Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 04-02-2004

Red face New Truck....now what?

Hello,
I just picked up my new truck. I am interrested in what new products are out there for protecting the finish on it.
The factory has put some sort of finish on it I'm sure, however I have no idea what to do now. I do know that it needs some sort of wax, or something to protect the finish.
From reading some of the post's here I will most likely be useing MOTHERS products.
My old truck rusted away on me inspite of the waxing and polishing, so I stopped waxing it and I am out of the loop on the new products.
What is this Clay Bar?
How do I use it?
Should I use it? Or should I use liquid or paste wax?
Do I need a power Polisher?
Are MOTHERS products easy to apply?
Wow I'm going on and on here

Where do I start?
Old 04-03-2004
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: New Truck....now what?

Congrats on the new truck. If it were me, I'd wash, then clay (see other other paint care post for info on clay - basically it removes all the contaminants bonded to the paint - stuff like industrial fallout, rail dust and overspray - leaving the paint contaminant free and ready for waxing) and remove any surface imperfections (scratches, micromarring like dealer installed swirls or spiderwebbing and then decide how much time/effort I wanted to put into the paint.

If you want to do "just what it takes", use a quality one step product like our Original Formula Wax in either liquid or paste. I prefer paste because it's a better value (20 + applications from one can versus 3-4 from 1 bottle) and I'm less likely to put it on too heavy.

If you're willing to do "whatever it takes", use our Ultimate Wax System - Pre-Wax Cleaner (a light polish to prep the paint) once or twice a year, Sealer and Glaze (gives the paint depth and richness) every other time you wax, and then the Natural Formula Wax (paste or liquid like I mentioned above). If, for example, you wax once a month, apply the Sealer and Glaze every other month, before the wax.

Either way, you'll want to maintain the finish by washing at least once a week, and using an instant detailer like our Showtime to maintain the waxed finish.

All of the products mentioned above are easy to use, assuming you follow instructions (thin coats, work out of direct sunlight, etc.). Don't fall for the old "thick coat of wax" for extra protection urban legend. 2 thin coats are far easier to apply and remove.

Wash with a 100% cotton chenille mitt, dry with microfiber towels, apply products with a closed cell foam applicator, and remove them with microfiber.

That should be a good start for you. Read it through and let us know if you still have questions.
Old 04-05-2004

Thanx for the Reply Forrest T.
I found this forum on a link at a page while looking for running boards for my truck. I'm not sure where to buy any of the Mothers Products.I don't even know if they are available in Edmonton Alberta, Canada.
I'll have to do some more searching.
Thanx again for all the info!! I'll let you know how things turn out, Picture too.
Old 04-05-2004
Mothers® Polish

You're welcome. There are several retailers in Edmonton - just check our page of Canadian retailers at:

http://www.mothers.com/retailers/retail-canada.html
Old 05-04-2004

Well I have started with the 3 step system WOW what a differance. Unfortunatly I only got to step 2, and it started to rain
If I wash real good can I then apply the wax paste?
or Do I have to start all over again with another clay bar?
I can't believe the look of my truck with this cleaner wax, the rain water beads on it.
I would like to get some wax on though. Is the Paste wax hard to apply?
Is there some way to soften it up a bit? The can of wax I got is really hard. How do I apply it?
Old 05-04-2004
Mothers® Polish

wash to remove any dirt, then apply the wax. I assume you bought the Phase 3 Natural Formula Wax, and not the original formula wax? It should be yellow in color in the can, not pink.

There's no reason to soften the wax up, it applies and removes easily. Just dampen your applicator with water or Showtime (my favorite - it helps the wax apply thinner, so it's easier to remove) and apply in a thin coat, overlapping for complete coverage.

Do 1/4-1/2 a body panel at a time, and remove promptly with a good quality all cotton terry cloth or (my favorite) a microfiber towel.

It should wipe off easily. Hint - if the paint turns white, you've applied to much. It should lightly haze over.
Closed Thread