Post Thanks / Like

These results with 3M SMR boggle me!

OK..
    I used 3M Rubbing Compound.
    Then I use 3M SMR 39009 Dark Color.

Now: I used the SMR with PC and Stock foam pad that came with it.

Car looked really good. WOW I said..But Still I was able to see the swirls and markings and I wasn`t really impressed.
    That`s why I had written this post earlier this week.
    http://detailcity.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1318

Now. I used this NEW product in town..
    Sales rep. for pro shops-detailers and body shops..has been buying this over 3M products and has made many shops use it.
    He tells me it doesn`t HIDE like the 3M line does..but it actually takes down a fine layer and you see the difference.
    Product is called Race Glaze. Made in the USA.
    Comes is three steps.
    Race Glaze Fast Action (strong compound)
    Race Glaze Leveling Compound( Mild)
    And the Race Glaze Sealant.
    I decide to try the Leveling Compound.

Ok Guys..This freaked me out.
    I decided to get a GOOD - Right foam pad.. So I buy a Yellow Foam pad for compound-polishing.. 6inch for the PC.

I go ahead a use the yellow foam pad with the PC and the Race Glaze Leveling Compound.
    This thing made the car shine & look so deep and left such a shine...It looked as if the 3M didn`t do anything!

This thing removed swirls, shined buffed the surface and left this imaculate shine on the car..
    I don`t know if it was due to the Yellow Foam Pad over the stock unit that came with the PC or the compound itself..

Do you guys think it`s the foam pad or the Compound that made the difference?
    BY|TW..The yellwo foam pad is one of those concave ones..and the out edge turned really black...
    Car looks amazing..and I just washed it with Dawn..and have started the Zaino process this evening.
    The gas pedal always listens..
    The brake pedal doesn`t...
    Drive`em safe.

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please don`t knock the 3M product line. It isn`t what i use personaly but i know it is a great line and works marvels. I have used and seen it used many times and the result is flawless. My guess is the reason you had little luck using 3Ms smr is that it`s not made for removing buffing marks! It is meant to be a regular smr. To go on from the compound you should have used either there PI III machine glaze or their Foam Polishing Pad Glaze. The Machine glaze does not fill at all either. I`m glad you found some products you like though. That`s always good. Good luck using them.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Koop
    Please don`t knock the 3M product line. It isn`t what i use personaly but i know it is a great line and works marvels. I have used and seen it used many times and the result is flawless. My guess is the reason you had little luck using 3Ms smr is that it`s not made for removing buffing marks! It is meant to be a regular smr. To go on from the compound you should have used either there PI III machine glaze or their Foam Polishing Pad Glaze. The Machine glaze does not fill at all either. I`m glad you found some products you like though. That`s always good. Good luck using them.
    I`m not knocking it at all..
    And I did state in my post that I DID use the Foam Polishing Pad Glaze pn. 5995 For Dark Colors.I was wondering why the 3M didn`t leave as good a finish as this RACE GLAZE..
    bY FAR..I DO LIKE THEIR line..I intend on going to the P.I. III line shortly as well..
    I was just wondering actually if the foam pads do play such a major role in the outcome??

Thanks for the input..
    Drive`em safe.

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Then I use 3M SMR 39009 Dark Color." is what you acutaly said, but it`s not a big deal. Pad and tool choice is very important when using some products. With the 3M pad glaze I`ve only had marginal luck with a pc. It`s made for use with a rotory and a polishing pad. Some producst like poorboys work equaly well with rotory pc or hand. The 3M products need to be fully worked with a rotory untill the glaze starts to disapear. The only thing I really don`t like about a lot of the 3M line is (and why i don`t use it) that it leaves a lot of pds behind (petrolium distolates) leaveing the paint kinda smeary like there is oil sitting on it. It does come off but not easily. If you like the race glaze better don`t change. It might be a better product for you. I know I like nortons liquid abrasive line better and that`s what i`m using now. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Boss_429
    Tarios,

I agree, the pad has a great deal to do with the final results, and I don`t think you were knocking the 3M products, you just found a product that works easier/better for you.

Funny, the Race Glaze products sound very similar to Poorboys products............. water based, no wax or silicone. That should make them compatible with the Zaino polishes.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys..
    Just to correct my explanation on product pn numbers:

I thought the 5995 and the 39009 were the same thing-both SMR`s..just a different number according to the bottle size.
    5995 being a big bottle..and the 39009 being the smaller version sold by Dwayne `s place.
    Drive`em safe.

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your welcome and I am sorry if i came off as rude or abrasive. I just got a little defencive. Happy detailing.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    "Race Glaze Fast Action (strong compound)
    Race Glaze Leveling Compound( Mild)
    And the Race Glaze Sealant.
    I decide to try the Leveling Compound."

where to get these products at a good price?
    please advise.
    kr36

Post Thanks / Like
    WellI got them here in Montreal.
    I don`t know where aboutot get them in teh US.BUT they are a USA product.
    So I am SURE if you search the web..you`ll find something on it..
    I ll do a better check tomorrow and give you the company name itself and mayeb a town where its made..
    Drive`em safe.

Thread Information