Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    I am biting my tongue ... or actually my fingers
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not sure it is fear as much as it is a comfort level to using the PC. I would agree that many of us fear the rotary due to the heat indroduction. The PC allows for a excellent finish without the worrries. I just did a 2002 Ford Focus painted Black, I used the PC and the results were surburb, with no swirls, nor maring and an absolute beatiful flawless finish. So much so that I recieved a $40 tip. I don`t see the rotary as a time saver as much as it is a potential paint destroyer. The PC is pretty fool proof and I don`t mind spending a couple extra minutes and an extra ounce of product to product effective results.

Sorry but I stand behind my PC for superior results. When clients tip, over and above orgininal costs, then that`s speaks for itself.
    The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    The rotary may be a better tool for the professional, but anyone that wonders if you can get good results with a PC random orbital should check out this thread.

http://www.detailcity.com/forums/sho...8070#post28070

Awesome results with a PC.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t say the rotary is a better tool ...
    It is a tool ... much like a table saw, a jig saw and a hand saw.
    A craftsman can achieve the same results with all of these tools but each tool can do certain jobs better than the other ... It is a lot more difficult to rip a board with a jig saw than a table saw ... but it can be done.
    A rotary can do certain things like remove defects quicker than a PC ...
    There are conditions and products that work better with the PC ... especially around ridges in the paint.
    Everything that can be done with a rotary or a PC can and has at one time been done by hand.
    Different products different types of paint.
    I think sometimes we try to say a tool or a product is the "best" when what we should be saying is, "this tool (product or pad or machine etc) is a tool I can use to achieve the results, under these specific conditions, that my customers and I are looking for."
    We are fortunate to have so many various tools and products available to us today so that all of us can keep our cars looking their best and have fun doing it.
    I will get off my soapbox now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely stated Kimwallace!!

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ACosmetologist
    Nicely stated Kimwallace!!
    I concur!
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone here use the Cyclo polisher? The one with the dual r/o 4" pads. I have one and it works great. Any comments?

Post Thanks / Like
    WAZ UP DC I LOVE MY HIGH SPEED BABY and i have both. The pc i use to wax and polish new cars any thing else BAM THE HIGH SPEED!!! VDUBBY I have the cyclo its good for long runs and flat sufaces but not for anything rounded it and it`s hard 2 work it . Its a paper weight right now lol and it does that skilles to use a high speed so becareful C-ya

Post Thanks / Like
    Mechanics use Snap On not Craftsman. Same goes for the PC. Cheapo orbitals will not do the job. The PC will and without damage.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well this thread is really getting heated up !! I would like to add some comments comming from someone who actually manufactures pads for both machines (PC and Rotary). I believe that you cannot achieve the same results with a PC than with the rotary. That is not to say the pc does not produce nice results. However the rotary action and the heat that it creates is what truly produces shine, blends scratches by re-gelling the paint, breaks down the new generation of compounds and polishes that are made to dissapate with heat and friction, quickly,efficiently , and totally removes wet sand marks, and levels the painted surface. The pc simply does not. The pc is fine for applying wax and glaze and removing it without and fear of creating swirl marks, or burning the paint because it creates almost no heat. No matter how long you leave the PC also known as a DA (or dual action) it will not burn, but it will also not level paint. Thefitter`s comments above that the PC is a sanding machine are totally true. That machine is made to be an orbital sander not a polishing machine. It has found a nice nitch as a fool proof waxing machine that makes applying and removing wax much less a manual effort, but it does not take the place of a true rotary high speed buffer in the hands of a skilled detailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Edge, thanks for the informative post.

Post Thanks / Like
    So that’s what it’s called…”blends scratches by re-gelling the paint”... thanks The Edge. I knew that this was what was happening but I did not know the proper terminology.

You know I’m really disappointed that no one commented on my “baby RO” idea.

Am I really the only one that hates to do all that fine handwork on the narrow sections of the body panels? It just kills my carpel tunnel.

Peace:cool

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to question some of the comments made by "The Edge"
    1. If the PC has no cutting qualities as indicated by the comments that the PC cannot remove wet sand marks or level the paint, then why are there so many different pads made for the PC that call themselves "Cutting Pads, Polishing Pads, Finishing Pads" or whatever name you want to apply to them. Are we to then assume that we should only use one pad?
    2. I have used a rotary for many years on all types of paint and what I have found is that when the paint becomes hot enough to "regell" that is when the burn marks and imperfections are caused in the paint.
    3. There are many things a PC will not do but I have personally used it to completely remove wet sanding marks. It was definitely not as fast a process as using my rotary, however do to the location on the car it was safer that the rotary and much quicker than rubbing the marks out by hand. (which I have done many times.
    4. I personally would not polish my car on a monthly basis with a rotary because of all the reasons that make it such a good tool (paint leveling or removal in a very fast, efficient manner) for its intended purpose. The car would probably be without paint in a few areas. I will however use the PC on a regular basis because it removes minimal paint and keeps the finish looking good.
    5. For me It comes down to this ... The PC makes easier work of most of the fine detail work I used to do by hand and it is a companion tool to the rotary for the dangerous areas.
    This is just one persons opinion (mine) and thankfully we can all have one!

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: scroll down

Originally posted by detaled by hans
    Charles, on that thread scroll down to what Anthony O. said about that Benz !!!!!!
    Hans:
    I did read that and because of Mr Orosco`s comments, I made another post about checking the results of Bad`s work some time later. It seems that what the Benz looks like in a month should tell us something.

Charles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information