Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best paint protectant for long lasting easy to clean finish

In two days I am picking up my new 2004 black Infinity FX. I just sold back my lemon 350Z to Nissan, and purchased the FX. I already have an appointment to have tint installed on the two front windows and Paint Protection film on the front end and leading edges. I live in Tulsa Oklahoma, and we have a tremendous amount of salt and sand on the road that never gets cleaned up, thus resulting in ruination of everyone`s front bumpers, windows, mirrors, etc. After the Z`s front looked like Swiss cheese, I swore I would get the clear bra this time.

My question is this: is there a consensus best choice product for maintaining a long lasting protectant finish that is extremely easy to clean? I would love to have a great gloss, but I am most interested in having a finish where dirt can be washed off almost without soap and there is very minimal water spotting, dust, etc. My car is black, and I want to minimize my car care, although I take very good care of my vehicles. I have used several in the past, Zaino, Blackfire and before that, a lot of the store bought brands. I found that even with Zaino and Blackfire, which last a long time IMO, dirt seems to cling to them and if you want it clean, you have to wash by hand. I want to be able to hand wash the vehicle about once every 2-3 months and just run it through the hand-spray car wash once a week or so. With a wife, two kids, a dog, a very busy law practice and too many hobbies, I just don`t have time to spend even 30 minutes to an hour every weekend washing the car.

Solely from web pages, I have been considering Finish First, Liquid Glass and 5 Star Shine. I don`t really know anything about any of these other than the claims. I am hopeful that all of you very knowledgeable folks can help me get the best product for my situation. Price is probably the least important factor. Time is money.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Zaino is about the slickest stuff around, although 4 Star (UPP) may be equal or possibly slicker. Once you get into that 2nd coat, the finish is just pure teflon. I would give it a try, although if the climate is really murder, I would go with Zaino Z5 on a black car. I think Z is pretty much the undisputed durability king. I`m also not sure that anything going is going to let you just spray off the dirt with a hose. No offense, but I can`t understand why anyone who hates maintaining a vehicle would go with a black car. I love working on my cars and I wouldn`t buy black. They`re just freakin` murder to keep up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t hate maintaining it, I just don`t want to be a slave to it if I can help it. You have to understand how obsessive compulsive I am to full appreciate. I got black because I have never had it, always wanted it, and I just decided it was time, regardless of how hard it is too take care of. My Z was brickyard, which is a very dark red (looks black at night and chocolate brown in the day), so I have a good idea of how difficult black will be to keep clean. I had a white car previously and white has its own problems. White doesn`t show dust and water spots as bad but shows all road dirt and tar, etc. The main thing with dark colors seems to be making sure to dry properly. I guess I am really looking for a paint sealant or something more than just a synthetic polish/protectant. Isn`t liquid glass or some of those similar products really a sealant rather than a protectant?

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ACE
    I think Z is pretty much the undisputed durability king.
    :yeah

You are looking for Zaino, adding a couple coats in Fall will protect it best over winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used Liquid Glass (LG) and always loved it and found it to have excellent durability. I am about to try the Klasse twins, and from what I hear about Klasse Sealant Glaze, I am expecting similar layerability, protection and durability, possibly coupled with improved shine (though that`s hard to imagine, because LG is excellent). Klasse seems to be more widely-respected and used by those on the auto detailing forums I frequent, so it might be what you`re looking for.

With any good sealant, layers seem to be the key to top protection and appearance. And layering requires curing time of between twenty-four (24) hours and a week between coats. Therefore, an initial time investment totaling at least several hours is likely to be necessary for any product that might provide what you are looking for.

With regard to your intended weekly use of "hand spray car wash(es)," I would absolutely recommend that you instead purchase some Protect-All Quick & Easy Wash (QEW). The harsher chemicals in the commercial wash bays will be tougher on the durability of your sealant. I presume you also know that use of the scrub-brushes is completely proscribed, and that you will never achieve a complete cleaning with only the high pressure spray. The use of QEW will actually take you far less time, and be much gentler on your sealant, than bringing your own wash mitt to the self-serve and trying to do a proper wash.

For more information on the use of QEW, visit this link . You can purchase it online at this link . It is a product used by several highly-respected professional and expert detailers in online discussion forums.

Good luck with your new car!
    Last edited by ZJ JIM 96; 06-02-2004 at 06:45 PM.

Chadwick's Auto Detailing membim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    May I also suggest Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe.

Good luck doing what you want to do with a black vehicle. It`s impossible to do if you drive it everyday. This is from someone who`s has NEVER owed anything but a black car.

You stated that it was time for you to get black. Not trying to sound rude, but it`s NOT time to get black if you plan on hand washing every 2-3 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing Ive ever used last as long as Zaino, in fact, nothing even comes close. However, if you want something easy to maintain, give Menzerna FMJ a try. I found the surface to be even slicker than Zaino and dirt washes off the car very easily. Its not a 1 step product, but the extra time you spend polishing will save you time when you wash the car.
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring - Super Black - 6MT
    "Most legit people I know, they`d go a hundred miles out of their way not to make eye contact with me" - Tony Soprano

Post Thanks / Like
    I found that Zaino lasted a long time and shined beautifully, but didn`t really make washing any easier. It would create this film substance that seemed hard to get off. And, forget air drying if you don`t have time to towel dry because the film and water beading would create water spots everywhere. I don`t have a problem hand washing the car frequently, there are just times mid-week or when you are out of town over the weekend when you want to knock the dirt and dust off on the way to work, let it dry at 70 mph on the expressway and have a semi-clean car until you can give it a thorough wash later. I thought there might be a product out there that would make this dream a reality. I thought maybe some of the "paint sealant" advertised brands might come close. It doesn`t seem like there is really a consensus beyond the expected "Zaino heads" who dig the great shine and longevity. Are Liquid Glass, 5 Star, etc. really not much different from Zaino, etc. I was under the impression that some of these sealants would actually last for several years and could not easily be stripped from the surface. Maybe I`ll try Menzerna, Liquid Glass, Klasse or one of the others suggested. The problem of course is the lack of consensus, so what do I buy if I don`t buy them all? I have Zaino and Blackfire at home. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, with regard to the comments about hand washing being required, my desire to minimize it is two fold. First, I would rather not have to touch every inch of the car every week if I can help it- simply laziness if you want to call it that. Second, I have found over the years that the more I wash a car by hand, the more swirl marks and scratches it gets. My wife`s vehicles, which rarely get hand washes (and if they do it is by me), have very minimal swirls and scratches. My cars, which are always cleaner, shinier, etc., always have more swirls and scratches with time, and I believe that is because of all of the handwashing, polishing and protecting. Just looking for a happy medium somewhere. Thanks again.

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the best ANYONE here will admit a product lasting is 6-8 months TOPS (Zaino or Klasse).
    The best you can do is keep some type of wax/sealant on it to keep the dirt from really sticking. There is no super wax that keeps dirt off (yet).
    FYI again I`d just stick with Z when durability is the #1 concern. I`ve heard FMJ doesn`t last more than 2 months too, yrmv...
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Sooooie
    Are Liquid Glass, 5 Star, etc. really not much different from Zaino, etc. I was under the impression that some of these sealants would actually last for several years and could not easily be stripped from the surface.
    I know where you got this from. The LG can actually has the following printed on the side:
    " WARRANTY Liquid Glass carries a life-time warranty that the vehicle will resist the elements and unusual atmospheric and road hazards such as dirt, dust, oil, grease, stains, etc., with a minimum of an initial 2 coats of Liquid Glass properly applied and with periodic re-applications. However, the more coats applied, the deeper, richer and better protected the vehicle becomes." (emphases in the original)

The LG label also insinuates that it is a permanent application by stating:
    " For touch-up or repainting, Liquid Glass may be removed by first washing with a strong solution of quality Car Wash Detergent, then using 00 steel wool with mineral spirits or Varsol."(emphasis in the original)

I have read one or two people`s posts where their body shop guys hated both LG and Klasse, because of the difficulty to prep for painting. I, personally, will never know if a product lasts that long, because I can`t possibly go a lifetime, a year, or even a month without putting another coat of something on!

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    FYI ...there are two different threads on Autopia about EX still beading since around Thanksgiving, one by TomP and the other by Scottwax....I also believe that EX-P will last slightly longer than EX due to the absence of Carnauba.

ps TomP`s is a 24/7 outdoor kept vehicle
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a link to these threads?

Thats amazing still beading after thanksgiving application and outside 24/7.....that will give "Z" a run for its money!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!
    2002 Chevy Silverado Z71
    Pewter Metallic in color

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks PoorBoy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information