Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie with questions

Hi, im a newbie to this forum although i have been showing my car at various shows for a few years now with good results.

Im now looking at buying one of the following products and need to know which is the best in terms of giving me that show shine on the car.The products im looking at are from Poorboys, P21S or McGuires...So which is the best from these products, this may be covered somewhere else on the forum and if so could someone add the link and i`ll read it...
    Train hard, Fight easy

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome to Detail City markyboy.

Sorry, but there is no clear cut "best" product. Everyone`s situation is different. Products that would be considered a good fit for your needs will depend on the following types of variables -

- condition of vehicle
    - color
    - type of paint (OEM or aftermarket)
    - environmental conditions
    - parking indoors/outdoors
    - amount of time and money you are willing to expend
    - appearance goals

All three brands you mentioned are high quality. If you can provide us with some more information about you and your cars, we can all chime in with some suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replysome more details as follows.

My car is a Mitsubishi FTO, very highly modified.The paint is about 2 years old now although its always been kept very very clean at all times.Paint is PPG Harlequin multi flip paint ( green-purple ).Car shows around here are usualy out doors and the sun never seems to be strong here in Scotland.I spend many hours per week keeping the car in good condion.Basically i need a product to give that nice wet look shine when attending shows...I have other products for the cleaning, washing etc just need the final sheen...
    Train hard, Fight easy

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    You will probably get quite variety of answers on this one.
    The fact that you are looking for something for shows makes me think that the P21S/S100 Carnauba might be a good choice. You need to have the paint cleaned and polished first since you will be using a wax only product. It will do nothing to correct any paint defects.
    It is one of those wipe on, wipe off products that gives really good results. Doesn`t stain trim either. It is almost as fast as using a quick detail product.
    It looks great and the longevity isn`t bad either.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    For a frequently maintained finish in a cool climate, I would second Charles`s recommendation for P21S/S100 paste wax. Other alternatives would be Poorboy`s EX or ClearKote Vanilla Moose (I haven`t tried Carnauba Moose yet, but that product has been described as very "wet".). The P21S/S100, EX, and VM can also be used in conjunction with each other. Mix and match to fine tune your appearance. My favorite "wet look" is currently VM topped with EX.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Cool climate" thats an understatement, in the height of summer we get about 3-4 days when its over 70 degrees outside, mostly dull and slightly damp.

Could i use one of the poorboys products then go over it with P21S. Why are few people recommending McGuires products as over here they seem to be a favourite.It might be because Poorboys, P21S and Clearcote are only sold from one place in the UK--what do you guys think...
    Train hard, Fight easy

Boss_429
    mark,

I believe I`ve seen pics of your ride.......... it has the green/purple multi flip................. correct? If so, that`s an awesome color scheme, and a great looking ride!

Anyhow, if I were you, I would try two options:

One would be a good clear synthetic base (after polishing of course), and top that with a good clear carnauba.

The other would be a glaze/carnauba finish.

As awd330 said, it`s difficult to say which products are the "best". One`s person best, is not necessarily anothers. I would try the two basic systems above, to see if you prefer the clear/reflective/wet look of the synthetic/clear carnauba look, or the deep, rich look of a glaze/carnauba system. Once you have that narrowed down, you can "perfect" your product selection.

P.S. If I remember corretly, there are also some pics of some "attractive" ladies by your ride!

EDIT: Didn`t see your other post............ that must be the vehicle......... green/purple!
    Last edited by Boss_429; 03-13-2004 at 12:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

FTO

God i cant believe that you saw them pics and knew that it was my car.Done quite a bit to her since then with vertical doors etc and quite a bit more engine detailing.My car usually ends up with a slight haze which i take off with a Kanebo wipe.Dont know if there is anywhere i can post up pics of my car to help decide on what products to buy...

Train hard, Fight easy

Post Thanks / Like
    Im not sure if im allowed to post these pics so if not could a mod please move/remove them...If they are ok then have fun looking at them...:jump
    Train hard, Fight easy

Boss_429
    Mark,

Yep, that`s the car! Two things that I don`t miss.............. great lookin cars, and great looking gals!

Anyhow, now that I see the lastest pics, I would think that a couple of coats Poorboy`s EX-P with Natty`s wax would look awesome on your ride. Poorboy`s Pro Polish would probably be a great prep for it........ provided there aren`t any serious swirls.

Thanks for the pics!
    Last edited by Boss_429; 03-13-2004 at 02:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nah dont seem to have any serious swirls that i can think of.Thanks for the comments and i will try a few of the products mentioned and post my thoughts afterwards....:mohawk
    Train hard, Fight easy

Post Thanks / Like
    Hoot man! Welcome laddie (me folks hail from Cylde Bank) - that car is schweeeeet! is that the equivilent to a Mitsubishi Eclispes here (pre 2001 - turbo 4cylinder AWD ?)
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah thats the equivelant to the Eclipse.Its a 2lt, 24v, V6 beastie but no turbo so i go a nice big bottle of NOS sitting on my seat to help give a bit of power when needed...ohh and the NOS bottle is shiny as well.

Clydebank is only 30mins from me...:jump
    Train hard, Fight easy

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Boss_429
    Anyhow, now that I see the lastest pics, I would think that a couple of coats Poorboy`s EX-P with Natty`s wax would look awesome on your ride. Poorboy`s Pro Polish would probably be a great prep for it........ provided there aren`t any serious swirls.
    :yeah That`s the combo I`d recommend as well. Beautiful color!

Post Thanks / Like
    Who will post on the Poorboys EX-P and where can i find Natty`s wax as its not available over here that i can see.
    Train hard, Fight easy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information