Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Tire & Wheel Care

Tire & Wheel Care Whether you have hubcaps, clearcoated factory alloy, or custom wheels worth thousands, you'll want them to look their best. Metal polishing is also discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 10-02-2015

Default Painted/ NON Clear Coated Wheels

Need some help guys....

Bought a new set of wheels a week ago, Giovanna Dramuno-6 and have cleaned them once. Looking the vehicle over the other day I noticed numerous swirls and surface scratches all over them.

My process is...
Spray wheel cleaner>>
Agitate with Daytona wheel brush
Rinse
Wash with micro fiber mitt using normal foaming car wash soap>>
Rinse and dry with microfiber towel

I called the mfg to determine the finish of the wheel. I was told the wheel is sprayed with a semi gloss black and NOT clear coated. The face is machined with a light clear coat.

My question is, are there any products out there that will help remove the surface scratches and swirls?

Lastly, any recommendations on cleaning and upkeep of non clear coated wheels would be much appreciated.

**Note to guys with black Giovanna, Gianelle or Koko Kuture wheels. The mfg confirmed all three lines do not use a clear coat on black finishes.

Old 10-02-2015
Administrator

Default Re: Painted/ NON Clear Coated Wheels

I would generally avoid wheel cleaners on a semi-gloss painted finish, and use only car wash. Repeated use of a wheel cleaner on anything but a high-gloss OEM finish can degrade the finish.

A great tool that I've found useful for cleaning is a Wheel Woolie. Its reach allows easy access to the barrel (behind the spokes) and it is also quite gentle, but does a more thorough job than a brush and is easier to use than a mitt.

With a semi-gloss finish you will have to expect to bring up a little more gloss if you try to polish away any scratches... not necessarily a bad thing, but just expect that.

My first suggestion would be to try our California Gold Synthetic Paste Wax, as with its mild polishes it should minimize the scratches and add a coat of protection to both the paint and the bare aluminum to make cleaning more easy. The paste has a bit more luster, but the liquid would also be fine.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 10-03-2015

Thanks for the quick reply Admin! Just to note, the black painted area on the wheels is NOT cleared coated but the machined face IS. With that being said, would the California Gold Synthetic wax would ok for the entire wheel?

Also, with the California Gold Synthetic Wax, is there a difference in paste vs liquid?

Lastly, would you recommend a quick detailer for in between washes? I normally wax wheels every 4-6 weeks and use a quick detailer after each wash in between.

Thanks again!
Old 10-05-2015
Administrator

Synthetic Wax is fine for the bare aluminum -- use Billet Metal Polish when it does actually need polishing.

Paste won't drip and will give a richer look on black, but basically they're the same.

Use Spray Wax after a wash instead of the instant detailer -- more protection and gloss.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Closed Thread