Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 08-20-2014

Default Back to Black - Opinions

As far as Back to Black goes for me, I like the product when using it, but the lasting results after has always disappointed me! All the Black all fades back after a couple of days! Is it me or do others have the same opinion about the product???
Old 08-21-2014
Administrator

Default Re: Back to Black - Opinions

Sometimes the trim needs to be cleaned thoroughly, and luckily we have our Mothers Back-to-Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner.

Mothers® Back-to-Black® Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner Kit provides unmatched cleaning ability, restoring your exterior trim and textured plastics to their original, like-new color. Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner is not a cover-up; it deep cleans, allowing you to erase years of neglect and environmental abuse, including oxidation, dirt, road grime and even stubborn embedded wax. It features a unique, drip-free gel, leaving you with a long-lasting, naturally clean surface.

#06141, Includes: 12 oz. Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, Trim Brush

On contact surfaces like side steps, we'd recommend you just clean it, and avoid using our traditional Back-to-Black Trim Restorer.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 08-21-2014

One other thing is that a final buff always helps to remove any excess product.
Old 12-02-2014

Will 40 deg weather affect the cleaner?
Old 12-02-2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileysworld View Post
Will 40 deg weather affect the cleaner?
It's getting somewhat chilly to use, but the important thing is that it doesn't freeze... you'll just have to try it and find out.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 12-02-2014

I'll take the before and after pics today if it doesn't get dark on me after work. The antenna holder almost looks grey! Thanks
Old 12-02-2014

I have noticed increased durability of back to black after using the trim cleaner.

Here's the write up I did.

http://www.waxforum.com/showthread.php?t=5046
Old 12-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
I have noticed increased durability of back to black after using the trim cleaner.
This applies to any protection product such as paint. It works best when the surface is clean since the product is intended to bond to plastic or metal and not dirt.
Old 10-23-2015

I just used Back to Black trim restorer and couldn't be more pleased. I have been using Megs Ultimate Black and while it works and lasted for some time it always seemed to streak and required multiple touch ups. I used Mother's and it painted on my plastic windshield cowling like a dream without multiple applications. Excess wiped off with a microfibre effortlessly. The stuff that hit the windshield glass cleaned off just as eaisly. Impressed for sure. And the look of my cowling is NEW again.
Old 10-26-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeLW View Post
I just used Back to Black trim restorer and couldn't be more pleased. I have been using Megs Ultimate Black and while it works and lasted for some time it always seemed to streak and required multiple touch ups. I used Mother's and it painted on my plastic windshield cowling like a dream without multiple applications. Excess wiped off with a microfibre effortlessly. The stuff that hit the windshield glass cleaned off just as eaisly. Impressed for sure. And the look of my cowling is NEW again.
Use the trim cleaner every now and then and you will get longer durability of back to black. Both work very well in maintain the plastic trim on the car. I have seen Back to Black outlast Megs Ultimate Black on a side by side test and prepping the surface the same.
Old 11-27-2015

I have an old 99 5 series and the black plastic trim has the usual whitish residue due to oxidation and definitely wax. Quite annoying, it was something I know was inevitable so I just tried to use whatever household detergent or car all purpose cleaner with little effect. And I tried to hide it by using other dressings (trim, protectant or even tire gels), no real success.

I thought this trim cleaner was another gimmick, so I ignored it. The bug bit me and I bought it, good choice. I tried it on the bm's faded trim. I expected it to be like water or a very thin liquid and not like the thick liquid. The brush is quite thin and the bristles, for now seem a bit to stiff.

It worked much better and faster than I expected. Now the car's black trim is truly black, it even looks nice as it is even without any protectant.

I should have tried this product a long time ago!
Closed Thread