Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb New Paint Protection What is Your Thoughts?

Hi all, just had my "Girl" painted and was wondering what the school of thought was here on using a product to protect it while it waits for her 60-90 day curing process? Also, what do you all recommend, if anything?

Thanks!

TC
    :drool
    There Is a Very Fine Line Between "Hobby" And "Mental Illness"

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard that the 60-90 curing process is bull for todays paint and proceedures. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I have had painters tell me that the paint is ready to roll when it comes out and you won`t have to wait for it to "cure".

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I thought that was true as well with off the factory production line heat treatments but not with just painted body shop paint jobs due to the low heat drying process.....??

I would like to put something on her for a little piece of mind if nothing else... Ok I am obsessed!

TC

:cool

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use IHG or any glaze that dosn`t contain wax or sealant. Your probably better off just washing and using a QD with out wax in it like Meg`s. Poorboys S&W would also be good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been painting for about 10 years and you can wax, polish, compound even wetsand the very same day and not run into any problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is what I thought. My painter told me the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    You run into problems when applying a wax or sealer to a newly painted vehicle. Especially on the base coat / clear coat finishes
    The wax or sealant seals in the solvents that need to evaporate from the paint.
    If the body shop bakes the paint after application, many products are then fully cured and wax or sealant can be applied.
    many shops do not bake the paint afterwards and then 30 - 90 days of cure time are required before waxing.
    Each paint manufacturer varies on this requirement so check with the body shop manager first.
    I have personally seen wax that has been applied too soon cause the paint to:
    A. Not harden completely
    B. Haze
    C. Create small pits in the surface because the solvents and gasses cannot get out of the paint.
    Follow the manufacturer`s directions.
    Wet sanding, polishing and applying some glazes are usually OK on new paint because they do not seal the paint.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    The wax or sealant seals in the solvents that need to evaporate from the paint.

Would someone please explain to me how this stuff is supposed to magically penetrate through the clearcote to evaporate, which is essentially hardened plastic. I just doesn`t make any sense to me. I keep hearing this stuff come up with out any really good supportive chemical theory. Solvents in paint would evaporate very quickly. Try pouring some solvent cleaner etc. on anything and watch how quickly that stuff evaporates, this stuff would evaporate before you could even spray the car with any clearcote. Yet they wait before even spraying the clearcote on the car, so if there were any solvents evaporating etc. they should be long gone into the exhaust fans or some poor saps lungs.
    If I had better friends I wouldn`t drink so much!

Post Thanks / Like
    the ONLY reason paint shops bake the car after painting is to get more cars in and out quicker, that is the only reason they bake them, it is not something that has to be done. I usually dont bake mine, because i like to load up on the clear coat and the heat could actually cause a run that wasnt there before.

Post Thanks / Like
    "DITTO"

Couldn`t have said it better, and also exactly why I would wax away at will without waiting 60-90 days.
    If I had better friends I wouldn`t drink so much!

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess for my own peace of mind ... I am going to follow the manufacturer`s directions.
    I do not bake anything I paint but a local body shop that does work for me does and their clearcoat cures out a lot harder than mine does.
    Also many of the base coat / clear coat products have specifications as to the application thickness, especially on the clear. I have painted vehicles off and on for over 30 years and while todays products can achieve great results, they are not near as forgiving as some of the old single stage paints.

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Ok thanks all for the great comments... my auto body shop did indeed bake my car with two coats of clear at what ever the safest temp was, I think he said 120 but not sure, not to damage electrical and what not... it came out real nice... :cool

They did say not to wax it and I can`t replace my clear bra until 90 days... so this is why I am asking...

I think it is safe to hand apply a coat or two of Klasse SG.. to protect it... I had no chips or swirls prior to my accident and I don`t want any now....

TC

Last edited by tcfool; 04-08-2004 at 07:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Klasse SG is in fact a sealant. I wouldn`t recommend it at this time.
    Something like meg`s Show car glaze or New car glaze is as much protection as I would put on at this time. These products contain some oils but no silicone or polymers. With new paint, sometimes just a good wash with a soft mit and good car wash is all that is needed. You will find that the water will bead up just like there is wax on the car. Good Luck. Didn`t mean to create any controversy. I just know some of the problems I have had in the past.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Kim.... I will investigate your suggestion... and the Megs!

:cool

TC
    :beat

Post Thanks / Like
    I EX`d my truck the day after painting clear coat, no bake.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information