Post Thanks / Like

Just got my platinum starter kit....couple questions

wow, that large waffle weave drying towel is soooooft, hehe

ok so i have the shampoo, pre cleaner, and UPP
    also i have a fine grade claybar

now what do i apply with that
    first, wash with the shampoo, got it... no brainer there

next claybar.... what do i lube it up with, the shampoo right?

next, what do i apply the pre cleaner with... the terry applicators or the foam applicator
    and then, same thing for the upp, terry or foam
    then i assume i remove both with the 2 supplied green mf towels

how many layers of upp is usually good enough on a black car that i nu-finished a 8 months ago and havnt hand washed since....

sorry for all the questions... i really want this to be perfect, and i trust you guys

thanks!
    -steve

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use car wash as a lube for the clay, but many people prefer a quick detail spray. I prefer Eagle One because it`s cheap and works well for that purpose. The clay has to slide very easily and don`t apply a lot of pressure. Remove the clay residue with a MF cloth. Some people wash again after the clay to remove the excess detailer and some just soap up the panel with car wash and clay over that- then rinse. Work in small sections. After the car is dry, use the terry applicators with the cleaner and the foam with the UPP. I`ll tell you right now, from what you`re saying, i`ll bet that finish is loaded with swirls and UPP or any acrylic doesn`t do much to hide them, so don`t expect it to be "perfect". Oh- make sure to work in straight lines only when washing, drying or polishing to avoid more swirls. Finish up with a spritz of QD spray. Have fun

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just got my platinum starter kit....couple questions

Originally posted by Krelkor
    wow, that large waffle weave drying towel is soooooft, hehe

ok so i have the shampoo, pre cleaner, and UPP
    also i have a fine grade claybar

now what do i apply with that
    first, wash with the shampoo, got it... no brainer there

next claybar.... what do i lube it up with, the shampoo right?

next, what do i apply the pre cleaner with... the terry applicators or the foam applicator
    and then, same thing for the upp, terry or foam
    then i assume i remove both with the 2 supplied green mf towels

how many layers of upp is usually good enough on a black car that i nu-finished a 8 months ago and havnt hand washed since....

sorry for all the questions... i really want this to be perfect, and i trust you guys

thanks!
    -steve
    Warning, Warning Don`t trust these guys. They will have you spending all your money on detailing supplies instead of food.

For claying, I used a QD. Many people do use a shampoo and water mix. I guess the same as what you used for washing the car.

Foam applicators are my choice for applying cleaners, polishes, wax or sealants.

For removing those products, the MF towels will do a good job.

A couple of layers of UPP seems like a good base to start with. Besure to wait 24 hours before adding the second layer. I add another coat of UPP about every 30 days to keep my van looking at its best.

Charles

Boss_429
    Krelkor,

I think either ACE`s or Charles suggestions will work fine. I like using car wash for the lube for claying. I think it`s a bit faster, and allows me to save my QD for other purposes. I also like to use terry applicators when I`m applying cleaners, or abrasive polishes, as I think they "bite" a little better into the paint surfaces allowing the products to do their job better. However, there`s probably little or no difference in the end result of any of those processes.

Post Thanks / Like
    These guys know what they are talking about it. One thing about the Pre Cleaner it is very mild, it will remove any wax on the car and some light oxidation. ACE is right with black you might have some swirls, the Pre Cleaner isn`t going to help you much. Check your paint, you might want to add a swirl remover after the clay and then add then go with the Pre Cleaner, you can always pick something up at your local autoparts or paint supply store, like meguiars or 3M. I use cheaper QDs with my claying. I recommend putting on two layers of UPP and then like Charles says every 30 days, your black should look stunning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys
    i dont have any swirls right now...
    no wonder cuz i havnt waxed in a year, and even then i did a shotty job, but no swirls

so when i apply the pre cleaner or upp i dont use circular motions?
    i should apply and rub off with just straight motions?

i dont have an orbital buffer of course, so itll all be done by hand

Post Thanks / Like
    No offense, but if you haven`t waxed a black car in a year, you got swirls. You just aren`t attuned to looking for them and once you are your life is ruined. Here`s the thing- every time you wash the car or wipe it or take it to an automatic car wash you are creating some degree of surface marring and the whole idea of detailing is to minimize scratching and preserve the paint`s gloss. When you work in straight lines, you are creating some marring in one direction only, which is less noticible than a round swirl, which can be seen from any angle. When you use the right products with the proper tools and techniqes you will eventually be able to keep surface marring to a minimum. Read the posts on this forum and others and you will learn to detail reasonably well, which is MUCH more than the average Joe can do.

Death to white cars!
    Post Thanks / Like
    No offense either, but I have to agree with ACE on this one.... if you used Nu-Finish on your car AND you haven`t waxed in a year, I would bet my can of Souveran that you have some minor swirls/marring. .

You need to look at your car in a bright light from all angles - in the sun or under some lighting. Get up close if you need to, but they will be there, trust me - I have had nothing but black cars my whole life. Nothing looks better when they are done right, but getting all the slight marring and/or swirls out before applying the UPP is critical. Hope your job turns out for you! Have fun.

Brian
    "The 83-88 Monte SS - they just don`t make `em like that anymore...."

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try looking under flourescent lighting . They are brutle.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Death to white cars!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NattyBumppo
    Try looking under flourescent lighting . They are brutle.

Natty
    Totally and absolutely! Just when you think you`ve got it swirl free, flip the switch....PRESTO! There`s more...

:p
    "The 83-88 Monte SS - they just don`t make `em like that anymore...."

Thread Information