Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NattyBumppo

Now my .02 on the original question. What your employee did was certainly wrong and the fact he attempted to hide it from you makes it even worse. Still, according to a trade rag I read one of the largest and most common problems in the industry is hiring and RETAINING qualified and reliable help. If your man meets those two criteria you`d almost be biting off your nose to spite your face by firing him. Recruiting a new person then training then developing a level of trust with that person will take time and effort and most likely will result in lost revenue in that time is money.

Based on the minimal history you`ve provided about this person I`d be inclined to give him a second chance. I would make it crystal clear what happened is totally inexcusible and inform him, in writing, that he is on some sort of job probation for 3 months. During this period tardiness, unexcused abscence or extracurricular activities can result in immediate dismissal. I would certainly ask for his key to the shop.
    I think Natty has the right idea. Minimizing turnover is a big responsibility of a good manager. If he has a good record prior to this episode and the not calling in, a stern, private talk that explains what problems this creates for you and a probationary period sounds like excellent advice. It gives him some part in determining whether he keeps the job or not.

The other part of the equation you may want to consider is your own "manager image." Try to honestly assess whether you lean towards being a softie or a hard-ass and do a little "course correction" so that when it gets around to the other employees what happened, you can either be "A nice guy who knows when to draw the line" or else "A Stern guy who does have a heart."

-Melanie

South Atlanta Details AtlantaBoy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very Well said On The Spot and 95YJWRANGLER.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure he can`t come back at you for firing flasly....I mean you should have rules in writing and should of sign`d something....cover you ....self..
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Make the employee bring a note from the doctor`s office stating his reason for being sick. Make him take a drug test. If he fails either of these - fire him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for taking long to reply, well here is the situation, I just opened a car performance and accessory shop beginning of July, I decided we would detail and clean cars to ring some extra money to pay the bills. This emplyee is one of those type of people who think they run everything, even though I do. I knew his last employer, and he told me that he was happy when this guy left, and that he didn`t have to fire him. My employee is kinda shady, and really 2 faced. Talks nice about someone one minute, then is all buddy-buddy with them. It`s almost as if he had the intentions to take over the shop when he came in. He is a real good guy though, goes to church all of the time, really religous, but it`s almost as if he is putting on a show. I cacth him in lies quite often, he says he has schholl all week long and has to leave at 4, well a coupl eo fdays down the line, he starts complaining about having to goto scholl 3nights out of the week, I don`t say anything, just let it go. I oass him in town while he`s supposed to be at school, he doesn`t realise it, I call him, and he says he`s about to walk into class an hour away. So I have a big trust issue with him. He is not classified as an employee, but a sub-contracter, and I know it is illegal to withold pay, but I`m not gonna let him work on a car if e knows I`m gonna fire him or not pay him, it`s just a disater waiting ot happen. So basically I`m just gonna cut the losses, tell him to get his stuff, and hope he doesn`t go around bad-mouthing our shop.

J.D.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had a situation like yours in the past and had to fire the employee. I have had many employees lots of high school kids and have had lots of very good kids. Keep your cool and think clearly. Good luck

Perpetual Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t worry about him badmouthing the shop. The people he badmouths to will know who he is and what he is like, and will consider the source. And if they don`t then they weren`t worth bothering with anyhow.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Being that you didn`t handle the situation immediatly, (nothing wrong with that for this situation) you will need to approach the situation differenlty. Kinda like yelling at the dog for pooping on the carpet 7 days after the fact. He may end up calling a lawyer (far fetched, but it could happen) and sue you for wrongful termination. (being that he was able to work since the incident.)

Does/did this person bad mouth his previous employer?
    Talk bad about his previous company?

If so, put aside your anger and let him go easily! Make it come across as "cutting costs" If he is the "low man" on the totem pole, this should be easy. If not, make it known that you can no-longer afford to pay his salary. He can either agree to take a pay cut, or leave on his own....

Maybe cut his hours back a little at a time and force him to leave due to no work.

There are many ways to cut him loose. How you do it may impact whether he bad mouths your company.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just thought of this.

Maybe you need to put up a sign for your employees stating something like:

"USE OF THIS PREMISIS, PRODUCTS AND/OR CHEMICALS
    FOR PERSONAL VEHICLES IS PROHIBITED UNLESS YOU HAVE
    WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM MANAGEMENT."

You could attach a copy of this statement to the employee paychecks. Have them sign/initial the notice and return it to management. Keep this copy in the employees file. (May want to have a copy of each one in your safe) I did this same type of thing when I managed a video store and didn`t make a copy. I went to terminate an employee who violated the policy. After they violated the policy, he gained access to his employee file and removed it. I had NO proof that he was aware of the new policy! Couldn`t terminate (used another reason to terminate the employee)

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys ahve to deal with that reasoning stuff?

In Oklahoma they do not have to give a reason to fire you, your gone, thats that.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    We only reason with those "smaller" violations......for the REAL violations, we just call some local "friends" to "take care of them"

Post Thanks / Like
    Man! how many posts do you need to no longer be "new in town"?

Post Thanks / Like
    OUCH!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information