Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New EDGE DA pads review (as promised D!)

Dwayne sent me two new versions of the Edge Pads to test out and I promised to review them so here you go!

Dwayne sent me a Blue and a White (actually he sent me two of each one old version and one new version). Right off the bat you can tell the new ones are different. They are thicker by almost a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. The velcro backing seems almost molded to the back. The old Edge pads it was parallel to the backing, the new ones it`s almost like it is part of the foam and slightly concave. The new pads are also bigger in circumference. I have a 5" backing plate on my PC and a 6" to use as well. I used the 5" to test but the pads were almost screaming for the 6". (here is where the concave velcro backing would work out great as it curves up to meet the edge of the backing plate guarding your paint from any hard edges.)

The velcro used seems a bit different. It does not seem to grab and stick as much as the old version did to the backing plate, but I didn`t have an issue with it coming off.

The foam seems to be different as well. It seems more dense than the older version (keep in mind the blue and white are both application pads, not really corrective...like thier green).

In honor of Dwayne I decided to do an AIO/UPP combo as I didn`t really need to do any corrective work on my paint and it had been a while since UPP graced my car .

I used the Blue Edge Pad and immediately I noticed that the AIO sat on top of the pad rather than soaked in (those AIO users will know what I am talking about). I used 3.5~4 to apply it in quarter sections and it went on smooth as silk. The pad never got saturated or powdery (when a pad tends to soak in a product rather than it sitting on it, the friction can powder up the product in the pad making application a pain). Despite the new pads having a firmer texture (IMHO) they still gave plenty when applying. It was a little odd actually - here is this big firm blue pad that changed behavior when I used it to seem softer (not a bad thing at all!). I did the car in no time flat - despite it being 90+ degrees and 60% humidity (I was soaked!! ).

I switched to the new white pad and pulled out my UPP (sounds dirty don`t it? ).

After shaking it for all it was worth I applied the UPP to the pad surface and sure enough it to sat on top of the white pad - which surprised me even more as the white is their softest pad and UPP is a very thin product. This too was great as it gave me much more control over how much I used and how far I could go with one application before I had to put more on the pad. This process too when by smooth as silk and quick. All the while the pads never lost their shape but gave very easily when pressed (a habit I have to get more product out a pad - but since it was applying rather than soaking it in, I didn`t have to!).

The real test came when I was done - the cleaning (dun dun daaaaaaaaaaa!). My experience with the old Edge pads has not been the best as some have flung apart as soon as one use. I am happy to report this is not the case with the new ones! I used my exact same washing methods and decided to spin em dry on the PC - sure enough they did! They stuck like, well like glue! I don`t know what kind of bonding process they use now (molecular level ?? ) - but it looks like the velcro is just part of the pad now. What ever they do now, it works! These new Edge Pads are bigger, badder and seem to really work great. In all honesty I was not a fan of the previous Edge pads, but these new versions are awesome. It`s too soon for me to give an extended use report but from first use they are a 100% improvement over the previous version. If you have used Edge pads and never had a problem then you will love these. If your like me and gave up on them, give these new versions a try. The thickness, the new velcro backing and the foam change (did it change?) - all add up to a great product!
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Why yes the foam did change. The new pads that you tried are the new and improved The Edge DA Durafoam pads.

Aaron and Saul at Dedication To Detail really value the various opinions here at Detail City and when there pads showed signs for improvement they responded by not just addressing the adhesive issue, they went a few steps further and started using even more expensive and durable Durafoam.

The new Durafoam pads will arrive at PAC once we sell our current inventory of Edge pads and may be able to provide some nice discounts for pros who may want to purchase 10 pads or more at a time.

Dwayne

Post Thanks / Like
    well - short review - they rock! and I`m impressed ! (before I get a "this thread is useless with out pics" slam - I`ll add some this afternoon :lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Groebuck!
    Thanks so much for the great review! We at Dedication To Detail, Inc. sincerely appreiciate your testing and opinion and we hope you now realize how much you and DC`s feedback means to us. Just one thought... If you like the new classic DA pads in Dura-Foam, imagine how much more you are going to love THE NEW EDGE2000 quick connect/disconnect DA 6inch pads in Dura-foam without ever having a backing plate or velcro again!!!!!!!!!!! They are now available from Dwayne at PAC and he even has a great free adapter promo!!!!!!!

Aaron Krause
    Dedication To Detail, Inc
    www.edgepads.com

Post Thanks / Like

evil

just plain evil ......no where is my wallet :lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm.....may need to order some. Thanks for the review groebuck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a couple pictures of the new and improved Edge DA pads. As Groebuck indicated, the pad is about 1/2" wider with a much improved velcro system. I was not a big fan of the original Edge DA pad as I found the foam to be a bit fragile. This new type of foam is far more durable. I`ve used this pad 5 times now, with no sign of wear or tear. With the previous design, some pads began to fail after a couple uses. I would still prefer to have a beveled contour to the pad, but that`s just a personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a view of the back. The new design`s velcro section is embedded into the foam instead of just glued on top. The diameter of the velcro section is the size of the previous design. As you can see, the new design`s foam extends about 1/4" outside the velcro which in turn results in a larger pad. This is a good feature for those of us using 6" plates since it provides a little safety margin.

[edit: Thanks to Aaron for sending the prototype DA pad for me to try out. Looking forward to trying the new quick connect design as well.]

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I assume the velcro is exactly a 6" diameter then? (making the pad 6.5" diameter) Or is it something different than that?
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate the review groebuck. Thanks.

I`ve been using the Meg`s pads, but I would like to try these new and improved. But why the hole in the middle?

I really like the idea of the product sitting on the pad rather than soaking in.

Concerning the new pads with the quick connector... I`m confused from the pictures. The adaptor looks like the one end of it screws down onto a bolt. But my backing plate screws into the pc. How does the adaptor work then since there will be no backing plate?
    If the wolf howls by the light of the moon in the dark of the night...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by wifehatescar
    I assume the velcro is exactly a 6" diameter then? (making the pad 6.5" diameter) Or is it something different than that?
    The previous version`s pad was exactly 6" in diameter. The new design has a 5 7/8" velcro pad with an overall pad diameter of 6 3/8"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by keeotee
    [BI really like the idea of the product sitting on the pad rather than soaking in.

Concerning the new pads with the quick connector... I`m confused from the pictures. The adaptor looks like the one end of it screws down onto a bolt. But my backing plate screws into the pc. How does the adaptor work then since there will be no backing plate? [/B]
    I`m ambivalent about the product sitting on the pad rather than soaking in. While I like the idea of the majority of the product being in contact with the finish rather than wasted in the interior of the pad, I`ve found that it is sometimes difficult to gauge the true "wetness" of the new pad. When using a swirl remover type of product, I work the product until it seems to start to dry and haze. That`s where I normally stop and wipe off the residue. In the case of the new pads, the product seems to periodically migrate to the surface which in turn rewets the product. So, I need to work it for a longer period of time before the pad eventually dries up. My theory is that this new foam needs to have less product to work effectively, but I need some more time to experiment before drawing any conclusions.

You first need an adapter to change from a PC sized thread to a rotary sized thread. Then, the quick connect screws onto the adapter. A discussion of the adapter took place in this thread -
    Edge 2000 Pads on PC

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone tried the new pad on the adapter? How does it work. Is there any excessive vibration with the extra size?
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    ask Dwayne he has been using them for about a week

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New EDGE DA pads review (as promised D!)

Originally posted by groebuck

I switched to the new white pad and pulled out my UPP (sounds dirty don`t it? ).

especially when this is your next sentence :rolling

...After shaking it for all it was worth...
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information