Perpetual Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Crystal Guard Pro, application and first day appearance

OK, I procrastinated and procrastinated, and I finally did it. Here is what I did, and what I see.

If you watch the CG application video, you pick up a lot about how to use the products. My kudos to Jim Campos, for this video. IMO, it stresses the concept of "swirl and scratch free". Most shops that are going to apply the product will be dealerships, I think, and if they used typical dealership application techniques the results would be a mess. The video suggests a compressor and a gravity sprayer, but I don`t have those; foam applicator is the alternate method. IMO, the "spray on" is what Jim suggests for dealerships to avoid swirls. If you think about it, CG is going to be used in a lot of high end stores, and a Ferrari or Porsche with swirls is an abomination. (Heck, ANY car with swirls is an abomination.) In a multistep process, the possibilities for swirl introduction is multiplied. Most dealership employees are not going to pull out a fresh clean mf or applicator at each stage, so the spray, hose, and blot method is great.

I don`t have a wash booth, and it is in the 50*s these days, so I made do with what I have. After taking care with my procedure, I don`t have any more swirls than I used to.

All applicators were either mf-wrapped sponges (for the primer) or Meg`s foam; all removal towels were Excel`s mfs. In each case, I used about 1/3 of the product, which is about right for a Miata. The directions suggest 1/2 bottle for a medium sized car.

I washed the car outside, brought it inside and dried it (I should have left it wet, though, I watched the video midway through the application process :nono ). I applied the primer, which is a really nice wax and contaminant stripper. I took the car back outside and removed the primer coat with runnig water and a mf towel. The surface was downright squeaky. I dried with the vac & blo and a ww mf.

I applied the CG base coat with a Meg`s applicator. It goes on like wiping with a damp towel, no problem. I used no pressure. I waited about 3.5 hours, and removed the excess with a clean damp mf towel, followed by a dry mf. I then applied the top coat, and let it sit overnight, a little more than 12 hours.

This morning I used the same method to remove the top coat; damp mf followed by dry mf. I let the car sit about 90 minutes.

The appearance is SUPER HIGH REFLECTIVE, almost blinding. Really, it`s almost overwhelming. Whether or not this will stand up, I can`t say right now, obviously. You all know by now that I can`t let anything sit still for more than a couple weeks. I`ll do my best to hold off at least a month. The instructions say to avoid washing for a week; I can do that, anyhow.

I wish I had Zaino experience with this car, so that I could compare. As I applied the product, I kept thinking about how it was what I envisioned applying Z would be like. I have used Klasse, but not recently enough that I could make a comparison. CG is without question more reflective than anything I can remember using, and it doesn`t have that bluish look of the run-of-the-mill fluoropolymers either.

In the end, each of us has to consider the price to value ratio, and I might not be the right user to help out with that given my propensity to wax obsessively. Or, a user might value the highly reflective look more than the greenbacks in the pocket. Let me leave the product on for a while and I`ll comment on it later for you.

Tom

The automatic settings on my camera actually toned this shot down; I can barely look at the car from this angle:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    hows the Crystal guard holding up mosca? keep us updated.

Perpetual Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too soon to tell (only a week), but it`s one tough product.

I left the car in the garage for a week, as per Jim Campos` recommendation, to allow the product to harden.

I had a paintless dent repair done on my decklid, and the guy left a couple tiny marks. I went over the area with ScratchX, and then #9, and didn`t get any pigment on the pad AT ALL. Red NA Miatas are single stage, and very soft. Very impressive, in that regard. Still, I think that`s inconclusive, for now; I haven`tthought about it enough yet to find out why it happened.

Boss_429
    Tom,

It looks AWESOME! Looking forward to hearing some long term feedback (in your case..... as long term as possible............ about two weeks max )

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been to the shop that Jim works at to see the cars that he works on. I felt that the finish was really clear but seemed not to pickup the metallic that UPP does. I used it on my jeep and it looked great, can`t tell you how long it lasted because Iam always doing some thing to the car.

A buddy of mine has it on his car and loves it, but he`s one that only waxs his car once or twice a year!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    So how is this product holding up, any new pictures?
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    My Harley Dealer is trying to pawn this off on people......I like waxing, so it wasn`t for me

Keep us updated though, as these are not popular here on DC.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Thread Information