Post Thanks / Like

Just Purchased Porter Cable 7424..but..

Ok..I just used 3M compound and now finished used the 3M SMR 5996 for dark colours with the Porter Cable unit I just bought.
    I used the foam pad it came with..BUT..either I really am doing it wrong..or it`s the previous compund 3M #5983 that I used that didn`t do a good job.
    I still see the swirls..I mean the black paint on this 1991 LX 5.0 is really shiney..and it`s clear and to the unknown eye looks amazing--But I still see lots of minor scratches and swirls that I thought would go away with these two products used together??
    What did I avoid? What did I do wrong?

I`m prepping the suirface for the Zaino kit.
    All advice and help greatly appreciated guys...Thanks..
    I ll post pics of teh job as soon as I can..
    The gas pedal always listens..
    The brake pedal doesn`t...
    Drive`em safe.

Boss_429
    You might need something a little more aggressive than the 3M prior to the 3M. Something like Meguiar`s DACP, or Poorboys SSR1 or SSR2. Or, you might just need a more aggressive pad than the one that comes with the buffer. The Meguiar`s maron pad might just do the trick. You`ll need a hook & latch backing plate to use it. While your at it, you might want to invest in a couple of other pads, like the polishing, and finishing pads. The pad that comes with the PC is OK, but good pads will work better, and you need a selection to really make that PC work to it`s fullest potential.

Hope this helps.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I don`t care for the 3M Swirl Remover. The two times I used it I found it streaked and was difficult to buff off. Perhaps I wasn`t working it properly, that`s very likely, but the 3M SMR is known to leave behind a lot of petroleum distillates. If you`re using the Z process, yuo need to be sure you remove all the left over residue.

Are you using 3M Super Duty Compound or PI-II Rubbing COmpound or the new PI-III compound? I do like the 3M PI-II Compound. I`ve used it with the PC and Meg`s maroon foam pads (cutting pad) as well as lake country variable contact foam pads and have had very good results with it. In fact, the 3M PI-II compound and the Megs maroon pad cleard up a few trouble spots that were introduced with a rotary and lambswool pad (guess by who ). You`ve got to really work the 3M compound in fully. THe PC will take longer than a rotary so be sure to work it until almost totally dry while reducing pressure to nothing more than the weight of the pc towards the end. Follow up the 3M with something like Poorboy`s SSR1, 3M PI-III Machine Glaze or Meg`s Speed Glaze and you should have a great finish.

As far as compounds are concerned the ones I use are the 3M PI-II and Poorboys SSR3. the PI-II is a bit lighter than the SSR3 but if you need the oomph to do the job and do it well, SSR3 has earned a spot in my kit.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok.I see what you guys are saying.. I`m new at this level of polishing ..so sorry for the many questions I may tend to ask..

Just a quick ? on P.C.
    I can use different pads I know..But can I use different backing plates like you guys mentioned??
    I`m not familiar with the the hook it thing and all that stuff...
    Can I use the 3M pads line and different pads they have..Do they have to be 6" as is the P.C. or can they be bigger pads on a smaller backing plate?

I believe the 3M compound I was using..(That buddy gave me was 3M PI-II
    Rubbing Compound).
    I m not really sure..i actually passdd by there today and asked and he told me he gave me 3M #5983..(that was the gallon size number on the label). I believe I saw `PI-II` written on it..I can always check tomorrow again..

So..I am just getting familiar with the 3M compounds and polishers and all...and I`m just scratching the surface on understanding the pads..foam and wool..I don`t think I will need to go far as wool though...I was told that they are much more aggressive than foam and therefore, a rotary machine is more likely needed. I`m not that comfortable with that tool yet.

Thanks again for your help fellas..
    I really appreciate it..
    Drive`em safe.

Boss_429
    Tarios,

The hook & latch backing plate is just a plate that allows the velcro pads to attach. I have a 5" backing plate on mine with the Meguiar`s 6 1/2" pads. A lot of guys use the 6" backing plate with those same pads. I know some of the guys here have experimented with using larger pads on the small backing plates, so, they might be able to add some input.

You are correct on the wool.............. leave those for a rotary!

Post Thanks / Like
    Read this - a lot of your questions will be answered.

Using the PC

Check this out too!

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use some 7.5" foam pads with the PC and 6" velcro backing plate. Works very well and allows you to cover a bit more surface area in less time. If you want to use pads larger than 6.5" you probably should use a 6" backing plate.

I checked the PN you gave us and it seems that is the PI-II Rubbing Compound but in a paste form rather than liquid. The one I use is the 05974....PI-II Rubbing Compound LIQUID. I haven`t used a paste form compond since I was a teenager. How did you get it onto the foam pad? Did you use a putty knife or something? Just my opinion but using pastes with the PC and foam pads is a hassle. Spend a few bucks and try the 05973 (3M PI-II Rubbing Compound Liquid in 32 oz size) or Poorboys SSR3 liquid compound. They aren`t very expensive (maybe about $15.00) and both work well with the PC. The SSR3 creates less dust than the 3M PI-II.

At some point you have to make the decision whether to continue to chase the remaining imperfections and abrade more and more paint or just be content with filling and masking whatever problem remains. I`ve seen imperfections that wouldn`t come out completely even when a rotary and compound was used....they were just too deep into the clear and trying to bring it down to the level of the marring would have taken way too much film off. Still, with the PC the amount of clear you remove will be much much less than with a rotary so you shold be OK for a while. Any chance your body shop pal can do you a favor hit one small spot, maybe the worst spot, with his rotary and the 3M? If that doesn`t do it you maybe chasing something you just can`t get without wet sanding.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

In Exile
    Post Thanks / Like

Question 3 1/2" wool pad

Originally posted by ACE

Check this out too!
    Great Link!

Has anyone ever used those 3 1/2" wool pads with the PC? Any comments on the procedure they reccomend for scratch and swirl removal with a PC? How about the glass polishing kit? I was thinking of trying some DACP with a purple pad on windows. Bad idea, good idea?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NattyBumppo

I checked the PN you gave us and it seems that is the PI-II Rubbing Compound but in a paste form rather than liquid. The one I use is the 05974....PI-II Rubbing Compound LIQUID. I haven`t used a paste form compond since I was a teenager. How did you get it onto the foam pad? Did you use a putty knife or something? Just my opinion but using pastes with the PC and foam pads is a hassle. Spend a few bucks and try the 05973 (3M PI-II Rubbing Compound Liquid in 32 oz size) or Poorboys SSR3 liquid compound. They aren`t very expensive (maybe about $15.00) and both work well with the PC. The SSR3 creates less dust than the 3M PI-II.

Natty
    Yes..It was a liquid I used.Not A Paste.
    . I too checked the PN number and also noticed it said PASTE.. I probably mixed up a number as I was writing it down..But I believe it was the softest Rubbing Compound he gave me.--
    That buddy of mine at the shop I mean..
    But Thanks for your tip..I know what U mean about only being able to do so much...
    I mean the car does look awesome..Its nust me that I can norice certain things as such and zi so I question teh product to some point..
    But we`re all happy here..I love experimenting though..so Thats a good sign for motivation to perfection

Thaks for the replies an dthat GRAT link above to..
    Greatly app. your help up here..

Pics will soon be posted...
    Drive`em safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ACE

Using the PC

Check this out too!
    Thanks ACE..
    I had come across the second link..but the first one is really good..

Thumbs up!
    Drive`em safe.

Thread Information