Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Do I really *need* other polishes besides PB`s?

I have ssr 1,2,3 (and the PB`s PP) already and have experimented with them some. I have not polished much of anything with my PC except my hood but the ssr`s seem to work just fine. I plan to get 2.5 too when it comes out. I at least like the *idea* of the ssr`s being able to be used in the sun, etc makes them theoretically more flexible process wise than other things and like I said they worked great, even on my first ever PC tryout.

I think I went overboard on my last PAC order, I got Menzerna IP, FP and DACP too.

I guess my question is, for those of you that JUST use the ssr`s, do you find the need to try/have other polish brands? Are the ssr`s really all you fnd you need? They all should pretty much do the same thing I would think.
    I`ve been flirting with the idea of returning maybe the Menzerna (don`t look Dwayne:wait ) or selling them maybe. I`m just not sure why I`d need multiple brands of basically the same type of polish.
    If it matters, I plan to polish 10-20 different cars this year.
    TIA.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve -

Ultimately you only *need* what you use. If you are satisfied w/the SSR line then stick with it. I believe that the SSR line, especially with SSR2.5 being added, should be able to handle anything you go up against. That said, of course everyone likes to try different products especially when posts of great results are seen. It all comes down to what fits your budget though. I haven`t got around to setting a budget for my car care products just yet :lol
    Last edited by nthngd2say; 04-02-2004 at 11:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess the only other consideration I can think of would be what products give the best results with the different types of vehicles. There definately could be an argument for certain products on dark cars vs light cars, cars with clear coat, cars with only single stage paint jobs, etc. Again depending on your budget I think you just need to find what products give you the results you are looking to achieve.

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I might just need to do more cars. I have no faith I could see a difference in a properly prepped SSR car vs a Menz twins car, etc. at least at this point.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the biggest things I have learned is that the prep is the key to the final look. While it takes time to distinguish the difference in looks between different products, it is mostly subjective. I have found products that achieve the results that I am looking for but I do try other products too. What works best for me may not be the choice of others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even though I don`t need DACP, I use it on cars other than my own. It`s a good product but I like Einszett and SSR products better.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Poorboy`s SSR line are really good prep products. They are easy to apply and remove.

I had recently helped out a buddy of mine who also owns a white Toyota 4Runner (daily driver). All he did was a weekly wash using wash & wax car shampoo. But over time, of course without polishing his paint it became oxidized and he had given up all hopes of revitalizing the paint finish on his 4Runner. So he was seriously thinking about having it repainted. And that is where I stepped in with a PB products, PC, some cutting and polishing pads.

I wish I had taken before pics of his 4Runner (98-99? model)

First, we took out the PB SSR2 and removed the oxidation and swirls with the PC and yellow pad

Second, used PB Professional Polish to bring back the gloss with the PC and white pad

Third, used PB EX-P to seal and lock it all in by hand with a foam applicator pad

Fourth, used PB Natty`s Paste Wax (Collector`s Tin) again by hand with a foam applicator pad

Fifth, used PB Bold & Bright to dress his tires

And after 4 hours later...I had him converted over to Poorboy`s

He said, his paint has never looked that great. And it looked like new. He will be purchasing the PB products, picking up a PC and returning the $30 orbital polisher he picked up at the NEX, and also picking up some PC pads.

Here are a few of pics of his 4Runner after we were done. Of course I had him do some of the work.

And yes, the white 4Runner in the background is mine. Isn`t she a beauty.

I`m sorry but I had to leave so didn`t have time to do the wheel wells.
    Last edited by PakShak; 04-02-2004 at 02:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

pic #1

pic #1
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

pic #2

pic #2

Post Thanks / Like

pic #3

pic #3

Post Thanks / Like
    Ranney...

Lookin` good as usual!!!

-Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! awesome reflection on white and it`s hard to get !
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Ranney, nice job!

Post Thanks / Like
    that was all done with poorboys stuff? wow... one question tho, no ssr1 was needed? also, does the PB polish take the place of ssr1? thanks
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi zesty-man,

Yes, the 4Runner was done all with PB`s stuff. We could have followed-up with SSR1 but felt that after the SSR2 the paint look really good so we skip SSR1. We wanted to bring back a little more gloss on the paint so we went ahead and used PB PP. It came out great! So we sealed it all in with PB EX-P and then PB Natty`s Paste Wax.

With Aloha,
    Ranney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information