Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

What do you use?

I`m going to Walmart this weekend to pick some products to detail my car. It`s silver in color and has three minor scratches that look like light grey against the silver finish. What`s a good product to fix these scratches?

To complete the wash, polish and wax I`ve used mother`s in the past. What do you fellas use to polish and wax? And what kind of a clay bar lubricant do you use?

Jayhawk fan.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. I dont have time for a long post so I will just chime in on the clay lube.

I have a detailing business so I am always looking for the best technique for results and economy. My preference for clay lube isnt a quick detailer spray, its just fresh soapy water. I wash the car down with a car soap. I rinse it well. I then dry the car and especially the windows to prevent water spots. Next I go back with my wash mit and some fresh, clean soapy bubbles and water and I wet down one small section at a time. I clay like normal then rinse the section as I go along checking to see if I got it all. I find that not only do I eliminate buying costly detail sprays but I also get the car rinsed again easily after the clay job this way.

This idea was passed along to me about a year ago and I have been doing it since with great results.

Best regards,
    John

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been considering this method, all of my QD bottles keep breaking because of the constant wear.

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds good fellas. I`ll try that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I clay this way as well with great results.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    there is a reason why QD`s come with clay bars for the most part.

ok..before I go further...with water and soap ..which is the lubricant?

neither...water is not a lubricant and neither is soap

QD`s typically have a lubricant and sufactant to lift and move dirt safely...this is why a QD is better...

I`m not saying you can`t do it with a soapy mix, but be careful...

John if you`re trying to be cost effective for your business, you need to buy your supplies in larger quantity and if you have a tax # you can often get it for wholesale pricing...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Boss_429
    Originally posted by Poorboy
    there is a reason why QD`s come with clay bars for the most part.

ok..before I go further...with water and soap ..which is the lubricant?

neither...water is not a lubricant and neither is soap

QD`s typically have a lubricant and sufactant to lift and move dirt safely...this is why a QD is better...

Hmmmmm............. I can see where this one is going, and I think I`ll stay out of it for the better part of valor!

In Exile
    Post Thanks / Like

hehe

Originally posted by Boss_429

Hmmmmm............. I can see where this one is going, and I think I`ll stay out of it for the better part of valor!
    I know what your saying. Not much profit margin in Soap and Water.

Oops, did I say that out loud? Maybe I`d better stay out of this too.

(all in good fun)

Boss_429

Re: hehe

Originally posted by biff

I know what your saying. Not much profit margin in Soap and Water.

Nope, that`s not it! If my memory serves me right, Poorboy isn`t a big clay bar fan to begin with. Therefore, he doesn`t offer a clay bar, or a QD that would be normally used with one. So, I doubt that profit has anything to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boss
    I believe your memory is correct, Poorboy is not a fan of clay bars and I think (if my memeory is corrrect) that he only uses them if the polish he uses does not do the trick.

Poorboy-I believe this is what you were saying in previous threads.

Boss- on a side not , where in Ne Pa are you from? Just noticed your location. Any rain lately????

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    What does he have against the clay bar?
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Boy you guys start early

Boss actually I do have clay bars but, I don`t push them at all.

The Spray and Wipe is EXceellent as a lubricant for claying and can also be diluted upto 50% for this use....

what do I have against clay bars

Only that they are a bit over-used and that people think that clay bars are the answer to almost every problem....

rtcat..good memory...yes I will use them if and when polishing does not remove the contaminates from the surface....

There is a multi-National Award Winning truck on my web-site...Boss you know who i mean, who was using clay when I met him and now he doesn`t clay at all. His problems were not imbedded particles, but just a lot of old products and fling combined , that left a haze and rough areas in his finish.
    Now polishing is all he does for preparation before EX.

In Exile
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Poorboy

There is a multi-National Award Winning truck on my web-site...Boss you know who i mean, who was using clay when I met him and now he doesn`t clay at all.

Do NOT type in www.poorboy.com when looking for Poorboy`s website!! Especially at the office!!!!

Boss_429
    biff,

Oh sure, so you post the link here so everybody can click on it!

Poorboy,

I agree, one post about using clay bars, Dawn, polishes, etc. at the "proper" time always grows out of proportion. Each post adds a word or two, or drops a word or two that causes the original intent and purpose to get lost. Anyhow, my point was........... I didn`t want to get into a discussion about sufactants, lubrication, encapsulation, and all that stuff................. I think you know what I mean. Kinda like the rail-dust stuff!

rtcat,

I`m near Sweet Valley........... ring a bell? Where are you located?

Post Thanks / Like
    Biff that`s my side biz

Yes Boss that`s my point...it has a purpose just not on a monthly list as I see some people do.
    And if it`s rail dust..... then it should come out the first time if done correctly and the surface becomes smooth and contaminate free....right....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information