Thread: UPP Not Enough!

Polisher of Shiny Things
    Post Thanks / Like

UPP Not Enough!

Finally I decieded to give the UPP paint care system a try to see what all the fuss is about.

Followed this process:

Wash/Dry
    Clay
    Wash/Dry
    UPC
    UPPx2

Granted, it looks allright, but I am just not satisfied with it.

I absolutely love the smoothness that it has, and the shine is ok, but has no where near the reflectiveness that I was hoping for.

Honestly, I thought my NXT on my other car turned out a ton better.

I am thinking that I may have overlooked something with my UPP application, or mabey I am just too darn picky.

I am basically after a smooth , highly reflective, and deep shine.

Everything done to the car was done with a Rotary with the appropriate pads for each step.

Microfibers all the way.

The paint is a medium to dark blue/purple shade.

Spent about 8 hours total working on just the paint. (24 hr cure time between UPP applications was also observerd.)

While this post has turned into more of a rant than I intended, I wondered if there was something I could do to get the finish to just Pop a little more closer to my likings.

Also open to any thoughts as to why perhaps that the UPP is not impressing me a little more.....

Thanks!
    83 SVT Cougar
    95 Tbird
    89 Saleen Mustang

Obsessed?

- Yeah, ain`t it cool!

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn`t really read like a rant to me.
    You just stated your opinion.
    Other than being sure that the UPC and UPP were shaken up to be sure they were properly mixed, (which I don`t think is a problem with either product), it sounds like you did things correctly.
    Unfortunate, but not everyone has the same results with all products. The end results may not look the same to everyone, either.
    I have Klasse AIO with UPP over it on one vehicle and Poorboy`s PwC with NXT over it on another vehicle and I doubt that you could tell which one had which products.
    Of course, it rains everyday here and they are both in constant state of need to be washed and both look terrible right now.

Charles

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you did it right to me. The outcome isn`t what you want that`s all. Sorry you spent all that time and are not satisfied. I`ve never used 4 Star`s UPC. I`ve only used Klasse All In One with UPP.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures would be nice to go along with what you are saying. Esp. Before and after, but at least a few of the finished product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Below Reality
    UPP appears to me to be a product that requires a flawless finish to really work. I noticed you list cars from 1983-1995. I assume you applied this to one of those cars. Although the finish may appear perfect, just like people, age takes its toll. I also noticed that one coat of NXT looks better on my 87 pickup than AIO+2,UPP+2. Chances are there is prep work to be done. Park beside an almost new vehicle in bright sunlight and compare your finish to it. Can you say that it has that much perfection and luster?
    Last edited by TraderB; 06-24-2004 at 08:00 AM.
    All things can be explained, it`s just that some things are harder to explain than others.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have old cars there, I didn;t see a swirl remover product,
    When I use UPP on older vehicles
    Wash - Meguiars APC Plus
    Clay
    DACP, or Poorboys Swirl remover products..
    (maybe a few rounds, Rotary)
    Klasse AIO
    UPP, let sit for an hour , depndig on the temperature, maybe more..
    Wait 24 hours,
    QD vehicle, then put another layer of UPP...

jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say lack of prep, as in swirl remover or just personal preference.

I like UPC/UPP, I also like AIO/UPP, but I would almost always use a mild polish before hand.

Here is #80/AIO/UPP in full sun.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Well everyone has there own choices and I didnt take it as a rant just stating your observations.

I for can say UPP is in the prep. I used this early this spring and didnt really like but I decided to give it another shot here a few weeks ago after doing some good prep work.

Here is a few reflection pics I got after:
    Menzerna IP, Menzerna FP, 1Z MP, UPPx3

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently used UPP for the first time and I was very happy with it. I put 2 coats of it over AIO. But then again my car is an 03 and it had an already perfect finish before I buffed the whole thing with FP. So my paint was pretty much perfect when the UPP went on. I`d have to say that I agree with everyone else on the lack of prep work. You said it looked better with NXT, but nxt is said to do a good job of filling in swirls and what not. If you remove the swirls ahead of time than use UPP, you will have a better result. But its also important to realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You may not like the UPP look even though many others do. Also, if you want a quick fix, you could always just throw on a carnauba paste wax to add some POP to you paint...
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring - Super Black - 6MT
    "Most legit people I know, they`d go a hundred miles out of their way not to make eye contact with me" - Tony Soprano

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found with UPP and many other sealers that the reflectiveness you are looking for, comes in the prep work. After swirl removal etc. .... I final polish the car with Poorboys SSR 1 with the PC set at max and a polishing pad. This produces as much reflectiveness and wet shine as I have seen. In fact the application of AIO before the UPP actually seems to diminish the reflectiveness a bit so many times I go right from SSR 1 to UPP with no problems and a great reflective, wet, deep shine.
    Just my .02
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    You mentioned you did everything with a rotary ? Like a dewalt/mikita rotary?? If you have one of those and use it regularly then I would guess you got the skills to correct the paint!

which may be the problem - UPC is a chemical cleaner but does little correction..it`s in the same class as AIO so I don`t think that`s the problem. You might have needed a polish step? Like a SSR2 or Meg`s product?

You already did the claying so I would do

Polish/Swirl Mark Remover (you pick your weapon)

then UPC
    and UPP X xxxx

You have activated my special ability....

Polisher of Shiny Things
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it`s an older car. Going on my 83 SVT Cougar in fact as I am prepping it for show season.

I re-painted the entire car a little over a year ago, so the paint is pretty much new. Not a perfect 110% job by any means, but a damn good and impressive one none the less.

The car sits inside and under a cover most of the time, and never see`s winter weather, much less rain.

I opted to not use a swirl remover, as the car doesn`t really have any swirls in it.

Finish is as smooth if not more smooth than glass. - It was pretty much that way after the UPC as well.

Everything was done with a Dewalt 849 Rotary.

Since it did not have swirls, and I didn`t use a swirl remover because of that reason, what other type of prep would be needed?

I`ve done several cars before, but never quite ran into this situation before, and I`m also probably just a bit too picky.

I`ll try and snap a few pics tonight after work to elaborate a bit more.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
    83 SVT Cougar
    95 Tbird
    89 Saleen Mustang

Obsessed?

- Yeah, ain`t it cool!

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Below Reality
    Everything was done with a Dewalt 849 Rotary.
    It seems unlikely that either the UPC or the UPP would benefit from the use of the rotary.
    Is it possible that the rotary has a negative effect?
    Maybe you could try hand applying both the UPC and the UPP in a small area and see if the results are the same.
    :dunno
    Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I used UPC with a Rotary and hand applied my UPP and mine turned out great, but i also have a 03 truck looks just about like TQB except a year older. His looks like a 04. Did not use any polish or swirl remover either.

Post Thanks / Like
    My understanding is that a DA polisher is better than a rotary for applying waxes and paint cleaners. The only time a rotary is better is for removing scratches and bad swirls or other damages. other than that, you run the risk of buffer marks and paint burning with a rotary. no such risk with a DA. But as long as you`re skilled with the rotary, I don`t think it would make a difference.
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring - Super Black - 6MT
    "Most legit people I know, they`d go a hundred miles out of their way not to make eye contact with me" - Tony Soprano

Thread Information