Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a good day - (56k warning)

Today wasn`t a good day. Had a trashed 99 Toyota Sienna mini-van.

Ran into a big problem. There was some unidentified sticky stuff on the dash. Appeared to be sap or something similar. Stoners Trim Cleaner wouldn`t touch it. Tried Simple Green cut with water = wouldn`t take it off. Tried straight Simple Green = Wouldn`t work... Finally in desperation, I made a detailer`s mistake: Grabbed a product called "Goof Off" which claimed it would remove anything! It took the sap-like substance off immediately - Amazing! Unfortunately, It also took the dash paint off...

Wow! Was my heart beating on this one...

See the following picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Feeling more and more like an idiot, I ran to CarQuest and bought some vinyl paint to attempt to match, and some 3M tape...

So after my feeble efforts (I`m not a good painter) here is the pitiful result:
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."

Post Thanks / Like
    I felt like this job was going south very quickly...

Here`s a before pic of the ext.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a before pic of the interior (I had taken the seats out to get at the problem better):

Post Thanks / Like
    My work area (I should have stayed in bed today):

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Dont beat up on your self. If that was a Ferrari or Z8 Alpina . I would be worried the car`s state was already so bad they wouldent have even noticed. So just finish the detail and forget about it. The dash looks good, I wouldent use Goo Off its pretty strong I used it once on my carpet it left it this wierd brown color then turned to grey in a couple of days and it still stinks.

For that kind of Job next time I would try Meguiars Heavy Duty Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner. Or some Rubbing Alchoal 50/50 with water.

P.S I like what you did with the extension cord. Got any more pics of the carpet after you cleaned it that thing looks terrible.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like

Conclusion

Here`s the conclusion of this story:

I felt awful over the dash situation. I didn`t think that my fix-up job was very good at all... I brought the owner out to see it after I was finished completely.... Took her all around the vehicle, and pointed out everything - Including the dash... Then presented her with the bill on which I marked "Complimentary Detail - No Charge".

I then told her to sent me a bill for the difference in repairing the dash....

She wouldn`t hear of it. Insisted on paying me.... I insisted on her NOT paying me. I told her I was a perfectionist. The best detailer around, and when I make a mistake like this - I couldn`t in all good faith take any money for it...

She said she was very happy with the job, and if I wouldn`t charge her for it could I please accept a tip???
    After I reluctantly agreed to take a tip - she proceeded to write me a check for $190................. AND said she`d be referring me to everyone...

Am I crazy for hanging my head in shame?

Here`s an exterior after I was finished:

Post Thanks / Like
    Fr0zen,

Thanks for the compliments and tips...

I didn`t take very many "after" pics. I think I was kinda` disgusted with myself...

I did take this one though... Note that there were still some remaining stains in the carpeting...

Yeah, this van was bad...

Maybe tomorrow will be a better day..... The tip was nice, but it felt like a slap in the face - I don`t really do this for the money. I do this because It is what I do... The money follows, sure... but on days like today, even though it was a 7 hour project, I still don`t feel like I earned anything I made....

This is the psychological trauma that goes with being one of those perfectionist detailers....

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just out of curiosity and partly because I`ve done it so many times, but how many times did you give up detailing cars forever durring that job? Myself, I would have quit at least 3 times. I still would have finished it but I would probably feel the same way you felt. I`ve got to have things perfect too and it just really buggz me when i screw up or am not able to do something the way I think I should be able to. You do good work. Remind me to bring you my car if I`m ever in your area.

Post Thanks / Like
    nah its not a slap in the face just a suggestion for next time. The car looks amazing after that much crap and crud im suprised it came out so good I couldent tell that the dash was damaged.

By the way Did you use an extractor on the carpet. ?
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Detailing "The Fuzz`s" `````in` Camaro??!!! It would be an honor...

I swore off detailing forever quite a few times during this job... I actually started thinking about those comfortable office jobs I used to have. I can`t do the office thing anymore though... I`ll lose my sense of machismo and turn into a "pencil neck" again (Not to mention the great tan I get from this - )

Fr0zen,
    Yes I have an extractor that I used on the carpet. I have to heat my water with my generator and an immersion heater since the extractor doesn`t have a built-in heater... I actually scrub by hand first using lotsa carpet shampoo foam to loosen everything. By the time I`m finished my water is heated, and I spray and deep pull them... Love that clear nozzle so I can watch "God knows what" being sucked up in there....

Onthespot

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Fr0zen, - You misunderstood me.... I meant the tip that the customer gave me ($190) felt like a slap in the face, when I felt like the job had gone completely south....

Yer tip was very much appreciated..

When I get time - I`m setting up that can of Goof-Off in my backyard, and getting the 357 out for some much needed "venting".

Onthespot
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh oh ok. Yeah I love the Clear Nossil to see the green and brown water gettin sucked up. Watch out with that goo off crap its flammible.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like

Great job !!!

Remember that there is a reason why that car was in that condition. Your hard work was greatly appreciated becaude the owner probably thought that the van could never look that good again !!! And as stated earlier this was not someones prized Ferrari, but a daily driver. I must admit that when I first started out detailing I did a lot of my rotary "practice" on light colored high mileage daily drivers. I also "try out" new products on lower end vehicles and if I were satisfied with the results the product become part of my aresenal. BTW... Your commitment to providing such a high level of service will not go unnoticed and word of mouth referrals will be flying at you soon !! Be ready !!!
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like

Onthespot

I once took a very small (1/8" x 3/4") slice of paint out of a 2000 Suburban front bumper. I probably could of disguised it but told the owner immediately and offered to pay or fix it myself. A week later I got a bill for $375 from this guy!! He took it to a body shop who convinced him that the whole bumper had to be repainted. Then he had the gall to tell me that there is no primer under the paint on those bumpers as I was writing him the check.

I like the outcome of your story better.

Good for you!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information