Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

All the stuff we buy, (and don`t really need)

A recent thread listed quite number of combinations that were being talked about and it got me thinking. Sometimes, not a good thing.
    All I really need to care for the exterior of my vehicles. IMO
    Meguiar`s #9
    Klasse AIO
    Platinum UPP

Sometimes I get to reading. Also not always a good thing.
    Read that S100 over UPP looked great. Bought S100. Not worth the effort to me over UPP. Now have S100, have to use it, right? So it goes on the wife`s GTP. Hey, if I`m using S100 wax I should be using S100 Shine Enhancing Cleanser. Bought SEC. Bought and used Protect All`s Quick and Easy Wash. Heard about Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe, had to buy S&W. Now the point of all this is simply that from 3 or 4 products, I have gone to 5 cleaners and waxes/sealants. Of course I had to have a PC to be able to use them. To my Meguiar`s Gold Class Shampoo, I have added two no or low water use washing products.
    I am a very conservative, (read tight), person and here I am with all this stuff I don`t really need, but can`t seem to do without. The 20 or so different products I gave away don`t count. They didn`t seem to satisfy me anymore. Good stuff, too. Meguiar`s Medallion, #6, #7. #2, 3M IHG, Showcar Paste Wax, Liquid Lustre, Liquid Glass, Finish First, and lots I can`t even remember the names of. Not to mention the 3 different QD`s I seem to think I have to have.
    What about you guys that really get caught up in this detailing stuff. How many different products do you buy?
    Do you ever think you will go back to just 2 or 3 products? I really think I might settle on the #9/AIO/UPP paint care when the other stuff is gone. Who knows, by then I will read about something new again.:p

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been thinking the exact same thing and I`m new to serious detailing. Though my arsenal of products is much smaller, I think I have bought nearly everything after I have read about it here or elsewhere. I can`t even get my act together enough to load up on my orders to save on shipping costs! I read about something and order. Read and order. Read and order. Matter of fact I just received my EX from premium and ordered a small bottle of Automagic #8B from their website today! Now I gotta have some spraywax for my doorjams. This is very addictive. Oh, did I mention I bought a PC last month and a little green machine over the weekend. Had to have the heated model, of course.

Did I mention that I like all this stuff?

Add several trips to the local auto parts stores for brushes, Stoner`s glass cleaner (because what I usually use is now inferior), I bought some crappy MF towels `cuz I had to have `em today, and other odds and ends.

Like Charles, I am a fairly conservative spender. My only saving grace recently is that my wife has been very busy at work and has not keep tight reins on the check book. And the fact that I get home to check the mail before her.:p
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    Charles I`ve often thought about what you`re saying and have come to the conclusion that detailing products are kind of like fishing lures. There`s always a "better" product around that you hear about constantly until you use it, and then either the "hook" is in, or you lose interest quickly.

The trouble is, most of the time what you`re trying isn`t as good as what you`re already using, and I`m certainly not knocking anyones products.

I recently filled a 55 gallon trash barrel with soaps and compounds that I`ve tried, and then put on shelves to clog up space in the garage.

I make my living cleaning and detailing vehicles, BUT THE REAL MONEY IS IN SELLING PRODUCT.

p.s. There are a couple of products on this bbs that have got my attention....................

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am with Coastal 100% here. Ive been detailing cars and I have realized that the money comes from selling product. I know that if I set up booths and sold this stuff at car shows, that I could make a pretty penny not to mention always having product on hand. Its really starting to drive me too, I love buisness, I love every aspect of making money, and I love to sell stuff.

God, I am 17, why cant a have a normal life?
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention that I live very close to California Car Cover. That place can empty your checking account all by itself!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    As a serious non-pro, i`ve learned that surface prep and technique is 90% of getting the look i`m after, so i`m not looking for any more "miracle" waxes. All the quality products will produce a great finish if you know what you`re doing. Maybe for showcars there`s a difference, but i`m far from that level. Simply put, the more I learn and the better I get, the less product I buy. (But I still have a TON to use up! )

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol Charles...I only have one product line

I use to have flyer at shows that said , " Do you have a garage full of products that have left you looking for something new?"

it went on and on....but the point of the matter is that most people are in that same situation , whether they are real enthusiasts or the guy who does his car once a year...

I had a guy come up to me at a Corvette show about a month ago and said, "I`ll take one of everything" ...I never saw him before and he never saw me before...I asked him if he`d like me to explain some of the products and he said no

I said i don`t feel comfortable just blindly selling you stuff you might not need....his response was , " I have money and like to try everything available, especially new stuff....he further explained that he believes that he will eventually find the product(s) that will make him the happiest....as he walked away with a big double bagged bundle, i said to myself he`s got a point.

Yes products can be good money makers, but there is a lot of risk involved and Dwayne can tell you all products will not sell and make money...but if you are lucky...it can work!!
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Shine? That's not a shine Cujo31's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use only Poorboy`s now, so I still have Megs, Coats, Prowax, and a few others just sitting on my shelf. I also keep handy my Klasse. A very good engine degreaser I have found to be Eimann Fabrik.

Cujo
    John ( aka Cujo31 )
    Custom Car Care LLC

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    IM tempted to go with just a setup of Poorboy`s and Eimann Fabrik. Both have impressed me from what I have seen and read. Poorboy`s suits my needs, which is ability for use in the sun, and that ever so nifty S&W. Eimann Fabrik, well its just nifty, nuff said.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    I have lots of products in my arsenol For diffrent jobs and cars. Im sticking to the Klasse,S100,Eimann Fabrik,Meguiars Detailer Produtcs currently. And like the results as for polishs and compounds I need to try 3M stuff But I like menzerna and meguiars.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like

Talking rtbrick

rtbrick, humm, well you might want to meet with Dr. Phil :p

Of course this is a joke, but i`m mentioning this cause the other day, there was that lady who was a compulsive shopper........let`s say taht she REALLY like Target

you`ll prolly crack a smile rading this buddy.........take care

Post Thanks / Like
    Dr. Phil, Chip? Do you know what he uses?! How does his car look? Maybe I can call in...

Since I am new to this level of detailing, I have to try at least a few products to see how they are. My small shelf of products is growing, but it won`t get out of hand. Actually, to do proper detailing and cleaning, I need all the stuff I`ve bought lately. That`s what I`ll tell the boss when I`m caught....
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    Dr. Phil, man I would love to put three layers of UPP followed up with some EX on that dudes head, maybe even throw in a clay job.

Charles, what I have been doing is working on my weakest products and trying to improve them.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking rtbrick

well, all i can say buddy is i know where you re coming from, i have some impressive products filled shelf too, mostly megs and 3m`s sit on it btw. i fully agree with you that one has to try couple of products to assess their performance, then it s much easier to settle on one in particular, or one to your liking i should say

about Dr. Phil, well the other guy that chimed in whose name slips me right now, raise a good point : couple layers of upp or zaino, plus maybe a clay job would make his head stick out it`d be fun to check the reflection it would pull out.

as to what Dr. Phil uses on his car, humm i have no idea, but id say he uses a copious amount of pledge on his head though......have you seen the glare on that thing ? or is it my tv screen ?

good to have a good laugh.......TGIF and i`m beat, prolly as many of you, so a good laugh is always welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    After reading your post, I sifted through my crates of products. I have come to the conclusion I am a wax-aholic. I have everything from Klass (aio and glaze) to full line of Megs, Malms (good topper by the way), Wax shop, 3m wax/polish/swirl removers, Mothers, Liquid Glass and of course Poor boys EX, Dwaynes UPP and an array of other QD`s and clays. I dont have any zaino or p215 products yet...Should I add this to my list of dust collectors? Actually I think I just ordered the p215 from Dwayne.

It is good to have those products around though. I have my friends over to do their cars and they are very pleased with the results of the products I no longer use. I just have them stop over with beer while I help them with their cars...Free beer is a great tradeoff for old waxes and polishes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information