Post Thanks / Like

Angry confounded swirls!

Continuing from another thread...

I tried again to remove the swirls in a dark green, `98 Camry. I used an orange pad with SSR2, then a yellow pad with SSR3 and finally a white pad with SSR1. Topped it off with EX.

Bottom line is the swirls are still there. The sequence of SSRs did nothing to remove them.

This is how the car has been cared for since new: waxed just a few times, washed maybe twice a month, the wash mitt and bucket were simply stored outside on a carport (mitt was never washed or cleaned!).

Maybe I am dealing with something beyond the capabilities of a PC and SSR3? Though it seems like others are having good results. I need some opinions on where I am going wrong with these swirls.

I do have to say that the finish was smooth before when I used the Menzerna products (and the HiTemp light cut I used on my truck), but after the SSR3 the finish was like glass! So it seems the SSRs are doing their job. The swirls just will not budge.

What can I do next to remove the swirls? Would a wool or black cutting pad make a difference?

here is a pic after the SSR2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    after SSR3 then SSR1
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    after EX and out of direct sun
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    If the swirls are still there, you just have to take off more paint, which is not always the best thing to do. Have you tried using 3M SWR and IHG? They will cover a lot of sins.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not tried to hide the swirls. Being anal, like the rest of DetailCity , I wanted to remove them. I guess me inexperience is showing as other members have been able to accomplish this task. I don`t know if I can use another product over EX or not. I`m not in the stripping down mood with this car right now.
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, i`m a bit on the anal side myself, but you have to really consider all the ramifications of going after swirls with lambswool pads and orbital buffers. If it`s your car and it`s going to be garaged and babied, OK, but if the person is just going to let it get f&$ked up again, then what? More swirls, more lambswool, less paint. Just my opinion, of course. It would probably be cool to have someone go after the swirls with a rotary one time, but do you know anyone you trust? I don`t. (I`m not speaking of the people on this board, of course).

Post Thanks / Like
    RT

If you went threw 3 levels of SMR with the PC then your right its time for a rotary with a wool cutting pad. I did a Camry much like that last Saturday and I had to take the rotary to it. I clayed the car then went for the wool pad and light cut 3M compound then polish with the PC orange pad, and finished with Poorboys polish/ carnuba. The finish was about 90% swril free pic attached
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t have a rotary, but now have a good excuse for one! I`m a little apprehensive about using one, though. PCs are easy. I would need some direction or instruction on how to properly use the rotary. Does anyone have any good links for this kind of stuff?

Someone mentioned getting an old hood or trunk lid from the junkyard to practice on. Maybe that`s what I`ll if I end up with a rotary.
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Beemerboy
    RT

If you went threw 3 levels of SMR with the PC then your right its time for a rotary with a wool cutting pad. I did a Camry much like that last Saturday and I had to take the rotary to it. I clayed the car then went for the wool pad and light cut 3M compound then polish with the PC orange pad, and finished with Poorboys polish/ carnuba. The finish was about 90% swril free pic attached
    Wool cutting pad is way to agressive for swirls like that try some DACP with a cutting pad and then follow with a polshing pad. Then Swirl Free Polish with a Finishing pad and you should be set.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Fr0zen

Wool cutting pad is way to agressive for swirls like that try some DACP with a cutting pad and then follow with a polshing pad. Then Swirl Free Polish with a Finishing pad and you should be set.
    If PB SSR3 didn`t get the swirls no way in the world is DACP with a foam pad going to do it. I`ve used plenty of DACP (still do) and 5-6 different brands/grades of foam with rotary and PC D.A. and I can say without hesitation that if SSR3 then SSR2 doesn`t do it, DACP won`t touch it.

ACE has made a very good point. Check out this thread
    http://www.detailcity.com/showthread...highlight=fill

Sometimes you have to know where to draw the line. Lambswool can be a god send in the right hands. I`ve had mixed success. Took care of some really nasty paint problems but also managed to induce a few new ones on my very own truck. Suffice is to say, the lambswool pads are stashed away reserved only as a last resort.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Those swirls dont looks very deep I had similar swirls and did a couple rounds of Menzerna IP and FP and got them off pretty good on bigger stuff I use DACP or Menzerna Fast Cut Aka Powergloss.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The pics don`t really show how bad the swirls are. They are hideous in person (looking at them with the sun). I used the Menzerna IP and FP last week on this car. Not much improvement. I went over some areas of the finish twice with it as well as with the SSR line. I`d guess one of you more experienced folks could do better, but I`m at a loss. My next step would be to go to a rotary vice PC, but I have 0 experience with a rotary. It`ll stay as is for now. Out of direct sunlight it looks great. The car is not local(relative), so I will not have another chance at it for some time.
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    the PC can remove a fair amount of swirls also It just takes alot of pressing down and a couple passes with the right compound maybe try 3-4 passes with SSR3 and then go on with the rest of the stuff and see how it is then.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Thread Information