Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Tire & Wheel Care

Tire & Wheel Care Whether you have hubcaps, clearcoated factory alloy, or custom wheels worth thousands, you'll want them to look their best. Metal polishing is also discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 11-04-2007

Default Brake dust on Corvette wheels

My dad has a 94 Corvette with the factory aluminum wheels. He is getting a amazing amount of brake dust. He has been complaining about having to clean the wheels after taking the Vette out for a ride after washing it. I tried to get him to switch to a ceramic brake pad to stop it, but he won't.

So what polish will help prevent the build-up of the brake dust?
Old 11-04-2007
Administrator

Default Re: Brake dust on Corvette wheels

Welcome to Wax Forum!

You can use most any polish/wax to polish and protect the tough plasticized clearcoat on factory alloys, but the best all-around product is our Plastic Polish or PowerPlastic applied by hand or with a PowerBall.

For regular maintenance, wash frequently and then add a little shine and protection, wipe with a microfiber cloth sprayed with a product like our FX Spray Wax -- it helps keep brake dust from sticking, making washing them easy.
Old 11-04-2007

whowey.
Welcome. See how much of a chicken I am.
I wasn't quite game enough to comment, not knowing if Corvette wheels from 13 years back were clear coated or not, but now our friend at Admin has confirmed it, I'll agree with what he says.

Every time the Corvette goes out for a drive does not have to end in a complete car wash, but a suggestion might be this,
Have a small spray bottle with some Mothers Cal Gold Car Wash mixture in it, and here, use the tiniest amount of the yellow car wash concentrate in a full bottle of water. Also have a microfibre covered round applicator, and I'm not sure if you have those ones with a pocket to fit your hand into on sale in the US, but these are perfect for this task.
Spray the soap and water mix into the round blue applicator, and do each wheel, and this way, all you need do are the wheels.
If there is a coating of the FX spray wax on the wheels already the brake dust just wipes off soooooo easily.
Once finished, then spray some more FX Spray Wax into a MF cloth and wipe the wheels again.
I'm thinking of a maximum fifteen minutes all up for the whole task, and if the 'Vette is a prized car, then these 15 minutes will be incidental.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 11-04-2007
Administrator

Unless they're hardened chrome or custom wheels, they'd be clearcoated.
Old 11-04-2007

Guys,

Thanks a ton!!

This thing is his baby, he spends two or three hours every weekend washing, waxing and detailing it.

I get to do all the mechanical work to it, but he won't let me put anything but OEM pads on it. But I expect this will get me off the hook for this brake dust problem.
Closed Thread