Post Thanks / Like

Back from Iraq and ready to DETAIL!!!

OK Fellas,
    Got back yesterday morning, Here`s what I need from you guys, PLEASE tell me your opnion on the best way to accomplish the task, If you think I need a different product or should not use one with another whatever let me know. Im going to practice on the wifes car anyway, so it is OK Also which products should I use with the PC and which should I use by hand? How should I use the product, work it till it is gone wait till it hazes then remove etc?

Ok 98 Artic silver paint, not garaged but very well kept, Mirrors, 2 doors, hood and bumpers all have new paint (less than 1 1/2 month old) plus all the spoilers around the bottom have new paint, actually, there is paint that ranges in age from 98 to present on different parts of the car. Minor scratches and water spots on roof and trunk. I have in my arsenal the following items. PC, Platinum UPP and Paint pre-cleaner, 3M Perfect-it SMR, P21S, Meguiar`s 6 1/2 backing plate and white, red, yellow pads plus a bottle of cleaner wax that I got with the PC. Also various MF towels and some clay. ALL HEL{P is appricated and I know you guys wont let me down so thanks in advance.

Death to white cars!
    Post Thanks / Like
    First of all... welcome back and thank you for serving our great country... it does not go unappreciated, especially by me.

As always, I would hit the paint with the least aggressive product, probably the Platinum paint cleaner. If that doesn`t touch it, go with the SMR. You could probably start with the cutting pad and the paint cleaner, then if that does nothing, use the SMR with the polishing. If it still needs more work, use the cutting with the SMR. Don`t let it haze - just keep working it until its about gone, then buff it off.

I`m sure if you experiment with these combinations, your results will turn out fine. If not, you may need either a slightly more aggressive polish, or more time working the paint with what you have.

Once you are done with the prep work, you should obviously seal it with 2 coats of UPP and, if you like, a top coat of P21S. That should make you happy!

Good luck and have fun. Now....get to work!
    "The 83-88 Monte SS - they just don`t make `em like that anymore...."

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back, brother in arms! I`m Army, how about you?

My first recommendation is as follows: Spend time with wife and family. The car is not going anywhere. In my house, sittin` on the couch watchin` TV is covered under the "spending time rule."

Next week (or week after). Eyeball your vehicle in some good sunlight and see what shape the paint is in. Are swirls visibile or is it pretty clean? I agree with 87 Monte that you should start with the least agressive product, but I don`t like to waste time on uneccessary steps. Start off with some clay, but keep the surface well lubricated at all times. Then go to your pre-cleaning or SMR step, which ever is required. Then top off as 87 Monte mentioned. I like UPP, but have yet to try P21S (though my credit card is itching for it!). Pinnacle makes a Paste Glaz that is supposed make Silver really pop.

Oh yeah, make sure you sweep up all the sand you tracked into the house

-Chief B
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back and thanks for the great work, take care of the wife before you start to play with your PC

I served in the AF right at the end of NAM

I`m a fan of washing drying and then useing the clay with QD spray. A cleaner or polish would be my next choice. Followed with a SMR for good measure, because this is a light color it might not need it, but since it been a while go for it.
    I like to glaze after that if you do not have any go to the wax. Your P21S would do the job
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rtbrick
    Welcome back, brother in arms! I`m Army, how about you?
    Thanks Everyone. Chief, I`m Army myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Outstanding! I like you more already!
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    Balucanb-I hope there is room for one more thanks.
    THANKS YOU GUYS KICKED SOME ARSE OVER THERE! i WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE.

I am a former Marine myself.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Welcome back Balucanb! Thanks for your support & work in Iraq. You guyz kicked AZZ!

-- As far as detailing, I`m new to this forum/detailing so can`t offer any great suggestions. I justed wanted to give you your Props!
    [ 2001 Cobra ]

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    My dad ws a Marine. And when they were showing it on TV, I kept hearing him mumble "I wish I could be there".

You guys did some great work, and they are still hard at it. Great work, and welcome home!
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Thread Information