Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Question Engine Cleaners?

Hi all, I`m fairly new to this and I`m looking for a quality engine cleaning product to use on my personal vehicle. I`m looking for something that I can spray on my engine that will really dissolve dirt and great while really making sure things brighten up including the non metal parts without leaving any kind of residue on them and then just wash gently wash it off.

When I open my hood it doesn`t have to sparkle but I want to say to myself "Damn, that`s clean"

If anyone can reccomend any cleaners and degreasers I`d appreciate it. I`d also like to hear any engine cleaning tips / techniques.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m pretty new at this stuff myself but I`ve used Gunk`s citrus engine cleaner with good results. I sprayed it on and wiped everything I could reach.

Simple Green gets recommended frequently as does Meg`s APC.
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I love doing engines. My engine detailing kit includes Gunk foaming degreaser, Advanage concentrate, Autoint degreaser concentrate, Simple Green, Tire Foam (hey, I`m not the only one who has used it.... right?), brushes, lots of shop towels, and CD2 Engine Detailing kit. I don`t use all of that at the same time, but they are the products I take with me when I do an engine. This engine was done with just the Advanage and CD2 kit. Brushes and shop towels were used as well, but most of it is just a result of those two products. Engine detailing isn`t nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. You just have to be willing to get your hands dirty.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I just use the degreaser on the painted surfaces, basically. Then I go in with shop towels and simple green to do the the rest. Advanage is a concentrate, so I have it in a spray bottle and I use it like Simple Green sometimes. Its very good stuff that doesn`t mess up aluminum or plastics like some degreasers (simple green) can do. I love doing engines because people usually neglect them and there is the biggest difference when you do one right.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    OOoooo its a 16 valvue EFI, couldnt tell before :naughty. It looks good on detail you`ve put in it, but I`ve never figured out how to clean aluminum or textured metals. Even with a toothbrush, its really hard to clean with the degreaser on textured metals.

O ya, what happened to the oil cap? I hop you didnt lose it in the engine like my friend

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by filipzin
    OOoooo its a 16 valvue EFI, couldnt tell before :naughty. It looks good on detail you`ve put in it, but I`ve never figured out how to clean aluminum or textured metals. Even with a toothbrush, its really hard to clean with the degreaser on textured metals.

O ya, what happened to the oil cap? I hop you didnt lose it in the engine like my friend
    ha, yeah anthony, what DID happen to that oil cap???????

Post Thanks / Like
    The oil cap is on the strut over there on the left. I forgot to put it back on before I took the picture. whoops... Actually, I forgot to put it back on before the owner closed the hood and fired up the engine too. YIKES!! It made a mess under there. They were cool about it though. They sold it halfway through my detailing it. So the owner just drove it away with an oily engine I guess. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work Jngrbrdman! I also like to use Orange Blast for the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been told to leave the engine running when detailing. Do most of you do that?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know why you would want to do that. You should do the detailing on a cool engine. It would be hard to get in there and really get it clean if its 500 degrees. Detailers who cut a lot of corners may suggest that, but that`s not real engine detailing. That`s engine washing. Totally different things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Anthony. I think I`m going to detail my engine just for fun today and was planning on leaving it running. That`s why I love DC!!!!!!!! Cool engine for me!!!!!

I figure I`ll just use a degreaser then rinse then armor all it. I want that CD2 engine kit, but haven`t been able to find it!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    The K-Mart over by me is where I get it at. I`ve got an extra can of it if you need some. Just come by and we can go check K-mart and if they don`t have it then you can use mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a ton anthony.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll be home at 3:30 if you wanted to stop by today even. I had another friend coming over to wash his car. I was going to start working on my engine since I can`t get that 5.0 ready yet. Come on over.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would anthony, but we`re hitting a party today. It`s the elections party, I gotta go support the MULLET!!!! Hopefully he`ll win. I sent you a PM about maybe stopping by monday though. Hey, you`re alway invited to come to the PARTY THOUGH!!!! Just bring your kid, we`ll support the MULLET together and show our loyalty to the FUZZ!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve even used a steam cleaner to clean a moderately dirty engine with good results. I also use metal polishes topped with a sealant on polishable metal surfaces. As a fina ldress up,I use a manifold dressing to provide the original look to rusted cast iron engine manifolds. Sometimes I have to use a variety of long handled paint brushes to completely cover the manifold with the dressing but when all is said and done, it looks terrific. I get the dressing from Midamerica. http://www.madirect.com Eastwood Co. aslo sells the correct color paints for mainfolds
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information