Thread: interior vinyl

Post Thanks / Like

interior vinyl

Hi, I am 19 years old and love to detail cars. I drive a white 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix and keep it up very well. It usually comes very easily to me when deciding what product to use, but here I am stumped. When my car was new the dash had a dull, clean, matte appearence to it; which I liked. Over the years when cleaning it I would vaccum loose dirt, wipe with a damp cloth, and follow with a coat of Megs vinyl/rubber protectant #40. This seemed like a natural choice becuase I am an avid user of the entire Meguiars line and am very pleased with it. #40 does clean well, however, this product gives the vinyl a un-natural gloss which adds glare to the windsheild. The gloss is not greasy, but it still remains even when applied lightly and buffed after. I e-mailed Meguiars to find out if it contained and silicones or petroleum distillates, but got no response. I have done extensive reading on what product will clean my dash, take away the gloss, and give me that matte finish back. After all this I think I am going to go with 303 Aerospace Protectant. It contains none of the chemicals mentioned above and seems to get good reviews. Anyone have suggestions about what to do about this???

wayne
    303 is the way to go...,
    Matte finish, non staining, not greasy, does not attract dust and the highest UV protection(SPF 40).
    I have #40, but have not used any yet..., I REALLY like the 303!
    I guess for interior and dash I will be using 303 and rubber, etc, the #40(since I have a gallon of it

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah dude go with the 303. I was using #40, then switched to Vinylex tried 303 and was thoroughly impressed with how clean it looked, I also loved in on my black leather.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to try the Klasse conditioner. You can buy it from the Detail City "online store".

I use it because I like a non-shiny look but it also provides protection and has slight cleaning capabilities.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you... Think I`m going to try both products and see which I like.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you want matte I`ll cast my vote for 303. The only negative thing I can say about 303 is that it is strictly for interior use only. I found that when I used 303 on any exterior trim or tires it was completely gone after one rain or three days...whichever came first.

303...great for interior, matte finishes. Lousy smell, use something else on exterior.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Just FYi, I inquired about the same thing you did with meguiars. The #40 is water-based , but does contain silicone. I usually apply it, then wipe it down with a VERY damp mf.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not all silicone is evil. Dimethyl silicone is supposedly the devil but there are types of silicones that are outstanding protectants. Polidimethylsiloxane (sp?) I believe is a water based silicone that is not only an excellent protectant but quite an expensive ingredient. In fact, I`d be willing to bet a cold brew that 303 DOES contain at least one form of a silicone derivitive.

Hey Dwayne.......help me out here man. You guys are the chemists!!!! Maybe Poorboy can help out with this one too?

Natty
    Natty

Post Thanks / Like
    Natty, you just got it right without my help.

Amen brother! Preach on!

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Natty who can argue with you..you always pay attention to the teacher....lol

Yes water-based silicone products are not harmful and are actually expensive to produce. they work best on the newer leathers too that are coated and only need to be cleaned not treated.

And i type slower than Dwayne too
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by admin
    Natty, you just got it right without my help.

Amen brother! Preach on!
    Damn....I guess I do have a few working brain cells left. I thought for sure I`d killed of most of them during my ill spent youth!

Natty
    Natty

Thread Information