Thread: Introducing...

Post Thanks / Like

Introducing...

Whats up everybody here in the forums. I`m the newest addition to your forums after just completing my registration. I live in Sacramento California. Things in life are going well, thanks, and over the last year or so I have been contemplating starting my own business...however I was unable to determine what business I was willing to venture into. My wife`s older brother is a hard working guy that enjoys detailing cars and does an awesome job.

We figure we have a solid 7-8 month period where business would be steady, but have questions about how winter will affect things. We hope that is one thing we can find out here from the experts before we get in too deep!

Thanks for having us, and we hope we can learn a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome JayJ,
    Winter can be a challenge for the full timers. It is certainly a slower time of year for everyone. I`m sure you will get some ideas from others about what they do in winter. I would tell you to have a plan to stay busy. Here is what I do in winter to try to stay busy.

1. I use this time of year to telemarket previous customers about what I can do to protect their cars from the savages of winter.
    2. I heavily market Child Care Centers. I have a group of Centers that send out my flyers in their newsletters, statements, etc.. about carpet shampooing. I offer a nice discount for certain months. Have had a nice response with this targeted marketing. The work sucks though since the cars are usually trashed from kid usage. Work is work though.
    3. I rely heavily on the office washes. Far more so than summer. CO uses magnesium chloride on the roads here which is hell on auto finishes. I`ve found that a good way to break into this market is to find one person in an office that is willing to help promote you. A good way to do this is to send an informative e-mail to that person about why washing is so important in winter, that person can forward it to their co-workers. For the key person, I tell them for every person they send me, I`ll give them 5 bucks off for each person. Usually that person will find 5 others so that their $25 wash and vac is free!
    Then try to upsell each of the 5 on other services.
    4. Get commercial fleet accounts - Companies always want their cars maintained. Be creative in this arena. Do the little extras that set you apart from your competitors. Regular accounts, though not as profitable, keep you working. I`d rather work for $10/than for nothing.

Of course, even with the best plan that keeps you as busy as possible, weather will stop you from working sometimes. Especially if your mobile like me. I love the winter though, if I`m not working, you can find me on the slopes. Breckenridge rocks!
    I`ve been busy but I`ll try to make some time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jay. Welcome to DC.

You will always get good advice from DenverDetail, just don`t let him help you name your company.
    Cliff Claven is my hero
    2007 Silver Accord EX
    1999 Silver F-150 XLT

Thread Information