Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Tire & Wheel Care

Tire & Wheel Care Whether you have hubcaps, clearcoated factory alloy, or custom wheels worth thousands, you'll want them to look their best. Metal polishing is also discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 08-26-2012

Default Water Spot Remover for Glass

Any chance this might work on billet wheels (non-clear coat)? My wheel manufacturer (Budnick) advises against foam-type wheel cleaners.

Even using Mother's Products and the best microfiber I still end up with clouding or water stains when rubbing by hand.

thx,

kdlp
Old 08-26-2012
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: Water Spot Remover for Glass

Water Spot Remover for Glass is made to be used on glass, which is much harder than aluminum.

Do you have spots on your Budnik rims you want to remove? If so, what are the spots from - a wheel cleaner or dried water spots?

Pics of the spots would help.
Old 08-26-2012

They (the water spots/bluing) are very hard to photograph... they don't show up when I don't use a flash and when I do, the flash washes out the spot so you can't see them. (I'll keep trying)

I believe them to be dried water spots. I've tried Mother's Polish #05100 and some serious rubbing with quality microfiber and if I stay at it, for say 60-90 minutes I can usually get 1 wheel looking like new. Have to believe there is a more efficient method.

Had one guy tell me to get them all looking the way I want and then have a reputable painter clear-coat them.

kdlp
Old 08-26-2012
Administrator

Try turning off your flash and see if you can get a photo.

Stubborn water spots can be the result of deep etching, and Mag & Aluminum Polish isn't always aggressive enough to do this type of work -- but it is a great product for general purpose polishing, especially with a PowerBall Mini or PowerCone.

Our PowerMetal Scratch Removing Polish #05150 is probably what you need, and you can order it and the #05142 PowerBall Mini MD on Amazon for delivery into Alaska...
Attached Images

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 08-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Try turning off your flash and see if you can get a photo.
Am going to try and borrow a digital camera that's not ina smartphone and see if I can get a more "revealing" photo...

Thanks for the tip to the other Mother's product... I'll seeif I can find the #05150 product at some of the local retailers before I go online. Freight to get it here would be more than the product.

BTW; Any idea why Budnik advises against the "PowerBall" type products? I mean I love my car/wheels just as much as the next guy, but I like driving a hell of a lot more than I like polishing.

thx again,

kdlp
Old 08-27-2012
Administrator

When you have a lot of work to do, like removing oxidation or getting out water spots, you can't beat the foam PowerBall and PowerCone products.

However, for mirror-bright finish polishing on some soft alloys, you might actually get a better result wearing a nitrile glove and applying it by hand. Some alloys can be very touchy.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Closed Thread