Post Thanks / Like

Dewalt Rotary 849

Hey Guys,

I just went and jumped in and bought a new Dewalt rotary 849...& also bought the 3m white compound pad and the 3m black polishing pad.:jump

Is this a good rotary & is it fairly easy to grasp how to use one of these bad boys.

How long will it take me to learn how to use it?

What speed do I need to start out with?

Are there any pointers or suggestions you guys can give me so I can learn fairly easily?:jump
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ

Post Thanks / Like
    good purchase, ive had the same one for years, after replacing a couple things(cord once, brushes once). very reliable unit. practice makes perfect. practice on junk cars. proffessional tattoo artists learn how to tattoo on chickens. learn how for you can go with a product/pad/pressure ect. read,whatch. there is a lot to it, there are lots of sites to help also.

Post Thanks / Like
    meguiers.com...look on the homepage, your ticket is right there, a video for $10 regarding polishing with a rotary. i am going to put that on my list. whoops, its pac.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Stop by a local body shop and ask if they will give you a panel they took off of a car to practice on. It should be free this way. It might be bent or something but you can still practice on it. Or, go to the local junk yard and buy a hood off a late model car. If you are going to be mostly buffing clear coat buy something that has been clearcoated. Practice is the best way to learn the feel of it ... definitely watch the video or go to a local body shop and see if they will let you spend some time with the guy who buffs their cars.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    Stop by a local mechanic shop, they usuaully have 4-10 junkers in their yards and will let you practice on them. And the great thing is they are usually weather beaten and heavily oxidized... So with a hood, you could have great before and after shots.

Edit: Also when customers see you reviving these hunk of junks, they tend to be curious and interested. I picked up the bulk of clientele in this way. You may want to chose a higher end mechanic shop as well.
    Last edited by central; 04-06-2004 at 01:04 AM.

Thread Information