Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Car Wash or shampoos

Is there really any difference between the various products? What make one car shampoo or car wash preferable to another?

It seems to me that for a detailing - what ever you start with is good enough. Even Dial liquid. After all, you`re going to clay, polish, glaze and protect. The first step is just going to get the big dirt and loose stuff off. If it strips wax - that`s good.

Now for maintenance washes, I see where you want to be more careful but I have no idea what constitutes a good car wash or shampoo. Obviously, you don`t want to strip your wax. What else should I be looking for? and a silly question, is there any way to tell if the car wash strips the wax? I don`t know that I have developed an experienced enough eye to tell ...

:newbie
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have tried many over the years ... this is what constitutes a great car shampoo.
    1. Has lots of lubricity (slippery feeling on the car)
    2. Stays wet while on the car
    3. Removes the dirt easily
    4. Rinses off completely without streaking or leaving white spots if it drips out of a seam later
    5. Great smell ... (might as well enjoy it, right?)

Notice I didn`t say anything about suds ... we all seem to measure a product by how much suds are in the bucket (me included)
    That said my favorite car shampoo to date is Four Star Ultimate Car Shampoo.

It is said that Dial, Dawn, Joy etc. dry out the paint when used ...

The best way I know of to tell if your wax has been removed or is no longer on the paint is when I finish up with a QD. I use Final detail and if the product starts to streak or is difficult to remove that usually means the wax or sealant on the car is gone.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was some discussion on this a while back, but I think that thread was lost in the site makeover.
    Some people had some feelings that certain products were better/worse than others, but I don`t think there was any clear choice.
    FWIW, I don`t think I have ever used a bad wash product as long as it was intended for washing cars.
    That was not true for all members. Several comments were made about having bad experiences with some shampoos.
    Presently I am using Meguiar`s Gold Class and while it is OK, I don`t really think it is anything special. In years past I have used Blue Coral, The Treatment, Turtle Wax, and several different Meguiar`s, to name a few. None of them were particularly good/bad, and all seemed to do what they were intended to do.

One thing that I think helps minimize the effect of the wash product is using about 1/2 the recommended amount per wash. Seems to clean just as good and rinses, (IMO), better.
    I would not use any dishwashing soap for washing my paint.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I second 4* Platinum Car Wash - hands down the best I have used (I have used some bad ones Charles ).

It smells GREAT, works great and does not require a lot to get the job done....
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with everything KimWallace said. Except with his choice on favorite car shampoo, I just dont think there is any one best shampoo. I have found out over the years that if the car wash shampoo is the same brand of wax/sealant you are using it produces the best results. Not necessarily one best shampoo out there, depends on what wax/sealant is applied on the car. Maybe it is the way the formulas are created but I find that the products work best when used together. For example, 4Star Shampoo is great with UPP, Einszett Perls Shampoo is great with Glanz Wax, AG Shampoo Conditioner with AG Radiant Wax.

Anyone else feel this way???
    Last edited by ottoman; 03-12-2004 at 01:28 PM.
    AUTOGLYM

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that "good or bad" depends on what you expect of a car wash. Some look for a basic wash that rinses clean, streak free. Others look for a "wash and wax" booster for the car. Some want one that gets bug splats off easily. Some people use additional products to follow the shampoo (qd`s/spray waxes and bug & tar removers).

You should get a better job done if you use multiple products, each working well for specific tasks, but some don`t have as high of standards or the time, and prefer fast and mostly done to longer and done properly.

I think it all depends on what you think a shampoo ought to do. With that in mind, I would say that there is definitely a difference in car washes, and, again, based on your expectations, you could of course have a "bad" shampoo (in your opinion).
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting - with Big`s comments in mind. I think multiple "shampoos" are in order for me. Here`s my wish list:

all rinse clean and streak free.

1) gets everything off the paint. this is the wash I would use prior to a detailing.

2) gets the dirt off and enhances my shine. This would be the one I use more often - Makes sense to me that this would be the wash from the manufacturer of the sealent or wax I use. Still looking for that one so ...

Any recommendations for the best one for purpose number 1? Seems like I read that liquid glass made a good wash concentrate. I`ve noted that 4* has a couple of fans

Thanks for all the feedback.
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I juse started to use 3M car wash only because its at the local detail dist. Its gives great suds and seems to have quite a lot of lube.

I was using Eagle One Wet. I did notice that it was OK but even after I had gone down the side of the car and rinsed. It would stilil have a few places that Looked like I missed them. I know this was not the case I`m ay to anal about my work. The 3M has yet to have that happen
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Boss_429
    Originally posted by kimwallace
    I have tried many over the years ... this is what constitutes a great car shampoo.
    1. Has lots of lubricity (slippery feeling on the car)
    2. Stays wet while on the car
    3. Removes the dirt easily
    4. Rinses off completely without streaking or leaving white spots if it drips out of a seam later
    5. Great smell ... (might as well enjoy it, right?)

I think that`s a very good list. I would emphasize the "lubricity", and add a couple more things.......... agents that soften hard water, and a wash that adds gloss without using wax.

I buy the best wash I can, no matter what the cost. When you consider that everytime you touch your paint you run the risk of creating swirls, and that "touching" your paint by washing is probably the detailing chore done most often............. it`s easy to see the value of a great wash.

Of course, since I`ve started using Spray & Wipe, I`ve been able to cut down on the washes.................. which helps the whole process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Boss_429

Of course, since I`ve started using Spray & Wipe, I`ve been able to cut down on the washes.................. which helps the whole process.
    The funny thing is, I seem to create more swirls by regular washing then with Spray and Wipe. I`m always very careful too, using two buckets, two mitts and a quality wash.:jump

Post Thanks / Like
    BOSS

That`s a great explantaion thanks:google I use high quality wash as well.

Whic brings up the question about S&W how dirty is to dirty to S&W your car?
    I`m one to wash the car before I S&W I only use it for taking off dust more than anything.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    When I need to remove all the wax/sealant etc I use Dawn. Any reason not to?...and don`t tell me it dries out the paint. Paint is dry.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Polishing will remove the wax anyway so you can skip the Dawn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey boss - What wash do you use?

The reason I started this thread was that my washes have never been so effective but I still have some spots where the soapy water drops out of a crack or something after I thought I had rinsed and dried. And It seems the wash runs out of juice just a panel or two before I finish the car.

I`m wondering how much Meg`s Gold Class wash has to do with the effectiveness and the problems, how much my "tools" have to do with it and how much my experience has to do with it. I might just be too slow and missing something on the rinse.

... In the past - if I didn`t run it through the freebie car wash at the gas station, I would use whatever dishwashing detergent we had in the house and a old t-shirt. I was not looking to do anything then but get the dirt off and for the most part I suceeded.

But now that I`m using a sheepskin mitt and the two buckets and gold class - I get much cleaner cars.

Thanks again!

Boss_429
    Thanks Beemerboy,

To date, I pretty much only use the S & W for dust, and light/moderately light dirt. I have tried it on a dirty vehicle (not mine ) and it seems to have worked fine. However, I still feel more comfortable "washing" a dirty/extremely dirty vehcile. I also feel that one needs to wash once in a while to get the dirt out of all those nooks and crannies where it`s impossbile to wipe. Don`t get me wrong.............. I love Spray & Wipe, and wouldn`t be without it................. but I`m still "cautious"!

dalmore,

My current favorite is Sonax Gloss Shampoo, which is kind of expensive compared to a product like GC. The price of the Sonax has just jumped up $4 a bottle for a 500ml (around 16 ounce bottle), so I may start looking again when my currently supply runs out.

Anyhow, it sounds like you have as much of a drying problem, as a washing problem. You may want to invest in a leaf blower, or take the car for a "fast" drive to get the water out of those areas as best as possible. Still, all of us have those "dripping" spots that we have to deal with............ you just have to keep after them. If that dripping is causing nasty water spotting, then you might be dealing with very "hard" water, and might want to look for a product that has softeners in it.

Also, you may find that removing the nozzle from the hose after your inital rinse, and then just use the hose to "flood rinse" the entire vehicle may get the remaining soap rinsed off, and make for easier drying.

Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information