Death to white cars!
    Post Thanks / Like

abrasive rankings of some compounds...

Hello all -

OK, I am planning on tackling my swirl marks / light scratches on my black Monte SS with a rotary, such as the Makita 9227C. I have compiled a list of compounds that, from reading posts on here and what I`ve read, will take them out, but don`t really know the subtle differences or abrasive rankings of them. Can anyone that knows post a follow up to this to help me on my way?

Also, I am assuming, for safety purposes, to use a polishing pad with any of these at a middle of the dial speed, since it will still get 90% of the swirls/light scratches out relatively safely, right?

The list:

Megs #9
    3M PI - II compound
    3M PI - III compound
    3M FI - II machine polish

Any help on what the differences are, and the order of abrasiveness? I would like to ELIMINATE the problems, not fill them in, so any of them that may be more filler than fix, let me know that too.

Oh, and for the record, I plan on following this up with AIO, UPP and P21S. Thanks!!

Brian
    "The 83-88 Monte SS - they just don`t make `em like that anymore...."

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man you are brave! First time with a rotary, using it on your car with a black finish? I wouldn`t go that route myself. I think the PC D.A., a foam cutting pad and PI-II would be pretty good at getting out some problem spots.

Out of those products you listed I`ve only used the 3M PI-II and Megs #9. Obviously, the Megs #9 is the lightweight of those two.

I`m pretty sure the 3M PI-III is very similiar to the PI-II but may be a bit ore agressive than the PI-II and definetly more agressive than the FI-II.

Please be careful, I would even say re-consider your plan to use a rotary if you aren`t familiar with one. Especially on a black finish!

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Natty, let him go!! the worst thing that can happen is a new paint job on the car I`m no example, though.

87, have you also read a lot about how to use the rotary? To keep away from trim, never stop it in one place, not going over 1200RPM while learning, and all?

If your carefull you`ll have fun and do the job, while the results can be great! :p
    Portuguese details detalhe.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, Natty, just saw it. You`re 2 years older than me. You must be wiser and more carefull (great age to be, not?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jgv
    Ok, Natty, just saw it. You`re 2 years older than me. You must be wiser and more carefull (great age to be, not?)
    I do believe that is the first time anyone has ever referred to me as wise! LOL Usually the adjectives used to describe me are not acceptable on a public forum.

JGV...you are just simply a natural. Wish I were as quick a learner as you.

Natty
    Natty

Death to white cars!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your concern and generally trying to steer me away from the rotary. I have not committed 100% to the rotary yet, so maybe I will try the PC first. I just thought that instead of buying the PC and then contracting upgrade fever and wanting to buy a rotary soon after, I would cut out the middle step and go right to it. But after some pondering, maybe it would behoove me to try out the PC first (you guys are scaring me when you start talking about a repaint! LOL). I am just concerned that the PC will not get the optimum results I am looking for. My goal is to get this thing as showroom as possible, that`s all, and I figured the rotary would yield the best results overall.

So, based on your feedback, the approximate abrasiveness ranking of my list of products, from most to least, would be:

PI-III
    PI-II
    FI-II
    Megs #9

Assuming I did get a PC to use these products with, which type of pad would you suggest for each?

Thanks again,
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    A PC will get you nearly as good as results as a rotary without any risk to your car, tho it takes a little longer.

Wouldnt you rather spend another $170 in a few months time on a rotary than $2000 on a paint job next week ?

:p

Besides, even if you do progress to a rotary, a PC is still excellent for applying the finer products as it has a smaller pad and therefore less waste!

Youll see what I mean when you load up a pad with product for the first time, then wash a load out of the pad when your done.

As for pads .. i use Megs purple one for any sort of compounding and the Megs yellow for applying polish/glaze.
    Sealants and waxes go on by hand.

Never used the Megs white pad yet..........

Death to white cars!
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I have been doing a lot of reading, and I am wondering a couple things. (By the way - I took the plunge and bought a PC7424 today, rather than the rotary... )

I understand that the Klasse AIO I bought is a cleaner as well as a polish... so, would it be safe to assume that using it with the PC and a white polishing pad will remove some swirls/scratches?
    I realize that you should always use the least aggressive product first to solve the problem before progressing to a more aggressive product, but what I am really asking is if anyone has actually used the AIO as a swirl remover, and if it accomplishes this task sufficiently?

Ideas, opinions....

Thanks!
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 87 Monte SS
    I understand that the Klasse AIO I bought is a cleaner as well as a polish... so, would it be safe to assume that using it with the PC and a white polishing pad will remove some swirls/scratches?
    Brian
    Congrats on the purchase, you`ll enjoy using the PC. As for Klasse, it`s really a chemical based (solvents?) cleaner and not an abrasive swirl remover. It really doesn`t do much in the way of swirl/scratch removal and that`s not what it was designed to do anyway.

Natty
    Natty

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, today I finally tested one of the most comon detail products among you: DACP, yes, the one. I also received a botle of Speed Glaze which I didn`t test yet, toghether with some Megs applicators and dispensor botles (?).

My opinion? It`s woth the money. It`s a bit more abrasive than Menzerna`s intensive polish but not as much as their fast cut. I liked the way it worked fast and clean, beeing easy to remove (if not worked till dry).

I used the rotary and a Farecla compound foam with it. The rest of what I did? I`ll start another thread.

Thread Information