Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 11-07-2007

Default Wash mixed with Wax?

I've read a tip in the Net.

If I understood it correctly, the writer of the tip posited that washing a car degrades the wax on the paint to some degree.

To address this issue of wax degredation, the writer suggested that we mix liquid wax into our shampoo (ratio: about 3 parts shampoo, 1 part liquid wax); shake the mixture vigorously in a small bottle; pour it into our bucket; wash the car; then rinse the car very thoroughly.

I was wondering... Has anyone tried this tip? Is this an effective way of rejuvenating or prolonging the wax on the paint?

Thanks.

My auto detailing experiences:
http://autodetailingexperience.blogspot.com/
Old 11-07-2007

Default Re: Wash mixed with Wax?

jonjon_u
Sometimes, tips like this might have an element of truth in them, and to really prove it completely, the only way is to actually do it for yourself.

For me though, this throws up a few questions.
True, the car wash might tend to degrade some of the wax or whatever product it is that you might use for protection, and that's why a dedicated car wash soap is recommended because this is specifically formulated not to eat wax, whereas dish soap is specifically formulated to eat up grease, and wax as well.
So if you use a car wash soap, then this tends to keep a percentage of the wax still on the paint, and that is exactly why the use of one of the (now three) Spray Wax products is recommended to 'top up' that percentage of wax the car wash may remove.

So, wash the car, sheet rinse, dry with the place pat and lift method, and then a quick go around with the Spray Wax will take a certain time.

Mix the wax into the car wash soap using whatever ratio, wash the car and then.........................? What method would you use to dry the car and and spread the wax as well? Would there be any time saving?

See how it raises more questions than it might address.
However, all that is really incidental.

The thing I cannot quite understand is the chemistry behind this.
How does the wax chemically mix in with the soap, no matter what the ratio? Then as you spread the soap suds/wax mixture around during the wash, how does the wax then chemically unmix from the soap, and then bond to the paint while only the soap suds are sheeted away during the rinse, leaving just the wax to presumably buff away with a MF polishing cloth?

I would be more certain if I did a dedicated wash, and then sprayed on a topper, and I honestly believe it would take less time.

Right back in the late sixties when astute marketing saw wash and wax products became the 'norm', these same things niggled away in my mind then, just as much as they still do to this day.

I still recall Forrest actually being a little less than his usual diplomatic self one time when he might have mentioned that the wax might have magically found its way into the soap bottle as it was passed over the top of a tub of wax.

Lastly, car wash soap is designed to be its best as car wash soap, wax is designed to be its best as wax. Any combination lessens the effect of both.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 11-07-2007

I also think if one washes the vehicle thoroughly (no dirt left), and uses a soft, high quality WW towel for drying, it is very safe and simple to mist on some Reflections or FX Spray Wax during the drying process, and finish drying the vehicle and apply a bit of protection all in one shot.

Works great for me, and I have noticed no marring from the process. Heck, the Spray Wax may be even aiding in the drying process.
Old 11-07-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detail Guy View Post
I also think if one washes the vehicle thoroughly (no dirt left), and uses a soft, high quality WW towel for drying, it is very safe and simple to mist on some Reflections or FX Spray Wax during the drying process, and finish drying the vehicle and apply a bit of protection all in one shot.

Works great for me too.

kbshadow
stockton Ca
Old 11-07-2007
Mothers® Polish

Wax will not mix with water - it will be suspended in it.

I don't hold much faith in the mixing wax with car wash soap theory.
Old 11-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detail Guy View Post
I agree. I have tried this with the FX Spray Wax.

Old 11-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest T. View Post
Wax will not mix with water - it will be suspended in it.
My same thoughts when i read the tip.

Old 11-11-2007

Came to a point that I was wondering why were there many manufacturers of these wash n' wax combo! Does that mean that there is a demand for it! Hehe!
Closed Thread