Post Thanks / Like

Platinum UPP, UGE & UAWS

After ordering and receiving the Platinum Complete Kit back in March (damn, sitting in my closet for 4 months!), I finally got a chance to try the products out two weekends ago. First off, Premium Auto Care gets a thumbs up for its low prices as well as personalized service. I spoke on the phone with Dwayne for about 30 minutes which was very helpful as well as enjoyable.

Here are my thoughts and comments on a few of the products from the Platinum Kit:

Ultimate Auto Wash Shampoo – Quite honestly, it’s hard for me to discern which shampoos are the best, however I do like how this shampoo smells and it also suds up nicely. It’s also hard to say how ‘gentle’ it is on a car’s finish because I’ve only used it on cars that were Zaino’d or Platinum’d….but all in all, I have no complaints and the price is definitely good. I`ll try to keep this thread updated as I form more impressions on this product.

Ultimate Paint Protection – This is where the product line really shines (pun intended). Normally, when comparing two products side-by-side, I do not see much difference. Either my eyes aren`t good enough or I`m not looking under the correct lighting. This weekend was a rare opportunity to truly test how two products look compared to each other because I detailed a friend`s jet black BMW over the weekend (same color & make as my car but one year newer) using the new and improved Z-5. I detail this car regularly and it usually looks about as good as my car when I`m finished with it. But this weekend was different because I had applied a coat of Platinum on my car the previous weekend. This was the first time I was able to compare our cars side by side using different products and I noticed a substantial difference in shine.

Like I said before, normally our cars look similar in terms of shine because I usually Zaino each car and we both own Jet black 330I’s with finishes that have been meticulously cared for. This weekend was a different story though as the shine on my car was distinctly nicer than on my friend’s Zaino’d car. I don’t mean to turn this review into a Zaino vs. Platinum thread, but since Zaino has long been my favorite product, I always find myself comparing everything to Zaino.

When comparing cars, my friend and I agreed that Platinum definitely looked deeper with a ‘richer black’ color. It had a much nicer glow to it than his Z’d car and was just as slick and filled minor swirls better. His Zaino’d car still had a killer shine with awesome reflectivity and gloss, but we both agreed that on our black cars, Platinum is definitely the better choice….and we agreed to try Platinum on his car next weekend.

BTW, no prep was done on either of these cars because they didn’t need it. We just washed and applied the sealant right on top of the existing layers of sealant.

Also, I tried taking pics, but the quality was poor (2megapixels only) and the photos really didn’t do justice to the differences in shine. I’ll try posting better pics this weekend.

The only downside to this product is that it has a tendency to smear if it isn’t applied in very thin coats. Thin coats are more crucial to this product than other polymer products like Zaino and Klasse….because the smearing is really a PITA. If applied properly however, this product buffs out with VERY LITTLE effort.

Ultimate Gloss Enhancer – Don’t really have much to say about this product except that it’s right up there with the ‘slickest’ of QDs like Z-6, quickshine & OGSO. I’ll observe it a little more carefully next weekend when I try it on my Platinum’d car.

One final note (question actually)…. Why aren’t there more reviews on Platinum on this site? I see plenty on poorboys and some other products, but very few on Platinum. After all, aren’t we all enjoying this place because of the hard work of our good friends over at Platinum? I’d be really interested in hearing how others feel about this product.

As for me, I give a huge thumbs up to Platinum and to the people over at Premiumautocare.com!

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Platinum UPP, UGE & UAWS

Originally posted by Intermezzo
    As for me, I give a huge thumbs up to Platinum and to the people over at Premiumautocare.com!
    I`ll second that. I`m a huge UPP fan. I`ll also agree on the Platinum QD.....very slick stuff.

As for more reviews on UPP....I remember reading quite a lot of them in the past.

Nice review.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Platinum UPP, UGE & UAWS

One final note (question actually)…. Why aren’t there more reviews on Platinum on this site? I see plenty on poorboys and some other products, but very few on Platinum. After all, aren’t we all enjoying this place because of the hard work of our good friends over at Platinum? I’d be really interested in hearing how others feel about this product.

Having been a big fan of UPP since June of 2002, I can tell you what I think of it. Good stuff, distributed by good people at a good price. Seems like that is about all anyone can expect.
    One reason I don`t have a lot to say about UPP is the fact that Dwayne has tried real hard to not make this the "Platinum Forum". Anytime you want info, he will provide it, but you don`t get a sales pitch in every reply.
    Actually, I was quite happy with the original formula and the "new" formula is even better. The streaking might be a result of too much product as I have never experienced it. I did learn to apply any wax or sealant very thin, a long time ago. Possibly it didn`t have long enough drying time prior to removal.

Charles

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree the only streaking i`ve had is when i didn`t wait a full hour or more.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree Koop...The longer you leave it the better it looks. Thats for both the UPP and EX IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also agree. I have a dark green 96 Toyota station wagon. I`m new to detailing at this level, and this site was a real find for me. Thanks to all of you who share advice so freely.

I washed, clayed, and used 3M PI-III MG to take out as many swirls and light scratches as possible. 2xAIO and 4xSG. For the first time, I thought the car looked good. One day after washing, I used Platinum GE (it came with a clay package) and was amazed at the shine. Called Dwayne and ordered PUPP. After one coat, the car looked better than with SG and continued to improve with additional coats.

At first, I made the mistake of using too much PUPP and won`t repeat that again. I`d rather put on several thin coats as I have done with Klasse. I`ll still use Klasse AIO and SG. But I`ll top them with PUPP.

Thanks, Dwayne, for carrying such great products and giving such fantastic support!

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the look of UPP. I have to try a panel without using it over AIO to test the longevity. I always seem to kneejerk into putting on a coat of AIO, which is probably not the most optically perfect stuff in the world.

Boss_429
    Intermezzo,

First, excellent review! Being a Zaino user too, I pretty much came to the same conclusions as you. I haven`t tried the new "Z" yet, so I can`t comment on it`s comparision to UPP. BTW, were you comparing it to the new "Z"?

Secondly, the Poorboy`s products are relatively new to DC, so they are getting a lot of attention. Prior to that, there were quite a few reviews on UPP, and UPP did very well indeed.

Anyhow, the UPP, Zaino, and Poorboys products are all very good product lines............. as are a number of others, but it`s always interesting to hear these types of comparisons.

Looking forward to the pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Boss_429
    Intermezzo,

First, excellent review! Being a Zaino user too, I pretty much came to the same conclusions as you. I haven`t tried the new "Z" yet, so I can`t comment on it`s comparision to UPP. BTW, were you comparing it to the new "Z"?
    Thanks for the compliment! Now if only I can get some damn pictures up. Didn`t get a chance to last weekend.

Yeah, I was comparing it to the "new" Z. I kinda like the old Z better because the new Z seems to have lost its `effort-less buffing" properties!

Boss_429

Thanks for the compliment! Now if only I can get some damn pictures up. Didn`t get a chance to last weekend.

Yeah, I was comparing it to the "new" Z. I kinda like the old Z better because the new Z seems to have lost its `effort-less buffing" properties!
    Looking forward to the pics.

Guess I`ll hold on to the full bottle of the old Z2 that I have for a while!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very Nice Review Pics would help. I also hear that the Platnium Tire Gel is really good stuff maybe someone can review that also.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Thread Information