Post Thanks / Like

When can S&W be used?

I use QEW now to wash my car, but I had a hard time convinving myself that it would work. Just seemed like 1 gallon of water wouldn`t do the trick, but it does and I like it

Now Poorboy`s S&W has caught my eye.. My experience with QEW has helped me somewhat get over my fear of a completely waterless wash. Poorboy`s website says it can be used for heavy dust or road spray.... "use as your carwash".

Can S&W be used for weekly washes, or should it just be used for inbetween washes? How about in the winter time when the car seems to get covered in salt and sand that the county likes to put down? Been using the quarter wash (not using their brush) for that duty.. I guess I`m still not completely over my phobia of a waterless wash :wait

(didn`t want to pollute the other current S&W thread with my questions )
    Last edited by perry; 06-20-2004 at 09:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are many users that have thought S&W dangerous to their finish. For S&W to work, you must understand its limits:

1)heavy mud and dirt thats hard even for pads to clean
    2)heavy bug guts and tar
    3)GOOD microfibers

The only time I didn`t see S&W working well was when the dirt was caked on very hard and it had a layer of build up. It smears and makes stains on your microfiber. S&W is amazing after rainstorms and every week. It hasn`t marred my surface and tons of users can back me up on this claim.

I am confident to say S&W is one of the best product PB has out. (among the many Steve has out :lol)

Post Thanks / Like
    I was sceptical to try S&W, but it has become one of my favorite products.
    I agree with Woob as far as usage.
    I find I get less micro scratches (spiderwebs) than I do from a bucket wash.
    Plus the paint feels like it was just waxed when done with S&W.
    Plus no water dripping out from the mirrors, doors, etc.
    S&W works great for cleaning wheels especially if they have a coat of UPP or other sealant on them.
    S&W works best on paint that has been waxed or sealed.
    It usually takes two MF to do a complete car (sedan)
    I follow up with a wipe down with Final Detail and the car looks and feels just waxed.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    :cool Thanks. I had a hard time convincing myself that less water would be OK, now I`m working on that last step - waterless

I suppose that my main concern / interest is winter months. I certainly wouldn`t use it after an hour or two on a salt covered interstate, but maybe semi-daily cleanings from around town driving.

Time saved in the summer would encourage me to throw on more coats of S100

I have PakShak and JT International microfibers, so I should be set there. Have some FD too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it best with a ww towel. This weekend I drove to Chicago...about 3 hours drive. I hadn`t dusted the truck for two days and it sprinkled off and on all the way there. The truck was pretty dirty and had a lot of bugs on it and had been sitting and drying all night.

I sprayed the S&W on the windshield, let it sit for about a minute and wiped the bugs off with no problems.....same for the grill/ bumper. The rest was very easy to do. Just Sray then Wipe. The water spots from the trip came right off.

I`ve also used it for moderately heavy salt. I usually don`t drive the good truck in the salt but when I do I usually go to the pressure wash place and knock off the heavy stuff, then go home and S&W.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using the waterless process more and more as a way to prolong time b/w regular washes. I use s&w for the lighter side of dirt/dust buildup as it is great in the sun and summer months. I prefer Q&E for the winter months and more grimier buildups.
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    S&W is a wonderful product !! It`s the best I have used and my customer`s have used.

I do my Black Z71 Tahoe a few time`s a week with it. For me if if got good water spot`s from driving in the rain for day`s I do the quarter touchless wash (cheapest one) and when I get home I do the S&W.

I do this mainly because I`m so pickey and my truck is all monotone black....and naturally I want to be careful with it .

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had asked Steve about the S+W in winter idea too, as there was a thread from Natty where he mentioned using it during the winter. The reply was basically that the bottle of S+W should be warm (keep an extra inside as a reserve for when the first gets too cold) and the car should be warm. Otherwise the S+W will freeze on the paint, or at least turn to slush. (This would apply only to those who live in areas that get snow and/or below freezing temps for winter,of course. Those of you living in California, Florida, Hawaii, etc. can probably keep on using S+W while in your shorts. (lucky bums......oh, wait...did I say that out loud?).
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Thread Information