Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 12-24-2006

Default Removing Stickers/Pin Stripe

So some background, I just bought a 1994 Ford Mustang GT (black). It has a few stickers on the body (he worked at the FBI Academy) and I want to remove them. I don't want to leave a sticky residue or somehow scratch the paint or just rip half the sticker off.

The question I have is the best way to remove the stickers on the paint without damaging the paint and getting it all off.

It also has a gold pinstripe all around the car (it's been stuck on) that I would like to get off, some of it is peeling, etc and just looks poor overall.

I'd also like some suggestions on removing a sticky residue from the glass windows from stickers (I can atleast use a knife, etc to remove the stickers from the glass).

Any help would be much appreciated
Old 12-24-2006
Moderated User

Default Re: Removing Stickers/Pin Stripe

I have used a razor blade (be careful) and 3M Adheasive Remover. They work very well for me.
Old 12-24-2006
Administrator

Welcome, cnumartyr!

We'd recommend against the use of a razor blade... you should be able to lift it with the warmth (warm, not hot) of a hair dryer and some adhesive remover or a product like Goo Gone... some repeated application may be necessary to gently lift the adhesive.

Test any product in an inconspicuous area if you have any doubts about its reaction with your paint or the surface you're working with.

If you feel you must use a blade, use a plastic blade, and very carefully.

Polish and wax or use a cleaner wax afterwards.
Old 12-24-2006
Moderated User

You can try using your finger nail to get it started. In my experience Goo Gone doesn't work anywhere near as well at the 3M product.

Just make sure whatever you do, you need to clean that area and wax it afterwards. You should heat up the area, as mentioned.

Last edited by wisynoil; 12-24-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-24-2006
Administrator

To add to this topic, the 3M Adhesive and Wax Remover is found in most automotive paint prep sections of your auto parts store... 8 ounce can (liquid) would probably be the best choice, but they also have a spray.
Old 12-24-2006
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
To add to this topic, the 3M Adhesive and Wax Remover is found in most automotive paint prep sections of your auto parts store... 8 ounce can (liquid) would probably be the best choice, but they also have a spray.
The way that works best for me is to apply the 3M products to a rag or paper towel, then rub it over the area, then hold it in place for a while (not too long), then rub and it comes off. Thats the way one new car dealer I worked at did it, you just have to watch out for the fumes.
Old 12-28-2006

I couldn't find any 3M Remover anywhere, or even Goo Gone for that matter at the local parts shops.

So I used Showtime Instant Detailing, a cotton Terry towel, and the hair dryer. After warming it up and removing it the detailer+towel removed all the stickyness and left it looking great.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-28-2006
Moderated User

Heating it up helps a lot. Glad you got them off.
Old 12-28-2006

Just a quick update, using it on the pin stripe and it's working well, but it's just taking forever.

In 90 minutes I was able to get the driver's side and trunk stripes off (it's two 1/4" stripes with about 1/4" inch between them). It's working well, just need to get some adhesive remover, these have been on there the life of the car and the "goo" is a bit more resistant than the first sticker I took off.
Old 12-28-2006

cnumartyr

I know that this probably comes too late for you, but we have a product here in Australia called 'De-Solv-It' that is perfect for applications such as this. This stuff I suppose is similar to what you have referred to as 'Goo Off'.
Our product just dissolves all sort of sticky tape residue, even the tape used by the Military called 'Instant Airframe' because of it's inherent strength.
I googled the name De-Solv-It, and it seems that a product with the same name is available in the US, but it looks to be in different packaging, so whether it is the same product or not I'm not sure. The Australian one is produced by a Company called RCR International. It has a nice citrus smell, and dissolves sticky residue like it was not there at all. I just put a small amount onto some T shirt cotton, gently rub on the sticky residue, and it cleans it up in a matter of seconds.
I suppose all this is of no help to you, but the idea might be implanted for others if they wish to search out the product.
Again, I have no affiliation with this 'mob' either.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Closed Thread