Thread: Tipping

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Tipping

I very seldom get tipped. That`s fine. I like to think I do great work, at a fair price. Satisfaction Guaranteed, no questions, etc.

So, I just finished up three vehicles for a family (2nd time around). $600 Bill. He says, "Nice work.", and gives me $720 in cash! That`s 20%!

This from a guy who says, "We treat our cars like Bic pens..."

Some days are better than others!

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, Thats pretty incredible you must of done a really good job.. keep it up!
    DISTINGUISHED DETAILING

Work and hope, but don`t hope more than you work!

I'm back YIPEE Refreshed! The Chee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

wow, as Granite said, you must have done one mighty fine job, any pics hehe. I think a digicam should be a must for every pro detailer here :crazy :badabum
    A man has got to recognize his limitations, and then learn how to adapt within those confines. Then go out and conquer.

Post Thanks / Like
    It has depended on th customer but I get a 10 spot here and there for my details.

I think that allot of people think that car deatiling is expensive and kind of a waste of cash. They know its the right thing to do but feel like its a waste, other in your case don`t

Great Job!!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    this is how i would look at the situation to tip (me being a customer).....

if i would go to a carwash place that has 2 or 3 different guys detailing cars i would definetly tip the guy who did mine 20%. why? because the actual payment will go mostly to the business he is working for, and the guy deserves more.

if i would hire a guy who ran his own detailing business (one man show) i would tip 5-10%. why? he is already making all the profit from the job and that 5-10% i gave him would probably cover his product cost (which he already includes in the price he gave me.)
    Justin
    Now Driving: 1998 Black 4Runner
    Have a nice day

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on the numerous clients ive had in Palm Beach/south florida...i`d say 95% have tipped me (some more than others). Based on the priccing of the particularpackage they bought, i`d say the avg. person tips 12-20%, with the majority falling somewhere in between at 15%.

Having done a triple detail for this family, im sure the results were astounding (not to mention you probably also built solid rapport / positive image with the client), a 20% tip on a $600 bill is very generous!

Congrats and great job.

Do not forget to show your appreciation to this (an all clients, both who tip and who dont), and be sure to FOLLOW UP with this person too....repeat business is essential.

-Mike

Owner - Mike`s Car Wash & Detail

A New Standard of Excellence.

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

I need more sugar!!!!!! KleanFreak's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have had more customers give me at least 20-40$ more than my asking price.

And the thing I love most is the look on a customers face when i drop their car off thats what motivates me
    picture perfect auto detailing
    "we put the cherry back in your car"
    detailingisthegame@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I always tip 20% - having been a busboy and waiter in highschool - I learned a long time ago tip well
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    I generally refuse cash tips. I don`t know why but I do. I do accept it when the customer writes a check for more than the job price.
    Scott
    Owner
    Gentle Touch Mobile Auto Detailing
    New Orleans

Post Thanks / Like
    Gentletouch: May i ask why you refuse tips, and even more strangely cash tips? I was pondering your response for some time, and i still cant find an explanable and justifyable answer.

Furtheremore, dealing in cash (especially if your client offers to pay in cash) is the most assured, safe and logical way to do business. Checks can bounce, accounts can be fraudulent, and it takes time for checks to clear, basically when comparing checks to cash, cash is just a more direct and efficient way to conduct a business.

I dont mean to attack your way of business, or your style in any way....but your post simply escapes me.

Another question to you is this: If a client offers to pay in cash OR check, i assume (based on healthy business sense) that you take cash correct?

Anyhow, i wish you the best
    -Mike

Owner - Mike`s Car Wash & Detail

A New Standard of Excellence.

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok...I am well aware that cash is a better way to go. I was basically saying that when a customer writes me a check and then goes in their wallet and pulls out 5 bucks I generally graciously refuse it. Whenever a customer asks who to make the check out to I, along with most other people, say cash. Also if I do a job for $120 and they write a check for $130 or $140, I don`t tell them to go inside and write another check minus the extra money. That is what I was basically saying. Sorry my post escaped you.
    Scott
    Owner
    Gentle Touch Mobile Auto Detailing
    New Orleans

Go Deep!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kash is King!
    Did a car yesterday, got a 10 spot for a tip. Makes me feel good, like I did something right!

:dj

Thread Information