Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Tire & Wheel Care

Tire & Wheel Care Whether you have hubcaps, clearcoated factory alloy, or custom wheels worth thousands, you'll want them to look their best. Metal polishing is also discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 08-16-2004

Default "Westley's" Bleach White damage to Aluminum wheels ??

Greetings,
I mistakenly used some Westley's Bleach White on what I believe are cleat-coated Al wheels. They're American Racing Baja wheels. I immediately noticed staining and hosed them off ASAP, but the stains are still there. I also get a black residue on a rag when I applied Mothers cleaner wax to it in an effort to determine if I nuked the clear coat.

I assume the wheels were originally clear coated because they had a very polished appearance and I have yet to polish them. Can I polish them and re-clear coat the wheels? Do I need to remove the existing clear coat first? Should I try wet sanding and polishing? No pics, my digicam took a dump, but the wheels (two of five) are hazed over with streaks.

Thanks
Mark
Old 08-16-2004
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: "Westley's" Bleach White damage to Aluminum wheels ??

I'm not certain if the AR Baja wheels are coated or not, but Bleche White is certainly strong enough to stain a coated or non-coated wheel.

Try a small amount of Mag & Aluminum Polish on a clean towel. If it turns black when you start rubbing, the wheels are NOT coated, and you can continue to use the Mag & Aluminum Polish to remove the staining.

If the wheel does not turn black, the wheels are coated. In that case, you'll want a clear coat safe polish like our Clear Coat Wheel Polish to remove the staining. You may want to consider a safer tire cleaner in the future, to prevent wheel damage.
Closed Thread