Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 08-02-2005

Default dry to a haze? (how long?)

hey guys how you doing, my name is justin and i just got my camaro about 2-3 months ago. decided i wanted to wax it so i waxed it with meguires, dident look good or last long. used the clay bar, used the wax that came with that. but that dident seam to last eather. ive been using that mr clean auto dry system and also armorall (its blue i know i dident spell that right)

so now im using the mothers car wash and i used the reflections wax. but i have no idea how long it takes to dry to a haze. i let it turn white and then wiped it off with a microfiber towel about 10-12min and it shined like no other, is it was smooth and slick as glass or what ever. but a week later ill go to slide my finger across it and it feels like it has no wax. liek my finger screeches along it.

i did use some of teh quick detailer on it a couple days after, but i dont think that would remove the wax, or would it?

how much wax should i use when puting it on, how long befor i go to buff it off whats teh trick im 18 so go easy on me thanks
Old 08-02-2005
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: dry to a haze? (how long?)

You want to put the wax on so it makes a haze on the paint. If it turns white, you put it on too thick.

In the summer, it should take just a few minutes to dry to a haze.
Old 08-03-2005

so what will make it last longer? whats the trick apply thin?
Old 08-06-2005

Applying wax in thin coats just comes with experience. You want just enough wax on the applicator to form a light haze on the paint when the wax sets up. If the wax looks like whiteout or plaster, then you applied it too thick.

The durability of a wax just depends on your environmental conditions. A car that is a garage queen may only have to be waxed once a year, but a daily driver my need waxing once a month. I like to wax atleast every 3 months because that seems to work for me.

As far as the wax's durability, these new synethetic waxes (FX & Reflections) are different than carnaubas in my experience. When applying either FX or Reflections, the surface is super slick. However, that slickness only seems to last a few days but the wax still provides protection. I have been using the FX for about 9 months, and imo, the protection is very good compared to other brands. A carnauba generally doesn't leave the surface as slick as a synthetic wax, but it will feel slicker longer.
Old 08-11-2005

You can use Showtime Instant Detailer after every wash to maintain the slickness and that just-waxed look. It lasts about 24 hours. It won't remove your existing wax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad6as
i did use some of teh quick detailer on it a couple days after, but i dont think that would remove the wax, or would it?
Closed Thread