Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Methoid of applying bold and bright?

how do you apply your bold and bright onto your tires? i feel i may be something wrong, because sometimes i get an uneven distribution, and some parts are lighter than others. i use some kinda tire swipe, and i think its something that i may have to change. what is you preferred method of applying bold and bright?

also, i notice that sometimes when it gets on the rims, it makes a mess, so usually i try to dress the tires, then again go over the rims with a fast spray and wipe.
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like
    I normally use a foam paint brush for applying BnB, though I have used curved tire swipes and round yellow foam applicators as well. I transfer the BnB to a bottle with a yorker cap (thin tapered tip) and squeeze fine lines of product onto the applicator. I brush/swipe/rub the product over the tires. Let sit for about 15 minutes, then buff off any excess with an inexpensive cotton terry towel. I rarely get any BnB on my wheels using this method.

The buffing part could solve your uneven distribution problem. Another possibility might be that the tires were not thoroughly cleaned and there was some other type of old dressing left behind. Just a thought. :dunno

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I usually just spray it on the tires, then wipe the rim with a clean cotton cloth, wait a few minutes(usually as long as it takes to spray all the tires and wipe all the wheels), then buff off any remaining product with another cotton cloth...my shine lasts a long time with this method.
    Also as awd330 pointed out, blotches and uneveness are usually from a tire not thoroughly cleaned, and I often scrub the tire with the Bold N Bright with a nylon brush and then wipe with a cotton cloth, especially tires with raised white letters or whitewalls(separate cloth should be used on RWL & WW).
    There are exceptions to every rule...I have found some tires, over many years of detailing, that just never seem to hold a dressing....most notably were Pirrelli`s and some very low profile tires.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    youve caught me in the act!!! i do not throughly clean my tires... what should i use to clean my tires? car wash + brush?

hmmm, also, where can i find a foam paint brush? now that sounds very interesting.

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like
    Zesty, I have been using Orange Blast with a tire brush. Works well and cost efficient.

Post Thanks / Like
    :nono zesty ..if you don`t want an extra step, then just spray it on and use a brush with the BnB, this will also clean the tire, just remember to buff well to avoid sling..if you want more gloss, then reapply with the foam tire applicator ...
    most dollar or paint stores have foam brushes

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once you get them real clean, upkeep is easy with a brush and a bucket of car wash. I have a seperate bucket for tires/wheels/wheelwells.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a foam applicator and it works fine. Never any mess or uneven coverage. I clean the tires with a pressure washer. Bending over to brush them is hard on the back. I`m old.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a separate tire cleaner to get the tires nce and clean. I then spray on Bold N Bright and wipe evenly with a tire swipe. After I do all four tires, I go around with an old MF towel and buff off any excess.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    Walmart has a foam tire dressing applicator along with a tire brush. Really nice as the pad i curved to the tire and about the size of a normal tire on any car. It is regularly $5.00 fot the pair but they dropped the price to $3.50 in my Walmart.
    1969 GTO Judge 2002 Ford Escape

Post Thanks / Like
    I use one of the foam tire dressing applicators as well....though I buy them from the local $1 store in 3-packs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever tried to get you an actual paint brush? Pour you some tire dressing in a small bowl or container, dip the brush in and "paint" the tires with it. I have gotten that to work well. Spreads evenly and leaves a nice shine.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JaredPointer
    Have you ever tried to get you an actual paint brush? Pour you some tire dressing in a small bowl or container, dip the brush in and "paint" the tires with it. I have gotten that to work well. Spreads evenly and leaves a nice shine.
    I`ve seen that with some very thick silicone products but never with a water-based product:dunno I would think it would leave brush patterns unless buffed or followed with a foam applicator,
    which would mean more steps.

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm. thanks for the help. maybe ill try scurbing my tires really hard next time, then use a foam applicator to apply the bold and bright, and see how well that works out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi again,

The Walmart foam applicator is a little different as it has a handle (hence the extra cost pf $3.50 as to $1) plus it comes with a tire brush contoured to the shape of the tire as well. Great for scrubbing dirt and grime off with B&B. Just remember to use a cloth after to remove the dirt that you just scrubbed off before using the applicator. :jump
    1969 GTO Judge 2002 Ford Escape

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information