, etc.? Not that I'd be using the polish on those things, just trying to give you an idea of the type of plastic I'll be working with.
Old 03-31-2012
Mothers® Polish

If those plastic surface are smooth, yes you could use it. But, if they are textured or grained, a polish would not be a good idea.
Closed Thread