Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Sanity check using CMX, please!

Help! Need a CMX sanity check, please!

The CMX spray has clearly received stellar reviews, so I ordered a bottle and am going to give it a try. I understand that 1, CMX works best if the surface is first free of previous waxes, and 2- CMX is layer-able / stackable.

This weekend, I plan to do a complete surface prep, and then applying two layers of CMX spray. Thereafter, I will maintain day to day touch ups with instant detailer or waterless wash.

My questions are:

1- Is using the Mothers Clay 2.0 system a good way to do the surface prep for CMX spray? Should I do / use something else to prep?

2- A few months later, when wanting to re-apply a coat or two of CMX spray, would I need to do a full surface prep again, considering I maintained with instant detailer or waterless wash? (they are adding a form of light wax build-up, arn't they?)

3- Are there any concerns with any of these products in regards to PPF film? To include, is it a waste of time to apply CMX to PPF'ed areas of the car?

thank you!

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Default Re: Sanity check using CMX, please!

Hopefully you watched our How To video, where all of your questions are answered, though perhaps not as directly as you would like.

Removing any particulate contaminants by claying (with either our Speed Clay 2.0 or California Gold Clay Bar) = is recommended before applying any paint protectant; polishing immediately after claying should be performed, if necessary.

Since there are probably waxes or oils in the clay lube, using our Surface Prep would be recommended for the best durability of the CMX Ceramic Spray Coating, though it is not required.

Once you have CMX Ceramic Spray Coating installed, if you use anything with waxes or oils, such as an instant detailer or waterless wash that you mentioned, using our Surface Prep would be again recommended before applying another coat for best durability.

Surface prep, we'll assume claying and/or polishing and removing waxes/oils should be performed as needed and desired.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Hello Admin!

Thank you for the info. As I'm understanding it (from the videos, on-line info, and your reply), the best use of CMX Ceramic Spray Coating requires a complete surface prep *each time* (as opposed to not just the initial application).

This CMX process introduces another puzzle: due to the complete removal of any previous surface treatment, this re-exposes some spider webs / swirl marks I have that waxes were help hiding. After applying the CMX Ceramic Spray Coating this past weekend, it appears it does nothing to re-hide these minor imperfections. If fact given how clean and glossy CMX makes the surface, it actually makes the spider webs more apparent.

Therefore, do you have any suggestions on how to re-hide these minor imperfections while also getting the benefit of long-term protection that CMX Ceramic Spray provides?

Thank you,
Matt
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

It can actually tend to fill light defects, in some cases.

But we did just release our CMX Polish & Coat, which is now available online.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Hi Mothers,

Again thanks for your help here. Greatly appreciate the advice on your products.

It does seem like CMX Polish & Coat will help me. Good timing!

Please pardon my ignorance, but I am correct in understanding that essentially CMX Polish & Coat is the same as CMX Ceramic Spray, but with a polishing component?

If so, it seems a good process for me -- one with some light spider web swirls but also wants the longevity of a ceramic coating -- would be:

1- use CMX Polish & Coat to lessen or eliminate swirls.
2- replace my normal process of using Mothers Instant Detailer, for day to day upkeep between full detail sessions, with Mothers CMX Ceramic Spray?

Also, am I correct in understanding that by doing the above, which is keeping 100% within the CMX product line, that I wouldn't necessarily need to do a complete surface prep (removal of all previous product) upon subsequent full detail weekends and instead can just re-apply CMX Ceramic Spray?

thank you! Finger hovering over the coat and polish "buy now" button while awaiting your advice!

Matt
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

CMX Ceramic Polish & Coat can be used independently, or you can follow with the CMX Ceramic Spray Coating. For optimal results, immediately follow with the CMX Ceramic Spray Coating.

The two "coat" products are quite different.

Instant detailer would be preferred for dust removal.

Effectively, a "surface prep" would be to perform whatever steps necessary for desired results, and in most cases that's a wash, clay, polish and protect -- however many steps are required for your desired results.