Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 06-16-2014

Default wax for plastic windscreen & chrome covered plastics/headlight

My scooter
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=144b...8#.U56dGCh7Q-U

I currently use son of a gun on the inner black plastics/seat (and it even keeps the exhaust from turning rust) and trim here and there so it doesnt fade. also on the painted rims and I use mothers carnauba wax for the body.

but I need something for the front windshield, and there are chromed covered plastic parts as well that the mothers wax doesnt clean well. it looks clean but doesnt real look clean.

it does bead when it rains but water marks are still there. this is the same for the windshield. there are marks there and a touch of yellowing and while the mothers does bead in rain, Im certain there is something that I can use thats a better product. something that can also be used on the headlight from oxidizing?

would prefer a paste. but not critical. I want it to clean it from oxidation and if I cant find a cleaner/wax then a good cleaner that I can after use the mothers carnauba wax to protect/bead
Old 06-16-2014

Default Re: wax for plastic windscreen & chrome covered plastics/headlight

Try some Mothers Plastic Polish.

Bar none, this is the best plastic polish on the market. Whether it’s your turn signal lenses, center caps, brake lights, convertible top window or the clear plastic gauge cluster cover, Mothers® Plastic Polish will clean, shine and protect the clear stuff with crystal clarity. This is a true polish — you can buff out hairline scratches, smudges, flaws and little nicks, as well as clean away yellowing and stains from your plastic convertible window. Mothers® Plastic Polish doesn’t stop there — it protects your plastics from the sun, smog, water stains and airborne contaminants with a tough layer of polymers.

#06208, 8 oz

If your headlight is more oxidized and plastic polish didn't remove it then consider the headlight kit.

Designed to quickly and safely restore, maintain and protect all types of smooth, shiny plastic and acrylic headlights to crystal clarity. It easily cleans away yellowing and stains, and even buffs out unsightly hairline scratches, smudges, and flaws in a single step. The included PowerPlastic 4Lights® polish restores crystal clarity, leaving a tough protective, oxidation-inhibiting polymer layer to guard against future degradation from the elements.
#07251, Includes: 3” Backing Plate, PowerBall 4Lights® Polishing Tool, Restoration Discs, 8 oz. Polish

You can put a coat of wax over the area to further protect the plastic.
Old 06-16-2014
Administrator

For the windscreen and other plastics, do not use the sanding discs -- use the polish and the PowerBall only.

The sanding discs are for coated lamp lenses only.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 06-19-2016

I have brand new PC headlights. Does the plastic polish have UV protectorant? I am concerned about the aggressiveness of its "scratch removal" capabilities. PC plastic usually has a UV film on the outside. I am worried that the polish will polish that film off eventually making the yellowing worse. Comments?
Old 06-19-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fxrsjoe View Post
I have brand new PC headlights. Does the plastic polish have UV protectorant? I am concerned about the aggressiveness of its "scratch removal" capabilities. PC plastic usually has a UV film on the outside. I am worried that the polish will polish that film off eventually making the yellowing worse. Comments?
There should be no concerns. The polishing ability is mechanical, so if you simply wipe the polish on the surface and let it dry, you are not degrading the coating, which is generally relatively thick. Once you buff away the haze, the UV protection is left behind.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Closed Thread