Post Thanks / Like

Any Katzskin dealers in the bunch?

So I`ve been thinking about being a Katzskin dealer. Anybody have any experience. Mine is very limited. I`ve done two cars so far and have found it to be pretty easy to instal their pre-fit leather interiors. There`s no doubt that there is money to be made. I just wouldn`t know how to market it to retail consumers and am just not sure I`d get a good response. Selling to dealers isn`t hard, but as we all know, there isn`t much profit. For an average sedan, Katskin (wholesale) price for an entire interior would run about $550 +or- $50. Retail pricing runs $1100 +or- $100. Dealers will always want to make at least $200. Meaning profit doing it for them would be $300-$400. Not so great considering it`s a whole day job. And, as I understand, Katzskin guarantees its product from damage, including customer mishaps and makes the installing dealer make repairs. This scares me too. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.
    I`ve been busy but I`ll try to make some time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually I was just looking into that the other day. I asked one of the guys I work with how much he is paying to have leather seats put into his 04 Dodge 1500 ext cab and he said about 2500.00 or so. I sent a dealer / installer app in so I will let you know what I find.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any Katzskin dealers in the bunch?

Originally posted by denverdetail
    So I`ve been thinking about being a Katzskin dealer. Anybody have any experience. Mine is very limited. I`ve done two cars so far and have found it to be pretty easy to instal their pre-fit leather interiors. There`s no doubt that there is money to be made. I just wouldn`t know how to market it to retail consumers and am just not sure I`d get a good response. Selling to dealers isn`t hard, but as we all know, there isn`t much profit. For an average sedan, Katskin (wholesale) price for an entire interior would run about $550 +or- $50. Retail pricing runs $1100 +or- $100. Dealers will always want to make at least $200. Meaning profit doing it for them would be $300-$400. Not so great considering it`s a whole day job. And, as I understand, Katzskin guarantees its product from damage, including customer mishaps and makes the installing dealer make repairs. This scares me too. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.
    At a dealership in San Antonio they quoted me $1900. As a third party, I imagine they were pocketing $600 or more easily. Good luck in this venture. I like Katzskin. They seem to be a quality product.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve also been looking into this as another source of income. Have you found any "catches" in becoming a dealer? With my Xpel dealership, you aren`t 100% certified until you complete training that requires you to go to Texas for 3 days. Then you can cut your own kits with a plotter at a significant savings over the discount I get now. Total initial start up cost is around $8000.
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m gonna have to look into it a little more intensely. I have a friend who runs an uphostery shop and is a dealer for Katzskin. From what I know, kits are ordered that are specially made for the make and model of car you are installing. In looking on their web site, a consumer can place the order directly with Katskin and bipass a dealer. Obviously Katskin is getting top dollar selling this way, and I think most consumers have a preconcieved notion that the job is over their head. I`ve done installation twice and it is fairly easy, second time was a breeze. Just don`t know what is entailed in being a dealer. If any of you guys get any info, pass it on, I`ll do the same.
    I`ve been busy but I`ll try to make some time.

Thread Information