Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Cheapest place for Microfiber cloths?

I`m just getting into detailing and stuff.....nothing serious, not doing anyones cars (so far) but mine (97 Cadillac Catera) and my parents (01 Grand Carivan, 04 G35X), so i dont need `the best of the best`.....none of the cars are gonna be showed (well, if my dad does anything to the Infiniti thats worthy of showing, then maybe that, but it would only be at cruise nights and stuff...lol), so i`m just looking for something to use thats good but inexpensive. I have read that microfiber is the best you can use for washing and detailing, but i also know that its pretty expensive. I`d like to give it a try, but i`ve got pretty much no way of ordering off the web. Where would you guys recomend getting microfiber towells at the lowest possible price?
    I just wanna give it a try and see if the difference is noticeable to me. Thanks,
    -Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no use cutting cormers on your microfiber. They are an investment worth taking. you can get some quality microfiber in multi-packs from many online vendors. Ten-twenty will be a good start. When buying in quatity, you can usually get good ones for $3.00 each or so.

Good sources:

PakShak
    Autofiber
    Poorboy`s World
    Premium Auto Care
    Auto Geek
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree buy good micro fiber towels or don`t buy any at all.
    the cheapies can leave more micro scratches in your paint than what you started out removing
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

I'm back YIPEE Refreshed! The Chee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are mf towels reusable? I bought some Autoglym polishing clothes that can only be used once
    A man has got to recognize his limitations, and then learn how to adapt within those confines. Then go out and conquer.

Post Thanks / Like
    MF towels can be used over and over.
    Just wash in warm to hot water and dry at medium .
    Do not use fabric softener or bleach and do not wash or dry with anything else
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can and probably should cut some corners with MF for some tasks. I prefer using the Concordia MF towels purchased at WalMart ($4.86/5 towels) or Microtex towels from Target ($5.77/6 towels). These towels are fine for your paint or glass, but I usually relegate them to the grungier tasks ie. door jambs or underhood. I also have a few inside for furniture dusting and general cleaning duties. They don`t scratch/swirl/mar your paint. If they do, you did it, not the product. Even the best MF towel can and will induce some micro marring if you don`t use a little care.

Another very good MF product you can buy off the shelf is the PowerRag by Scotch (70/30). They are sold at the HDs in my area at a very reasonable price of @ $3 + tax.

As far as the premium MF products, you will have to look to the internet sites. Some of my faves are:

Autofiber.com - Ian has a really nice Pro Detail towel 75/25 one of the best all around towels I own. Great at removing polishes/waxes. Good final buff. Good glass towel. He also has his Elite towel which ranks as one of my plushest towels.

Exceldetail.com - Patrick offers a very plush and substantial towel at a most reasonable price. I am currently using one of his yellow towels as my glass towel.

DFTowel - Leo`s Concours Buffing Towel is in a class all its own. I use it in place of the CCD.

There are many fine MF towel vendors, and I don`t have one from every one (but I`m trying). I do own 100+ towels from 17 different vendors/mfgs. There`s not a "bad" towel in the bunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mr. Clean
    ... I do own 100+ towels from 17 different vendors/mfgs. There`s not a "bad" towel in the bunch.
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    well the wal-mart ones are looking VERY attractive....as are the target ones...haha
    None of these cars (with the exception of the G35) have been cared for on a more `serious` level before this (AKA before, a car wash meant a bucket with some dish soap, some water, and a hard sponge followed by a rag, and maybe some ancient turtle wax paste on the hood before it got boring lol), so i think that for now i`ll stick with the cheapies. Thanks
    -Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    A believe the old adage that you get what you pay for applies to MF towels. However, it does not apply to Zymol Vintage wax! lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Get the heapee cheapees from WalMart, Target etc and use them for the grunt work like door jambs and wheels.

For the real detailing work on the paint surface where it shows get some towels from www.pakshak.com If you email him and explain you are a poster on DC you may get a special price!! ........and ...his towels are the best available. Or at least I can say that I`ve seen none better and I have towels from all the recommended places.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve from Poorboys sent me a toewl with my order (thanks Steve) I believe it is something like Ultra fine or Mega plush but it is a really nice towel. Not sure of the cost but if its $5 or so I would say it is worth it. I have a bunch of Pakshak towels and they are really nice as well. PM Ranney and he will give you a good price. Really nice guy to deal with too. Either of these towels you cant go wrong.

As for others, I would stay away from Wally World towels. I have switched to the Costco towels for Jams, wheel wells, wheels, tires and all other "dirty Jobs". At $8 a dozen they are almost disposable in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Order from Steve @ Poorboys. His towels are reasonable and a quality product. You may also want to look at The Fuzz` polishing MF. Very reasonable price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get the WalMart ones ... I use them on my B5.5 which is black and they don`t mar.. if you use the cloth itself .. rip off the tag and do your polishing with the center .. the only suspect area is the stitching and I haven`t had a problem there.

I have even made my own applicators from them to apply Zaino and if you have used Zaino there is conciderable rubbing/pressure involved to get a thin layer .. no maring evident under a 1000W Halogen or sunlight.

See for yourself.

Reflection
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

RESIDENT PROCRASTINATOR
    Post Thanks / Like
    :wait I just purchased a few MFs from http://www.vaporcleanproducts.com and i must say that i am pretty impressed. They shipped extremely quick. I ordered on Wed. and they were at my door on Fri. Their prices are pretty good and they seem to be just as nice as any other MF i own and i probably have about 50 now:beat so i have a few to compare I ordered the yellow 16x24`s and 10 for 29 bucks ain`t bad.
    Even on the highest throne in the world, we are still sitting on our ass.
    Michel de Montaigne (1533 - 1592)

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have some mf`s from vaporclean and they seem to be pretty good towels. I purchased the Ultra MF`s from them. Quick shipping and good product. Two thumbs up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information