Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Tire & Wheel Care

Tire & Wheel Care Whether you have hubcaps, clearcoated factory alloy, or custom wheels worth thousands, you'll want them to look their best. Metal polishing is also discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 10-26-2013

Default tiny swirl/scratches on black, clearcoat wheels (gloss)

what is the best way to remove tiny surface scratches/swirl marks from my gloss black, clearcoated wheels (American Racing AR894 18")? Products/procedures/tips please!!! Thanks
Old 10-26-2013
Administrator

Default Re: tiny swirl/scratches on black, clearcoat wheels (gloss)

Wheels take a lot of abuse, and unfortunately black finishes show that abuse more than factory colors, which tend to be shades of silver.

Wash them thoroughly, use a clay bar, if necessary, to remove contaminants (an old one you won't use again on body paint would be good), and then polish and wax them like you would paint.

Try first a cleaner wax in a test spot to see how it responds -- whatever you use on your body paint would be a good start. We often find our Plastic Polish or PowerPlastic 4Lights works really well, and both polish as well as protect.

If you need something with a little more cut, maybe try our Mothers California Gold Pure Polish #07100 and Mothers California Gold Micro-Polishing Glaze #08100, or our Professional Rubbing Compound and Professional Finishing Polish. Follow either pair with your favorite wax.

Wash them frequently with car wash and a mitt or brush dedicated for your wheels to safely flush away debris, and dry with a spray wax and a soft towel.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 10-26-2013

YES they told me to use Plastic Polish on my aluminum + painted + clearcoat wheels, worked perfectly.

just the right amount of grit to clean but now wear away the clearcoat.

good luck
Old 10-26-2013

I have the plastic headlight kit. So your saying to use the polish from this kit? I was thinking the cause of these small swirl/scratch marks was because I didn't know that the different color balls were for different purposes...and I washed and used the BLUE ball and used it with the step 1 polish for my wheels. the hit them with the showtime and they looked like new. But after driving 2-3 times and wiping down, I can see the tiny marks. have ordered the powerball 4 paint and waiting for it so I can finish the 3 step wax kit. Any info/suggestion will help. Thanks for the reply from both of you (Admin and Eddie)
Old 10-27-2013
Administrator

Yes, the plastic polish from that kit -- try it by hand.

The PowerBall 4Lights may work, but you'll have to test it and see if it's too agressive -- aftermarket finishes vary in hardness, and with the black finish, you'll notice almost right away.

Best thing is to wash the wheels -- don't wipe them off while dry and dirty.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Closed Thread