Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Tire & Wheel Care

Tire & Wheel Care Whether you have hubcaps, clearcoated factory alloy, or custom wheels worth thousands, you'll want them to look their best. Metal polishing is also discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 04-24-2006

Smile Scratches on Vette polished aluminum wheels

Hi,

I have a 2004 Corvette that has polished aluminum wheels. I recently applied a coat of Blue Magic Metal polish cleaner that left my wheels with a slight haze and very thin hairline scratches.

I know you have a new product call the Power Ball and you have a Power Metal aluminum cleaner, polish and wax. Would any of these products remove the very thin scratches and haze I now have on my polished aluminum wheels? If I were to use the Power Ball can I use it by hand? I do not have a polishing machine. Going forward which one of your products would you recommend for my wheels keeping in my mind that they are polished aluminum wheels (very bright!).

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-24-2006
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: Scratches on Vette polished aluminum wheels

Assuming your rims are the OE ones, they are clearcoated in addition to being polished.

The product you used is a metal polish - it's really made for bare aluminum,, not coated aluminum. That's why there's a haze and hairline scratches.

The PowerBall is made to be used with a drill. If you have a drill, it's a simple matter to chuck it up in the drill, apply an appropriate polish and remove the haze and hairline scratches.

If you don't own a drill, could you borrow one from a neighbor? You'll only need it 20 minutes or so.

With coated rims, I'd suggest you stay away from a metal polish (and that includes our PowerMetal) and use something like our Plastic Polish instead. The clear on a rim is a plasticized urethane, so a plastic polish would be appropriate.

Does this help?
Old 04-24-2006

Thanks Forrest for your quick reply .

Should I use your Plastic Polish and the PowerBall to get rid of the scratches? I do have a drill at home so that solves that problem! WHich Powerball should I purchase? After I use the Plastic Cleaner what should I then apply to the wheels to keep them protected and clean?

Thanks a million for your help!

Isaac
Old 04-24-2006
Mothers® Polish

The PowerBall and Plastic Polish should get rid of the hairline scratches, if they're small and light like I think they are.

Your rims are the open, 5 spoke type, right? If so, they large (original) PowerBall would be your best bet. Rims with small openings would benefit from the PowerBall Mini.

Plastic Polish will leave a polymer coating behind. It will protect the rims just fine. It should be all you need.
Old 04-24-2006

Thanks so much for your help. I am ordering the stuff today! Take care.

Isaac
Closed Thread