Post Thanks / Like

Questions from a Newbie

I`m kind of new to all this, so forgive me if my questions are a little basic. All of my questions are basicly just to take care of my own ride. (a red full size P/U) A few weeks ago I did the dawn wash followed by clay,cleaner,polish,and wax. I used all Mother`s products. But I plan on switching to Platinum. My questions are:

1 Would P21 be a good product to maintain what I have already done. Before I do the whole thing over in Platinum? (My car stays outside all of the time and I wax about every three weeks)

2 I have dried wax on the rubber trim around my windows. What is a good product to remove it?

3 And I hear detail guys talk about AP all the time. What are some of the good brands. And can I use it on everything?

Thanx
    Billy

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions from a Newbie

Originally posted by Billy_Blazes
    I`m kind of new to all this, so forgive me if my questions are a little basic. All of my questions are basicly just to take care of my own ride. (a red full size P/U) A few weeks ago I did the dawn wash followed by clay,cleaner,polish,and wax. I used all Mother`s products. But I plan on switching to Platinum. My questions are:

1 Would P21 be a good product to maintain what I have already done. Before I do the whole thing over in Platinum? (My car stays outside all of the time and I wax about every three weeks)

2 I have dried wax on the rubber trim around my windows. What is a good product to remove it?

3 And I hear detail guys talk about AP all the time. What are some of the good brands. And can I use it on everything?

Thanx
    Billy
    Welcome to DC.
    Since no one is giving you many suggestions, I`ll throw out a few.

1. If you are referring to P21S wax, it is a great product, but if you plan to switch to Platinum, why not just continue to use the Mother`s products until you make the change? The P21S will have to be removed before the Platinum is applied, anyway. Save your money to buy whatever products you want to end up with. You already have the Mother`s and they are good products.

2. Removing wax residue has never been easy for me. My best results were using a QD and a toothbrush to try to get it off. I think it probably wore it off rather than actually dissolving the residue. Using a product that doesn`t stain molding was the solution.

3. If you are talking about an (A)ll (P)urpose cleaner, I happen to use Meguiar`s APC+ and have had good results with it. There are several on the market, but one thing most of them have in common. They are strong cleaners. Be sure to follow the manufacturers recommendations for mixing the product. Many of them are very concentrated and can strip wax and discolor paint,aluminum or plastic.

You didn`t ask, but save the Dawn for washing your foam applicators and doing the dishes. If you are using a good cleaner/polish, the Dawn isn`t needed. It is a grease (petroleum product) remover and IMO, it will also remove some of the basic oils (petroleum products) from plasic, vinyl, rubber, paint.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Charles
    Thanx for the reply. That was just the kind of info I was looking for.

Billy

Thread Information