Thread: 303 versus #40

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow 303 versus #40

Today i used 303 aerospace protectant, on the girlfriend`s ride. How can i put it.....im not sure i like the way it looks, yet i`m also quite aware that i might be nearing a nervous breakdown, cause i never seem to find something to fully please me :p .

Knowing that many of you have used and still use #40, i`d like to know how those 2 compare in terms of OEM look on vinyl ?

Here i`m gonna outline the procedure i followed : first i vaccumed in just about all the cracks and hard to reach spots, using a paintbrush, vaccuming it all at the same time, or at least the most part of it......then i cleaned the whole surface area, with 3M`s APC dilluted to 30:1 (which by the way seems to suck/ i think meg`s APC ranks superior as far as APCs), then the whole thing dried up, after which i applied 303 using a foam applicator(but not moistened though.......should i have moistened it ??), then i polished it till dry, at least, i hope my efforts were enthusiastic enough, as i polished like crazy to make sure i followed the makers recommendation .

Results ? Well, i`m not sure i like the look...let me explain, some parts are real nice looking, whereas some others look way too oily to my liking.........my point is when she bought her car, the vinyl didnt look that way at all.......it looked clean and had a mat finish, nothing too sheeny. Please dont see this as a flame, it s not what i have in mind at all here, but rather im sharing this with you`all so i can perhaps correct any mistakes i may have made applying it.

So that`s why i`m asking how #40 compare to 303, or any other products outhere for that matter, as the only one i have aside 303 is one from finish kare which i paid much more for, which contains no silicone as well, it does have a matter finish, as i compared it to 303, but the difference is not day nad night though

Another point i wantto raise is : i thought that after a thorough cleaning logic would have dictated me that i would have been able to apply evenly, but it didnt.......so this as a result has me consider the whole cleaning prior to dressing thing. I would like cleaning to make a huge difference, but it doesnt seem to, as i tested left side of tha car, which was cleaned then dressed, and the right side who wasnt, and the look is absolutely the same, but keep in mind the vinyl wasnt dirty, it was just dusty at worst, perhaps it also had some plasticizers ( am i correct here ?).

So to wrap it up, are all dressing about the same ? i`m sure we could clear that up in this thread, cause you`all have tried a lot im sure and compared.

Hope this post doesnt sound bad, as it was not al all my intention, i come in peace :p

Best regards to all

Post Thanks / Like
    How Did the APC Cleaner Clean the interior I Have to clean this soiled up dashboard from useing armorall the dash is almost a brown color. Underneath its really a nice satin grey.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like

Frozen

As a matter of fact the 3M APC didnt impress me at all, and it is expensive, i paid 45$/gallon canadian funds it does clean but, i woulnt expect any stubborn stain to go away with it at 30:1. I admit the stuff prolly is quite concentrated for it to be used at 30:1 ratio, but about an hor ago i compared it to meg`s regualr APC (not APC+, as i cant have it in Canada), and honestly to the best of my observation it does seem to clean much better, BUT i have noticed that the Meg`s APC(regular one) at 1:1 for vinyl, have taken some of the black from the console with it WOW talk about cleaning power lol.........i insisted on some spots and my towel was light dark, was i actually wiping off some of the dashboard color, or just removing some dirty/soil, i douldnt really say, but still i want to mention it.

But my observation tells me 3m`s APC is that effective, much to my disapointment. Perhaps i`m way too perfectionist....i have this tendency to go overbaord, but i mean way overboard lol

your dash is almost brown you say ? i guess it`s from dust collection, which also collected a lot of dirt, making it brown.

All i have to say is i`m having a hard time being contented with some products i have, and buying more and more and more costs me a lot of money.

best of luck to you Frozen

P.S. Frozen, what APC dyou use ?

Boss_429
    Well, to make a long story short, the #40 has a bit more gloss than the 303. I prefer the 303 on the interior............. especially on the dash............. don`t like a shinny dash.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Boss_429
    Well, to make a long story short, the #40 has a bit more gloss than the 303. I prefer the 303 on the interior............. especially on the dash............. don`t like a shinny dash.
    Same here.

Next time you try 303, do small sections (like say half the dash or one door panel) and apply it be spraying it onto a dry mf or cotton terry towel, not directly onto the surface or a sponge type applicator. I`ve found applying dressing with a sponge type applicator just kind of smears the dressing around and is easy to apply too much. Next wipe it down with a separate dry terry towel. This should cut back the majority of gloss (even though I think 303 is already very low gloss).

If you are looking for a clean and natural new car look you might want to consider giving Poorboy`s Natural Look a try.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

In Exile
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 303 versus #40

Originally posted by chip douglas
    Results ? Well, i`m not sure i like the look...let me explain, some parts are real nice looking, whereas some others look way too oily to my liking.........
    I have the same problem; hard plastic seems to have a nice even semi-gloss finish to them with 303 but soft vinyl comes out shiny!?

At least #40 gives the same shiny finish on all surfaces. I would love to get the same semi-gloss finish on all surfaces with 303, but I`m running out of patience with this stuff, so I always grab #40 for client cars.

Maybe its because we can`t completely buff all of the 303 out of the grain in the soft textured vinyl.

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Re: 303 versus #40

Originally posted by biff

Maybe its because we can`t completely buff all of the 303 out of the grain in the soft textured vinyl.
    LOL

I personaly like natural look or 4stars vinal and rubber dressing. It`s not as shinny as #40 but more so than 303. They both leave a nice shine to things without going overboard. Pluss they do work well on all surfaces. The smell of each are better than #40 too if you ask me.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Thread Information