Post Thanks / Like

Newbie Needs Help and Suggestions

Hello all,
    As my name inplies, I`m a newbie @ detailing. I`ve finally owned a car that I want to keep looking brand new as long as possible, and I`m willing to do most of the work myself. Previous attempts at this have fallen short after a while, but this time I think I`m going to change.

Anyway, some details about the car - Twilight Blue (almost black) with a black interior. My goal is to have the car looking great most of the time. As it is, I wash about 1-2x a week or when the car looks dirty. Currently I use the Mr. Clean Auto Dry and am quite happy with it - it does a great job and saves me from drying and possibly getting more swirls.

This car loves to emit brake dust, so I`ve been using some cheap Greased Lightning wheel cleaner I pick up @ Wal-Mart for around $3/bottle. I use a lot and it seems to work well.

My first question is about using an APC for the wheels/tires - I was thinking Meguiars APC+ in a chemical sprayer for the wheels, wells, tires. Does APC+ do a good job at cleaning brake dust or should I look elsewhere? I did some searches and it looks like an acid is the best, but I`m not sure of the wheels are clearcoated or not...

The next is about waxes. I picked up some Klasse All In One and applied it and it looks awesome and was very easy to do. I`m torn with topping it with P21s or Klasse Sealant Glaze. Any suggestions? - I want a nice deep shine.

That`s about it for now - I`m sure I`ll have many questions, so take it easy on me - I learn quick!

Thanks for any and all pointers!

Post Thanks / Like
    welcome aboard . i dont really have any advice but it sounds like you are on the right track. you will learn lots of good stuff here
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Nice to hear your getting very serious. Hopefully I can help!

APC + Is , well an all purpose cleaner (so obvious ) I have a gallon and I`m wondering how I`m gonna use it all. It works well, as long as you dilute it to the right levels the meguiars sets. (Make sure to get alot of bottles) You can use the APC on the wheel area, interior, and even dewaxing! If your looking for a straight wheel area, try some Citri Gel, as it is a gel and holds for scrubbing action. APC + is good stuff, just dilute and work accordingly.

Klasse AIO, is actually a chemical cleaner, it will remove deposits from the finish and light oxidation. Slightly abrasive, but not very. Your probably looking at just the acrylic layer it leaves (which can be layered, but will be removed after each layer) Its a GREAT prep product for Sealant Glaze, which will give you a nice deep shine. (Layer the Sealant Glaze, watch out for application.)

Pick up some S100 or P21S and you will be amazed at a classic combo.

Hope I could help! Keep asking questions, you will learn alot! :-p

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I find SG difficult to work with. There`s probably a technique that I haven`t "got" yet.

On the other hand - why bother to learn what I`m missing when there are so many great products out there - Wolfgang DGS is phenom to use and it`s looks are super. s100 is good looking and easy, easy to use.

Three other sealants I want to try based on what I`ve read - 4* UPP, Menzerna FMJ and Poorboys EX-P. And the carnauba that I want to try is Pinnacle Souveran Paste.
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome

You are just down the road a piece from Steve @ Poorboys. I`d get some of his SSR`s , polish and Ex and go to it.

I used Eagles wheel cleaners when I had brake dust problems. Alll I had to do was spray it on and rinse off and that`s good when you`re old and/or have a bad back.....both of which apply to this old fart

I use only Poorboys products because they work!....and Steve is a good guy who I can trust to give me expert advice and never sell me something I don`t need.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Greezed Lightning all the time on painted wheels and tires. Keep this in mind, you can dilute it 50/50 and it works just as well. If you have a Costco near you, you can pick up a gallon AND a 32 oz bottle for only $6.

Also, use it for your wheel well, engine, and even as a spotter on the carpets. This stuff hasn`t let me down yet!

As for AIO, you made a good choice. A good toppper would be S100, which is the motorcycle version of P21S, but costs $10+ less!

Congrats on the new ride, and post some pics of it!
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    Does Costco carry any other good detailing products? I`ve been considering giving up my Sam`s Club membership for a Costco membership.
    Hogan

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Newbie04 : welcome

Glad you joined the addiction!

My favorite lately has been Vanilla Moose topped with whatever suits me at the moment, i.e. P21S, Megs #26, PB`s EX.

There are so many good combos available. Basically you can`t go wrong with any of them.. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
    I`ve made note of all the suggestions and have a lot of things to now try.

I`ve been slowly amassing various detailing products and I think the wife thinks I`m going nuts, but everyone has to have some hobby, right? I guess mine is starting to be keeping my car looking great. The best compliment is when people say how great the car looks - makes you feel proud!

I`ll try to post some pics tomorrow - if the rain stays away.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thanks

Newbie04 . . .

"I think the wife thinks I`m going nuts..." So you have this problem too! Just tell her it`s better (and cheaper) than therapy! :crazy

The best compliment is when people say how great the car looks - makes you feel proud! You got it bro. That`s exactly how I feel. It makes my day when a co-worker notices my car in the parking lot and pays me a compliment. I had a reputation as the guy with the "incredibly shiny red car." Everyone knew me by my car !!!

Can`t wait to see the pics. The weather is yucky here too. Where`s the sun!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Re: Thanks

[B]Newbie04 . . .

"I think the wife thinks I`m going nuts..." Your wife should realize it’s a nice safe hobby. I mean you could be off somewhere “chatting” with some sweet young thing or things that just loves...insert your car here …. :cool

She knows where you are when you are out front detailing your ride. At least until the car is done and then really turns heads and attracts attention.

Thread Information