Thread: Boats

Post Thanks / Like

Boats

I went 90 days back in the forum, I thought I remembered seeing a post on boat detailing but I couldn`t find it. Can anyone share their expertise on boat detailing, I have one lined up for this week. This is my first one> Do you approach it same as a car, or are their different products for boats. Thanks, gary
    turbomangt
    www.perfectautofinish.com

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do a search for boat all the way back to the beginning. You will find a few posts about boat detailing, but not a lot.
    The only experience I have is on my own boats and I have used and still use the same products I use on my vehicles. There are many specialty boat cleaners and waxes, but unless you have severe stains, algae, or heavy scum buildup, they may not be needed.
    My boat is kept on a lift and I can clean what little water stains that show up with Clean Shower and a bug sponge. In years past, I used Meguiar`s products, but this year I used the AIO/UPP combination I have been using on my van. The boat still looks good and has only needed plain water wash downs so far this season.
    A boat that has bad water deposits will probably need some pretty strong stuff to clean it the first time. Many of those are acid based and obviously need to be used with care. A local marina will have most of the cleaners available and you might be lucky enough to find someone there that know something about boats to make suggestions.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    CharlesW, is correct.
    There are special products that will help you clean easier and better. Make sure you know what problems the boat has before you start. A lot of boat detailers around here use 3M products. I use that plus some Megs also.
    Is the boat in the water or out? If in the water, you are going to want to use EPA safe products. The products you use on your car will work also. It has always been a rumor that boat products are car products packaged in a differant container. Some products are made just for gel coat finishes and don`t work well on autos.(the debate continues.)
    There should be a boat repair business around you. Check with them on what they use.
    Good luck. Send pictures.
    I treat them all like they are my very own.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am finishing a 19` boat later today, and used the 3M PIII line with no problems. Just remember boats are a lot of work, charge accordingly.

ardetailing,
    Which marine or boat specific products do you use or recommend?

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Post Thanks / Like
    I detail boats... Crazy as this may sound, I actually enjoy it!

There are some different techniques obviously, but if you can detail cars - then boats come naturally.

Be prepared for mildew - especially if the owner neglected to cover the boat or adequately prepare for winter. A great mildew cutter is Simple Green and water and a scrub brush... Works great!

Here is a link to a boat that I detailed:
    22 foot Sylvan

For this boat I charged about $210. Took me about 8 hours... As Edschwab stated - charge accordingly.

Regards,
    Onthespot

Post Thanks / Like
    onthespot

Nice work there on the boat!!

I agree about the Simple Green and a scrub brush, works well for myself also.

Post Thanks / Like

boats

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry it took so long to post results, been swamped. anyway, the boat was a fiberglass ski boat. 27 years old, garage kept, used twice a year for vacation. Limited salt water, mostly used in fresh. color red. I did use simple green solution first. The top coat had a white chauky haze which appeared to be under the (clear? gel? or whatever they use) I tried aol first, wasn`t aggrasive enough. Meg fine cut seemed to work better so I used that with a PC, and by hand in tight spots. then went to aol, and upp. It looked much better, owner was happy, but it wasn`t up to MY standards. I can see that their are tricks that my inexperience left me short on. I might add that working on my back under the haul was NOT fun either. This is a whole new league, this boat thing. I think I`ll work on vehicles I`m familiar with. time to go Mullet hunting> whatever that is. Gary www.perfectautofinish.com
    turbomangt
    www.perfectautofinish.com

Post Thanks / Like
    edschwab1,
    Sorry for late reply. I have a few things that I use but the following are the products I continue to go back to. I know, if it ain`t broke don`t fix it.

Dolphinite soap
    Collinite cleaner 920 for spot cleaning
    For blood I have several cleaners, none of which is better than the other
    Megs gel coat cleaners (fine to heavy cleaner)
    Megs and 3M polishes and waxes (I like Megs for colored paint)

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    ardetailing
    Thanks. Do you deal with a lot of blood on boats? Or do you like fish guts. Do you purchase the megs stuff by the gallon, or in 16oz bottles? If in small bottles how far does one small bottle go?

Gary,
    On the boat I just finished I did not crawl under the hull to complete tyhe bottom, only above the water line.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by edschwab1
    On the boat I just finished I did not crawl under the hull to complete tyhe bottom, only above the water line.

Eric
    Eric: Was the boat still in the water when you were detailing the exterior? Most of the work cleaning mine is below the water line.

Charles

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    How on earth do you detail the exterior of a boat that is still in the water?!?!?

I wouldnt do it unless they offered to remove the boat from the water, otherwise, I would just clean and protect the interior.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW
    Eric: Was the boat still in the water when you were detailing the exterior? Most of the work cleaning mine is below the water line.
    The boat was on a trailer. The boat is a 198*`s 19` Wellcraft, exterior maintained was heavily oxidized and nearing new Imron, if no action was taken. Once the boat is out of the water at the end of the season I will have more time to clean and detail below the water line. I did not know about acid washing the hull, I have to learn more about this.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    For 28 years, I have been taking care of my own boats. 19` and 20` I/O`s.
    If they are left in the water and not cleaned for a season, the acid bath is probably the way to go. Buy something that is intended for cleaning hulls and follow the directions. It is acid!
    My end of the season boat cleaning of a boat kept on a lift and washed down once in a while, I do with Clean Shower. Once it is on the trailer, just spray it on, scrub a very few places and hose it off.
    For years I used Meguiar`s products for protection and they seemed to do a good job. This year, AIO/UPP went on before the boat went in the water. Seems to be holding up as good as the Meguiar`s Medallion I used in years past.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    adschwab1,
    I buy the small bottles most of the time. It is hard to say how much I can get done with each bottle, one boat, two boats.... They seem to last long enough for the guys at the boat mart to notice that I haven`t been in for awhile.
    For cleaning large boats in the water I usually do the rub rail and up. When I have to do the rub rail down to the water line I have a floating (duh) platform that I secure to the side of the boat. It gets a little rough when another boat goes by but it works great.
    If the owner of the boat every has to pull the boat into dry dock, I will then do the rub rail down with many coats of protection to make life easier when it is in the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot, Star Bright makes some good spot cleaners and Orphine makes a good wash.

Thread Information