Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not Again!!! Help!!!

I am just not having a good week.... Long story. Anyway, I am backing into my spot at work this morning and I got a little close to the chain link fence. It wouldn`t have been so bad if I hadn`t hit it square on the pole. Now I have two indentations in my paint from the fence. Any idea on how to fix something like that? Should I treat it as a scratch and break out the touch up or is there a better way? I`ll take a picture of it when I get a chance. My computer is in the shop right now so I won`t be able to upload pictures for awhile.

The dents look like the paint was just smudged. Like it was still wet or something. Its not showing anything underneath or anything like that. I`m just sick about this right now. I just went through a lot of time and frustration getting this SOB fixed from the last time it got hit. Any thoughts?
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    PDR and polish?
    Chances are if you polish out the smudged area, noone will notice it but you. (This from a guy that had a 1/4 panel painted because of a 1/8" chip)

If your touchup paint matches good, you might be able to touch it up and then level it with Mother`s (Lanka) paint leveling product. I have used it with mixed results, someitmes good, sometimes not. One nice thing about using it is the fact that you can remove all the touchup paint and start over if you are not happy with the results.
    Forrest at Mother`s suggested using the plastic card that comes with the product like a razor to reduce the size of the blob of touchup paint before using the leveler. Haven`t tried that yet.

Charles

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its definitely a little deeper than a `smudge`. Its more like an impression of the wires of the fence. Its not as bad as it looked right after it happened. The paint seems to have bounced back a little bit. It is still going to be a pain. I doubt that it will be too much to take it to a body shop and have them fix it. There is a little black line above the impressions that I`m concerned about. I just can`t believe I did that.... I`m usually so careful. I always back into my parking spot and this is the first time I have ever hit anything in my entire life.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did it hit your car?
    Is there a dent or just a smudge?
    The reason I ask is because if it is in the plastic bumper, sometimes minor impressions can be pushed out from behind after heating the plastic either by the sun or with a hair dryer.
    If it is in the metal, try polishing out the marks and then find a good PDR guy ... they can do amazing stuff.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Thread Information