Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 06-22-2007

Default For my mother's car. (What else?)

Gentlemen.

So often I come here, read posts with questions, and then see the results achieved with so many cool cars.

Now we may have cool cars, but our mother's, well, they just wonder why we don't all have 'sensible' cars.

Sometimes, now that I know something about what I'm doing when it comes to car care, I find it's a bit of a blessing with 3 of my 4 siblings living so far away, and children also a distance away as well.
Why?
Gee, that looks good. Can you do that with mine too?

My brother is currently holidaying here from our nation's Capital, Canberra, about a thousand miles away from here where the Winters really are cold, and not as mild as here in Queensland.

My mum has also just come back from an extended stay in the South, and has been hinting that her car needed another clean.

The one advantage of having family's cars to work with is that I get to use different products on them. I've settled for the 3 step process for my car, but for the three others I've worked on, I've used single step products.

I did my mum's car six months back and after clay, I used the Carnauba Cleaner Wax.
Yesterday, I worked on her car again.
All she has done in the interim is drive it through the car wash, and I told her to only use the ones where just the water touches the car.
She's washed it three times in those 6 months, and I washed it again yesterday prior to starting.
I hadn't taken my clay with me, and really, the only places that needed clay were the horizontal surfaces, and they weren't all that bad either.
I was surprised how good the paint was after so long, because after just washing, it still had some 'pop' left from the original work.

My brother watched while I did the work.

He knows that I've become interested in car care, and it was always something he thought was difficult by its very nature, and time consuming.

I did half the bonnet (hood) applying Carnauba Cleaner Wax with a yellow applicator, waited to show him what it meant by allowing the product to haze, (and not to dry hard) and the time this takes, and then I tossed him the MF polishing cloth to remove the product. He was literally astounded that it came off so easily with so little effort, and with such seemingly minor work, came up looking so good.

He still left me to finish the whole car on my own, while he just watched and got me a couple of coffee's.

It took me just on 2 hours to do the whole car. I then did the windows. The wheels are just steel, but look to be powder coated I think. It's just sort of colour matched to the car's paint, but they have no clear coating or anything as I can gather. I just cleaned them during the wash process.

I wasn't going to post photographs, as it's not really a 'cool' car per se, but then I looked on the Mazda US site, and this is another of those cars you don't have in the US.

It's a Mazda 121 and they give it the extra label of Metro. It has a 1.5 Litre engine, automatic transmission, and what else. It's perfect for the time honoured 'little old lady' to drive on short trips.
My mum is 78 and it just takes her to her Country Womens Association Meetings and to Lodge, as well as shopping etc, and the longest trip would be 60, 70 miles or so.

Good old trusty Carnauba Cleaner Wax. Came up a treat.
My brother is also convinced now too. He's getting the basic minimum Pad, MF polishing cloth and the CCW for his white Yaris.

Tony.
Attached Images

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 06-22-2007

Default Re: For my mother's car. (What else?)

Tony

Paint and trim looks great.

Windows too, what did you use on the windows.

kbshadow
stockton Ca
Old 06-22-2007

kbshadow.

They say that each car is different to work on.
The trim at half door height actually did not feel like hard vinyl, but more like metal, and when the white stuff got on it during the application, no matter how careful I might be, it just wiped off like on metal, and was not as difficult as it is on textured vinyl trim. It was just like black painted metal trim.
Mum has no tint film on the windows, and I've found a Brand that makes very soft paper towels. I just sprayed the Mothers Window cleaner on the window with the nozzle on 'spray', wiped with one of the tear off sheets of the paper towel, and then tore off another sheet and wiped it dry. Then with those two towels still flat in my hand, I sprayed the next glass and used the previous drying towel to clean the window, tore off a fresh sheet to this pile to dry and then proceeded to the next glass. It makes it really easy to work, even as the number of towels in your hand thickens, sort of like a cushion. Also, you may notice in the last picture there, the rear view, the word Metro. The same on the opposite side says Mazda.
They're stick on, hard vinyl decals, so the only chrome model indicators anywhere on the car are the Mazda logo on the front and middle rear, and they're not too fiddly to polish/wax inside and around.

My brother also wanted to see the range of Mothers products so as to know what to look for when he gets back to Canberra, so I took him to our local AutObarn, which has just moved from it's previous location to newer premises, almost double the size. They've been there for two weeks now. They've had a soft opening, but the big opening is scheduled for a week or so away, and Paul, the franchisee, tells me there will be specials all over the shop.
He met me at the door, and he (and the rest of the guys there) knows me pretty well now. He tells me business has really increased in the last 6 months, and he needed the extra space. He's in a much better position now.
Their Mothers display, and theirs has always been the biggest in this area, has actually grown, and now takes up the same space as that other M crowd, and, unlike other stores, these guys actually understand the use and application for all the Mothers products, whereas in some of the other stores, they just sort of 'wave and waffle', and let you decide.

One thing that I did find was that he had some new stock.
This Window Cleaner I have pictured here is my bottle, but he does have the newer shaped bottle. Showtime was also in this shaped bottle, and has only been in the new bottle for 6 months here now.
He also has new stock of the trim restorer, and all his bottles are 'Naturally Black' so obviously the ones I saw in the other store were not old stock, but newer ones in with the older 'Back to Black.' For all you other Australian readers (if there are any of you) rest assured the product is the same, just with different named labeling.

My brother wants to work his car too, but not to the same extent I do. He wants to keep it simple, and to that end, it seems the Australian importer of Mothers here is coming to his aid.
They have a subsidiary Company here called Mothers Little Helpers, and they make some accessories, and some products as well that are not the same as the Mothers products but complement them. They do some brushes, but sadly, not all of the Mothers accessories.
They are having a promotional thing and oddly enough it features Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax. They have an offer where they are including an applicator pad with the 'red bottle'. Its larger than a normal sized applicator and is covered in blue Microfibre, and has a glove type attachment so you can fit your hand flat into the pocket on one side while using the other side to apply the product. It's about 5 inches across, round and made by the subsidiary company 'Mothers Little Helpers'. The applicator is shrink wrapped in clear plastic to the Carnauba Cleaner Wax bottle, quite a clever ploy really.

Another product in a red bottle I noticed that I haven't seen before is topical at the moment.
It's the same smaller sized bottle as the Chrome Polish, Plastic Polish et al, and it's called Clear Coat Wheel Polish.
Is this a new product or a discontinued one?

Tony.

Attached Images

Old 06-23-2007

Clear Coat Polish is discontinued. Better stock up on it!!! Works nicely to make wheel clean up easier. Also adds some shine (in my experience)
Old 06-23-2007
Administrator

She looks real nice, Tony! Thanks, as always, for sharing your photos and experiences!
Old 06-23-2007

to the Australian viewers out there
What brand was the paper towel :P

Awesome work
- Patrick
Old 06-23-2007

Patrick.

Not all products that look the same are the same, and this also applies with something as basically simple as paper towels.
I've had some that are really average and the odd one or two that are just okay, and that's why I used a Microfibre cloth for the glass.
This is a brand that's been around for a while, but this paper towel itself is a relatively new product that this Company has released.
I've found with paper towels that most of them are two sided, and what I mean by this is that one side is softer than the other, and the thing was to always use the soft side.
This one however is slightly textured which I think shows in the photograph, and is in itself very soft, and importantly both sides are the same.
This is the plain white one, and I'd stay with that plain white and not get the one with the coloured print.
They come in two sizes, and I just get the double because they were on special.
They cost slightly more than some of the others, but I think they are considerably better.
Don't scrunch them up. Use them flat one sheet at a time and just add the next clean dry sheet to the pile to dry off one window, and after spraying the next, use this sheet to clean, and then get a new sheet to the pile to dry that cleaned window off, if you get the idea.

If the inside of your windows have tint film, use a microfibre polishing cloth and do not use paper towels, and always use a dedicated auto window cleaning product like the Mothers one, because it does not contain any ammonia, which will eat tint film as quick as you rub it in.

Tony.

Attached Images

Old 06-23-2007

Looks pretty good, Tony! Momma must be happy. My Momma likes it when I take care of her car, too.

On to the glass cleaning...

Target (pronounced like the French might say it, "Tar-jay," here in Orange County), has a short nap glass microfiber in their Vroom brand that I've tried recently and it's not too bad.

Though for the interior of the windshields (or windscreens to you Down Under), I've actually been favoring to use the so-called microfiber wash mitts that are made out of regular towel-like material. The mitt allows me to use the back of my hand quite easily for those tough-to-reach angles. I can spray on the mitt on one side, clean, then flip it over and buff dry. I've got an assortment of these mitts and I'm thinking they work pretty good partly because they are foam lined so you get a good bit of "bulk" as you wipe. I didn't get them for washing the car, mind you, just for dusting, and now I think they're pretty good windscreens and rear windows that are hard to negotiate.

Some brands of "glass" microfiber towels are of a very tight weave with virtually no nap and I'm still not keen on those. Other brands of glass towels are offered in a waffle weave, and I haven't used them enough to have much of an opinion, but they look quite a bit like the Mothers Wheel & Jamb Towel's weave.

Personally, I might use paper towels only for the exterior of very dirty glass to pre-clean before using my much-coveted microfibers. I used to like to use a quality plush cotton terry towel for glass, but it seems I'm a microfiber addict lately.
Old 06-25-2007

Cheers Tony for the info + picture
Closed Thread